'Tubular manifold'

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by matt e, Oct 9, 2017.

1. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

2. it doesn't look like it is a equal length manifold, so i won't say it is worth it.

MilosB likes this.
  3. Haha the classic cheapo tubular. Let me start by saying absolutely do not touch that with a barge pole.i learnt this from being part of the toyota starlet world many moons ago as these where "popular".When being made and welding those style mainfolds it is done quickly and cheaply,metals of very poor quality, the flange that bolts to the head of your car is 9 times out of ten not perfectly flat because when u are welding one of these manifolds up u are meant to tack weld the flange to a flat surface then commence welding of the pipes to the flange etc and where they dont do this the flange becomes distorted due to the heat and process that occurs to metal,this in turn when u bolt ure new bargain manifold to your head will quickly pull a stud out of soft alloy head of your poor car.

Cast iron ones like the ones we have as standard will more than likely flow just as well as a cheap tubular but the iron one is fit for purpose and 10 times stronger.

4. just a copy of a cast version if you put them side by side, no improvement whatsoever, How many R26 are remapped near the 300bhp ish with a standard manifold...

Stay away from it would be my recomendations and like Mikey4410 said is well true, not so easy to make a proper one

5. haFnN8.jpg

engine killer likes this.
  6. cgrautomotive

cgrautomotive RSM Trader

Tubular manifolds are only worth doing if they're designed properly and tuned for the engine.

On the factory turbo you won't really get much of a gain but there would definitely be gains to be had, however because of the design and manufacturing process needed to make it perfect they can become quite costly, and generally only justified when going for an aftermarket turbo.

Si271 and engine killer like this.
  7. I would say the oem is better as it keps the pulses splitnon the two short runners and ond the two long ones and mixes them only in the turbo :smile:

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk