Tubes r26 'project track'

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by Tubes, Mar 27, 2015.

1. So getting bored of the workhorse but still requiring a diesel for the mileage that I cover I had to find a suitable middle ground in order to get my ‘fix’ which in turn sparked an impulsive purchase of this Megane for track days and occasional weekend blat. Dave of the ‘Red one on Slicks’ variety found it on Instagram in the morning, a deal was done and drive to Manchester ensued, all checked out and I made the leap. My brothers own Renaultsport's (r26 & r27) so I was aware of what i was letting myself in for. The car as it turned out happened to be previously owned by a couple of people on here.

One from Instagram of the advert -

[​IMG]
    One of the things that grabbed me the most was its modifications which would save me a few pennies in the long run:
    ITG Panel Filter
    Forge Recirculation Valve
    Forge Front Mount Intercooler
    Forge Enlarged/Alloy Pipe Work
    Forge Silicone Hose Kit
    Sieman 630cc Injectors
    Brembo HC disc’s
    RS Tuning ‘Stage 2’ Remap
    Cooksport springs
    Vibratechnic Gearbox mount
    Lightweight (and super rare) 18” Technomagnesio wheels.
    Turbo Back Milltek Exhaust
    The car was mapped to just under 280bhp (I’m led to believe) but the clutch was slipping so it was backed off to around 265/270bhp.

Plans at this stage include:
    Coilovers (likely to be BC) and some corner weighting
    Swap out the standard seats for some light weight fixed back buckets (likely to be Sabelt)
    Upgrade the brakes to a 330mm set up, braided line and some performance friction pads
    Track rubber (likely to be Federal 595 RSR’s to start)
    An uprated clutch to handle the power and torque
    Get the map tweaked to suit the power its capable of.
    Plus some few other bits and pieces on its way (i.e. some ducting and cooling for the brakes) and some cosmetic bits (to get it more recognisable as an r26)

Potential future plans could include:
    Fit a used nexus 7 tablet into the car (currently no CD player) for media and to be able to run a variety of apps inc Harry's laptimer and Torque OBD app
    Cage
    More stripping of interior
    Possibly some 17inch wheels with a set of slicks
    Forged engine build (rods, pistons, cams, valves & springs)
    Hybrid Turbo.

First job was to give it a quick wash (read: Take it to Dave’s for him to wash it) and solve a few issues with the car. The car had a Renaultsport gear knob that wouldn't fit, had an abs issue, exhaust rattled a bit and there was a bit of a rattle from the front and the handbrake was a little dodgy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Gearnob done & Handbrake done -

[​IMG]

The ABS sensor just needed removing and cleaning up which cleared that fault.
    The exhaust was adjusted on the rear hangers to stop it making so much noise.
    The rattle from the front turned out to be from the Vibratechnic gearbox mount which stiffen things up so wasn't concerned about that.

At this point I removed the rear seats -

[​IMG]

Then I removed some more bits from the boot.
    But this did make things loud and it looked un tidy. I had some materials lying around so i built a false floor, its added 7g but I reckon I have removed almost 50kg from the car so I maybe able to live with it and ultimately its functional.

[​IMG]

With a net in place -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this point I bagged a harness from Dave, its only a single mount but will do the job until new seats arrive and I have some more money.

[​IMG]

Next up was to try and return it to a standard looking r26 so I sprayed the mirrors with some paint I had lying around (they just need flatting back and polishing up) that were a similar colour to the originals, as I didn’t like the black. I also fitted some genuine side decals

[​IMG]

The latest job was to bleed the brakes as the car had been stood a while and they were spongy. Just whacked in some Motul RBF 600 I had lying around which will do until I sort the brake upgrade.

And this is how it stands, and will probably do so for the next few months until I’m back from holiday in the summer as the barge needs some bits (service/stone chips bumper respraying etc)

I'm dying to get it out on track!

2. So car has stood like this for about two months so the plan for the weekend was to get the brakes and ducting sorted, refurb the Brembo’s, fit braided lines, new pads and high temp fluid, fit my splitter and carryout the air box mod amongst other bits before I look at the general reliability and replacement of worn parts.

[​IMG]

First up was to look at some brake cooling. Using some ducting and trumpets I routed through the old fog light’s in through the arches behind the wheel. Bumper off and fit r26r washer bottle which is considerably smaller due to the fact that it doesn't hold a second pump for the head light wash. This is something that may be considered not overly worth while, but i like it, it adds a motorsport look and is functional, it was tested at with a 'air blaster' at 100 & 150mph and the airflow was very in abundance so it should do a job when at speed.

