Tuning a 58,000 mile engine

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by legoman, Nov 21, 2015.

1. As above what are you're thoughts on tuning the r26 Engine with 58,000 miles on it ?. Had the car since it had 30,000 miles on it , its had all the belts changed at the correct time. and has had the oil and filters changed every 8,000 miles. You're thoughts please.:smile:

2. I'm new to megs but not to tuning! Doing it for the sake of it never makes sense so just make sure you have a idea of what u want to improve, look at your budget and make sure you use a reputable garage.

Priority IMO should always be given to chassis. Brakes, suspension and roll bars. This should be followed by in turbo'd cars at least a good intake and 'full' exhaust system and a remap.

Small things done by the right people using quality bits can transform a car. Failing that fire a td05 20g turbo on and get on with it!

3. I don't need or want huge power. well at least not enough torque to rip the bottom end apart. It's not the mods that concern me, it's the miles on the motor that concern me the most.

4. I picked my one up with 64k totally standard,

Its now on 80k after being remapped by RST in Feb, and been given death 4 times on track as well.

I wouldn't worry about it!

5. Thanks that's all I needed to know .

6. I bought my r26 last July, standard car 64k.

Since then it's been tuned to 287bhp 312ftlb of torque done 7 trackdays which equates to over a 1200 miles of abuse for me on track and a ring trip too!

7. Good engines then!

8. The engines aren't known to fail unless you try and push too much torque through them on standard internals. They seem to be fairly bulletproof with light tuning, along with the gearbox.

9. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

Mine has done over 111k and in the process of going stage 2+

10. Nothing to worry about, 58k is nothing.

11. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

As above, Im on 65k running over 330bhp with no issues and will be going Hybrid i think. Thats a MK3 mind you with the stronger internals.