Tuning boxes

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by meganec, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Hi all. Be just got my first Megane, a 2010 2.0dti GT Sport and I have to say I love it already and I've only had it 2 weeks

There's probably lots of topics on here and I know there are on the web regarding tuning boxes. However im after some clear advice.

I don't have time to send my car in for re mapping as I use it every day, so I would like to add a tuning box which I can add and remove as and when I please.

I'm not a mad driver but I would like to help with fuel economy but then give me a good punch when I put my foot down.

There's lots of company's who claim there box give this that and the other which im sure some are un realistic.

So what do you all recommend without damaging my new pride and joy.

I have seen a tuning box which plugs into the fuel rail and the inter cooler, I'm guessing these are the better type ?

Thanks again

2. Stay away from them, even if you do fit one you need to put your car on the rollers to get the afr checked, imo people who fit them boxes don't have a clue about how important correct afr is

3. Ok so im gonna ask the dumb question. What does a safe afr look like?

4. Depends on the car and comp ratio, on idle it's about 14.7 on most vehicles, that's lean but it don't hurt the car, if u fit a tuner box without dyno mapping then u run the risk of running lean on WOT, tuner boxes can also run very rich to compensate and you run the risk of bore washing, piston wear and crappy mileage, all depends on the car tho, running towards the lean side does give you more power but can also destroy your valves and engine. Best to get the timing and afr checked on a dyno if using them tuner boxes, in all fairness I would bin it

5. Ovy

Ovy

Is the car a diesel? If so the tuning them is different.

6. 2.0 dti GT He says.

I've seen some very good results with tuning boxes on diesels.
    Not my cars but on dyno days.
    Some are crap though so check before you buy.

7. The diseasal boxes are mostly the same. They work on the principle of basically banging more fuel in by tricking the car into thinking its running a lower voltage , therefore the voltage is increased and the pressure goes back up.

Its a dangerous game to play as other sensors become uncalibrated from this.

IF something is cheap , there is a reason for it normally.

8. Yes it's a diesel turbo. This is my first diesel. What's an Afr ?

The box I was looking at adjusted the boost and fuel so not sure if this makes a difference ?

So do you think I should stay away and just get a remap on the current ECU ?

9. A remap is definatly better, but again a minefield. Use a recognised reputable tuner as some maps are bad.

10. Diesels in sense are easier to tune but once something goes wrong it's more or less the end of the engine, get it on the rollers and map it using someone that knows their stuff. Diesals once mapped produce a lot of torque so remember your suspension and breaking will also be effected. Parts wear out quicker

11. Thanks for the help, think I might leave it for now. Just been reading about FAP which my car has and this even scares me.

12. U on about the dpf? I've come across a lot of dpf problems, mostly fuel filling up during the regeneration period and not being able to burn the blockage which results in fuel entering the system and mixing with the oil, loads of people have different opinions on it and mine would be to get a dpf delete kit and tune the ecu so it's out of regen mode, problem solved till mot time then just stick it back on

13. Yes sorry the DPF. Didn't even think the type of oil mattered as much until reading up yesterday either !

Sounds a bit of a stupid thing to have if it doesn't really work / regenerate.

I'm going to see how it goes with the DPF and if it starts becoming an issue I'll do the option of deleting kit and removing until MOT.

14. A tuning box will be absolutely fine. The more expensive boxes plug into the odd port and alter the map from there. If the box your after alters the boost aswell it will be the odd port type of box.

Older cheaper boxes plugged into the fuel rail and alter the fuel pressure as said before. Basically just a resistor. The boost was the adjusted manually via the actuator arm gaining 2-3 psi.

The easiest option regarding the dpf is just to remove the innards. I'm unsure weather this will throw up the engine management light up though. So dependent on the price of the tuning box a remap might be the best option.

15. I totally tally disagree about a tuner box being fine, without checking afr and det it's risky, I know the gtr boys download and send maps to a mapper in Germany who alters and sends it back for download, it's been a big hit and it's pretty cheap but even they do a dyno run to check fueling.

gutting the DPF sounds like a good idea

16. Its a 2.0 renault dci diesel engine not a nissan gtr petrol turbo engine the op has. A good quality tunning box from a reputable company will be completely fine.

Pretty much everyone with a tuned vauxhall 1.9 cdti engine runs a tunning box because they produce good reliable results cheaply and are removable.

17. The gtr was only an example for what can be done to get a decent map tailored to your car and if you think it's ok to get a tuner box with a map that don't check for variables such as det knock, boost creep, engine temp, timing etc etc then that's your choice.