[​IMG]

Now the trumpets, painted part of them up black and attached to the bumper through the existing fog light mount. Attached half a metre of silicon hose to feed through.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I cut out a section in each of the arch lining to feed the hose and ducting through.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see the ducting through each side. It was a little tight so needed some trial and error to get it right, but now both vent into the wheel arch and don’t obstruct the wheel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next off to whip the bumper back off again and fit the splitter, purely for cosmetic looks but I think it looks a lot more better. This may take more of an ‘aero’ route in the future but will see how things pan out.

[​IMG]

Once the splitter was fitted it was time to turn my attention to the brakes. Off came the front callipers to clean up, paint and refurb seals etc.
    Before -

[​IMG]

During –

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cleaned -

[​IMG]

Seals replaced –
    [​IMG]

Now I turned to the lines, just some regular HEL clear stainless steel lines
    Before –

[​IMG]

After –

[​IMG]

Painted and fitted -

[​IMG]

Now it was time to fit the new pads – On the front Ferodo DS1.11’s and the rear are some OEM (Ferodo’s) pads. Had a chew with the rear offside caliper as it was sticking, had a fight with the caliper rewind tool and a vice and managed to free it up. Once this was sorted the heavens opened so I bailed for the day (so I thought).

Continued....

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  3. ....

Tried to capture a picture of the rain as i was now bored and hoping it would piss off. You can see we are Renaultsport fans.

[​IMG]

Rain cleared so I headed back out at looking at carrying out the ‘airbox mod’ which is essentially opening up the front of the airbox. Some say it improves performance, others say better throttle response, some say it’s for the noise and others say its bollocks. Since I managed to grab a spare airbox off eBay for £14 I thought I would give it a go. Having driven it my verdict would be a nice induction noise and a nice flutter through from the recirc valve and throttle does seem a little more responsive (not sure if placebo or not but meh).
    First up was to remove the battery, battery try and ECU to get access to the airbox.
    During –

[​IMG]

Airbox free and modified –

[​IMG]

It was at this point that I noticed that the standard airbox does have some ducting. It looked pretty poor, so out it came. I had some of the silicon ducting left so I had a look at fitting it. Fortunately without too much adjustment I managed to feed it through the same gap as the previous pipe but down into the wheel arch which gave me options.
    During –

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ducting into the wheel arch....

[​IMG]

Refitted airbox, battery, battery tray and ECU and my new ITG panel filter then called it a night.
    Up this morning to bleed the brakes with the Gulf oil which was recommended by Opie Oils as one of the best performing oils representing good value for money (at ‘only’ £60 for four litre’s).

Brakes bled, I took a look at the ‘cold air feed’ as it was bugging me left how it was as the hose wasn't long enough to duct anywhere useful. As i was clearing through the pile of shit I found a another length of ducting which once mated up would touch the front bumper and become a bit more useful, its not pretty but does a job.

Togetherness –

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mounted –

[​IMG]

Now it’s not mounted where I want it so need to have a think about it and what I’m going to do with it but had enough of it so I have attached it to the front bumper for the time being and i was in a rush.
    Last but not least i fitted some clips to hold the bumper on, as much as i would like to think it gives a bit more of a motorsport look, its purely down to the fact that the bolts in the wheel arches are awful and I lost two!

[​IMG]

Took the car to Dave for another wash (most likely a link to detailing world to follow) and it was ready to roll.
    This is how she stands -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one with the daily hack tucked up for bed.

[​IMG]

Car is of in for a fluid change all round and a general look/prod at before I try and catch some track days before the years out and I take the car off the road for winter.

Next up is some polycarb windows (couldn't say no for the price) and looking to replace the reclining buckets with some lighter, fixed back buckets.

4. [FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Quick update... finished fettling with the camera mounts in thecar for use on track now all the gopro attachments had arrived.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]So first step was to constructa mount from the gopro gooseneck and attachments which will allow me to swapbetween my phone and a gopro simply.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][​IMG][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Removed the rear reading lightand fitted a 3m mount. -[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Resulting in this -[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/Tobyswain/media/Car/10338709_10152662019226405_5827751939633152018_n.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL[/FONT]]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [​IMG][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]And all back together andhidden.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Also wired in a second faglighter in the back of he centre console section to allow me to charge a goproand phone at the same time and as the original fag lighter needed replacing itcost less than a tenner.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]________________________________________________________________________________[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I've ordered some BC coiloverswhich should be here this week and I'm off to Nottingham to GSM / Sportseats4unext week to go and have a look at some fixed back buckets to help improve(read - lower) the driving position and some additional support. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]So with the trackday looming, Igot the car booked in with Mark Black for some TLC, changed all the fluids,swapped over plugs and gave it a bit of a service. Also changed some of theignition coils to give it a bit of life and make sure it wasn’t going to go pop.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Also went to a RR day with aload of boys from FocusSTOC and popped the car on the dyno, it made259bhp/262ftlb but i have seemed to of lost the graph.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/Tobyswain/media/Car/IMG-20140920-WA0003_zpsllucmnp1.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL[/FONT]]

5. [FONT=&quot]I sold my Recaro Trendlines and the bloke came to collect them(for his Toyota Hilux!) so next up was some lighter fixed back buckets. Alwaysbeen a Sabelt fan and these tick the box for me (mainly as all in - runners,side mounts, seats and harnesses were less than i sold the recaros for!). Theguys at GSM performance did a cracking deal so I got underway with getting theminstalled. Unfortunately no pictures during but plenty after. A pretty straightforward bit of kit to fit. The worse things to fit where the KTEC subframeswhich was disappointing given their price.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Seats built up in the garage - [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/Tobyswain/media/Car/IMG-20141010-WA0004_zpsjisnjdb2.jpeg.html][​IMG][/URL[/FONT]]
    [FONT=&quot]Fitted -[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [FONT=&quot]http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/Tobyswain/media/Car/1401286_10152716484256405_4603048773475486966_o.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL[/FONT]]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [FONT=&quot]http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/Tobyswain/media/Car/10714495_10152716484301405_8865204507550567607_o.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL[/FONT]]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [FONT=&quot]http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/Tobyswain/media/Car/1913443_10152716484406405_1657704230346573443_o.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL[/FONT]]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [​IMG][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I am on the lookout for theRenaultsport seat covers as they do a more black and logo’d version.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]To finish off I then had set ofthe Nankang NS2R's in the 120 track compound fitted to complete ready forBlyton on Sunday.[/FONT]

6. Did a trackday on the 26th October at Blyton park so a few pictures from there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And a video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqV_nMdbqTE

Car performed well generally (until Lunch!) and it was my first chance to test every change i had made so I was finding my feet with dialing in suspension and tyre pressures.

Just before lunch I got blacked flagged as the marshall thought he could smell gearbox oil, must have a good sense of smell from 100m but needless to say I came in as it was plausible due to the fact that it had just been changed and there may have been some residue. Evidently there wasn't an issue with the gearbox but there was a what appeared to be a potentially fatal noise coming from the engine with a god awful metallic tapping/ticking noise coming from the bay. We had a quick look, swapped plugs and injectors around but didn't seem to cure it so I left it to cool down at Lunch and went to re-asses after, it was making the same noise so left it for the rest of the day with the plans to limp it home (didnt seem down on power, nor got louder/worse when engine speed increased). Left Blyton at about 4pm and went via a petrol station about 5/6 miles away. On arrival the ticking had stopped. Mix of emotions, relieved it was looking promising, pissed that i had missed half of my day over something simple like a sticky lifter. It hasn't missed a beat since, though its probably only covered about 250 miles since.

7. So the car has been stood pretty much since with little progress made. At Christmas I was given some studs for a conversion so set about that, pretty simple install and will save time when swapping wheels (which I'm on the look out for another set).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    New Year arrived and still gathering funds for the car, I decided to book a trackday for a bit of motivation! So Oulton Park is booked on the 31st March and i know about 15 of the lads going so should be a good day. Got the car booked in again with Mark Black for the following on the 14th Feb for some preventive and remedial maintenance to hopefully allow a year of hassle free fun:

Replacement hub bearings each side
    Droplinks
    Track rod ends
    Steering rack
    Clutch slave cylinder
    R26r clutch (should be good for over 300bhp/300ftlb - not wanting to get too close to that)
    lightened flywheel (saving about 5kg)
    Timing Belt (to get it timed up properly)
    Exhaust mount
    rear beam polybushes
    front roll bar polybushes

Once this work is done, the car just needs to go into RS Tuning in Leeds for an hour or so to tweek the map now when its got a stronger clutch and its timed up correctly. Hopefully it should it also make a bit more power but at least i should last this years trackdays!

8. [FONT=&amp]So collected the car from Mark on 7[/FONT][SUP][FONT=&amp]th[/FONT][/SUP][FONT=&amp] March. Big Thanks to Mark for sorting it all (outside of workhours – due to being that busy!). I’m so happy with it all and the car feels100x better for having all the work done, the car is smoother and feels tighter with all the steering components being fixed.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Parts to talkabout – Bushes& Clutch/Flywheel
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Bushes: Even just having these sets fitted (at the moment – more will be here and quickly!) what a difference it makes to the car, its feels so much more sure footed and planted and progressive and that’s just what can be achieved on the road, nevermind ontrack.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Clutch/Flywheel: Aside from the EML coming on and going off and the metallic sound upon start up, what a great combination this set up is. The car just wants to rev and the engine braking is phenomenal (which is something that you just need to be careful of using this extra benefit too much and putting too much strain on the gearbox).

At this point i fitted a blue spring to the forge recirc valve. No pics and what a chew!

Car is booked for a mapping session with RST.[/FONT]

9. So took a visit to see Paul @ RS Tuning today with the view to map out the EML issues and have the map tweaked as it was allegedly held back due to the slipping clutch. Greeted by the guys and had a chat about the car,seemed to be reassuring that it was the clutch that was the reason it was held back etc and Paul strapped the car down. Loading up the previous graphs the car actually made 261bhp/270ftlb. Paul did a comparison run and it made264bhp/271ftlb. He set about mapping it.

It made power of just over 280bhp/300ftlb (which Paul tried to cap it at for as long as much as possible).The thing that really impressed was not only the ability to make good power but how long he spent fine tuning the torque curve to maximize its power through the rev range and to make sure the fueling was spot on (of which he must have spent 15 minutes tweaking). Overall, not that I'm chasing figures the power has made a noticeable difference lower down the rev range and I’m really happy with it.
    [FONT=&amp]Pics & a couple of from the day.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp][​IMG][/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [​IMG][/URL[/FONT]]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [​IMG][/URL[/FONT]]
    [FONT=&amp]I have already misplaced the graph with the AFR but Paul spent a hell of a long time tweeking the fueling to makre sure it was pretty much flat all the way through.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]With a chart -[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp][​IMG][/FONT]

One thing Paul did say was that he knew that the car had the airbox mod done and that it had been done since his last map. He said he knew because he had to tweak the fuel trims to suit. Suggesting that the increased airflow is certainly noticeable so it can certainly be considered a positive mod.

Track day booked for the 31[SUP][FONT=&amp]st[/FONT][/SUP][FONT=&amp] March at Oulton Park so next up is getting the car sorted andready and then I think the next purchase will be more bushes and some more geo/corner weighting.

[/FONT]

10. Next up was a bit of track prep and urming and arring about trying to get the control arm and engine bushes in before Oulton on the 31[SUP]st[/SUP] or just leave them to April in which im tempted to book Cadwell towards the back end of the April. For the time being I started pulling bits out of the car. Still more to do.

Before -
    [​IMG]

After -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just need to check fluids and nuts and bolts and its ready for track next Tuesday.

11. [FONT=&amp]So I've been a little busy over the last few weeks with a few additions here and there spurred on by a foolish mistake of selling car parts without replacements and in time for the track day at Blyton...[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    First up was to get the coilovers on as i had sold the r26 dampers and cooksport springs.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp][​IMG][/FONT]

[FONT=&amp][​IMG][/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    Hub still needed moving up 10mm or so at this stage.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp][​IMG][/FONT]

[FONT=&amp][​IMG]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]So I started to play around with heights and camber etc at this stage. I mirrored another Megane's setup that's a very similar car as a benchmark until I can get all the geo setup and corner weighted and here is how she sits.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp][​IMG][/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[​IMG][/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    Gagging for a wash - not sure how its so dirty - only done 200 miles since its last wash 6 weeks ago!

And one with Seb's

[/FONT]
    [​IMG]

12. really enjoyed reading that. loads of work gone into that, the wheels look great as do the seats. I'm now tempted to sell the R and go down this route :cool: keep the updates coming mate.

13. Fantastic write up some really good mods there.

14. Thanks guys. Amazing what you can do on a 6 hour journey down south.

I'm guessing butchering an r26 is going to be easier to sleep at night than an r26r!

Hopefully Oulton next Tuesday will be the first of several track sessions this year that should be reliable with the work done! Then there's more to come!

15. I'll book up on a few days, my tyres don't look to be turning up this week so I've cancelled my day at Donny on Monday. Will have to get some track action in this year.

16. I will be doing as many days as possible this year! Will be aiming for one a month or so through the summer months so let me know if your booking onto any.

Turned up as a passenger with Dave to the day at Cadwell on the 14th and there was a good turn out from here with plenty of r26r's in attendance and it was a great day.

17. Looks great, very similar to my own car.

I think ill look into your bumper pin mod' as mine are in with a bolt and nyloc nut. Such a pain in the arse to undo and do up.

18. Great write up mate,was good chatting to you and Dave at cadwell on the 14th. I was the one in the silver r26,I came over to test daves seats. Haha
    I think I'm booking cadwell for Sunday the 26th April of you're about then?

19. Cheers Steve. Yeah looking at booking cadwell for that date. Just waiting on the renewal for insurance on the cars before commiting. Will keep you posted!

You see how we mount the gorpro's now? I know you mentioned it on IG....

20. Yea let me know,can't wait to get out on track again. Will be cadwell then my next will be anglesey in the 4th june.
    Yes thanks mate,Iv had a tow eye holder made up so can mount on front and back,also just got a 3m mount on windscreen so plenty of variation. Haha

21. I'm at donington this Monday

22. Good read that mate.. Lovely car and checked it out when I was a marks.

Where did you get your acoustic carpet from?

23. Cheers Glen.

I got it from eBay. A bloke had a load of offcuts from Bentley I think it was, its great quality. Will see if I can find the seller on eBay.

24. Nice write up. A lot of work gone in there.

Behave yourself Martin. Just because Eds away on holiday, doesn't mean you can start misbehaving :wink:

25. i need some sense talking into me Rob, fancy a bit of a project :cool:

26. Oh dear....:eek:

27. Gutted I can't be there Steve. My mates going in his civic wrap kings branding You won't miss it.

28. cheers mate

29. The price you can pick these up for at the minute it's worth doing!

30. Any chance you'd sell the wheels

31. Sorry mate they are staying put!

32. Cheers mate.. Ordered some

33. Nice project. Love it!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

34. Glad you've finally made a thread mate and got pics whilst you were in the process of molding the car.

Also can believe the track photographer managed to get a shot of you infront of me at Blyton haha. I'll be speaking to them about that one...

I could really feel the extra torque yesterday at Oulton up the hill section. Very quick now the map has been sorted out.

35. Has come along way since you first bought it..... Faster, lighter and more reliable which is always what anyone wants! :cool:

P.S. Gives mine some competition when they're both sat next to each other on the drive..... :rolleyes:

36. Went to Oulton for a trackday on Tuesday with a load of mates and Dave & Seb off here. It was a greatday (even with the 5am start!), shame the weather wasn’t great but it did dry up a bit in the afternoon and as people left, traffic reduced allowing some better laps.

Car performed flawlessly all day which out much fiddling of damper settings and tyre pressures. I was really chuffed about how well the car drove with all the recent changes and it goes to show spending money in the right places can give you the reliability (even after giving the car death all day on the 170 miles around track) and then taking the 80 mile trip back to York without a groan.

As usual the Megane’s surprised a lot of people and had a good chat with a couple of lads who were shocked how quick they were even in the wet.

Some pics from the day (excuse the angry faces!) -

The car was spotless before I left York - Upon arrival with Dave....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some from the track -

[​IMG]
    (that ass.....)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Seb trying to keep up.... (Sorry man!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A quick video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckl1qNBrt0I

I didn’t really play with the lap timing/video as much as i had hoped due to the amount of rain. It is a little bit jerky as its a beta version of HLT GP Edition so needs some fine tuning etc still. I may upload some more if i get chance, particularly to show how wet it was!

Was hoping Oulton would scratch an itch but all it’s done is feed an addiction so I could resist and booked Cadwell for the 29[SUP]th[/SUP] April with a few lads that I went to Oulton with.

Not sure what is next for the Megane as the insurance is due and I’m about to move across country but having said that control arm bushes and engine mounts are a priority and I’m currently in negotiations with Dave for his wheels and steering wheel!

37. Only just noticed the thread .. Car looks great mate .. Love the wheels

38. Cheers John. Don't fancy the trek to Cadwell on 29th April?

39. I am so tempted to start stripping bits of my R26 and make it a track project, and this thread hasn't helped at all! Car looks brilliant, you have done some good mods there :smile:

I know how addictive the track days can be, I have a trackday booked at Knockhill in May. Up here in Scotland there is only really one track but is still great fun.