Trackday brake set ups

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by ChrisA, May 2, 2019.

1. Trackday lads with mk3 meg’s

What pad and disc combos are you running ?

Any bad experiences with a certain pad ?

Thanks

2. Standard pads are shite :laughing::laughing:

I used PZF on my mk2 with a mk3 brake set up, fantastic, PZF on my mk3 were shite, don't know why just saying.
    Tried PBS pads at the ring a few weeks ago were good to start with but faded with use, to the extent that i took them out and put my used Carbon Lorraine 8's back in, didn't have a problem for the rest of the day and the ring is not really a hard circuit on brakes, i have used the CL 8's on UK tracks and they are great, but that's my opinion :laughing::laughing::laughing:

All on plain high carbon disc's

3. Brake fluid first I'd say and also what track will you be running? Standard pads aren't that good. Been using the Performance Friction Z-Rated .11 compound, they were really good at Francorchamps but initial bite isn't superb.

No problems locking fronts? I'll give the CL6's a try next month.

4. Up rated fluid is all you need to go mate - I use Motul 660.

Pads: The factory pads will be fine for your first 5 or 6 track days until you get a proper feel for the car. Even then I ran the 275 pads for 2 seasons of Time Attack.

All these people complaining about factory pads... get off the brake pedal haha.

Discs: Factory is fine unless you intend on doing proper endurance races, over 20 minutes at race pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DOOOOK likes this.
  5. Not really. The OE pads can't cope. 3 hot laps at best and they're cooked. Which is to expected, they're not designed for the purpose. Only based on my experience of course, as a fairly light braker.

6. Brakes sorted

Pagid RST3 front
    Mintex 1144 rear
    Brembo HC discs front and rear
    Proline 6 piece brake lines
    Millers 5.1 dot fluid

StephRS likes this.
  7. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Good choice, RST3 are the best I've ran so far

ChrisA likes this.
  8. I run Ferodo DS3000 with DBA two-piece rotors. Currently trying DS UNO at the moment.
    a1a4931957eee3df8583e686402bbcf7.jpg

9. I disagree but maybe the 275 got better OEM ferodo pads in Australia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. We shall see.

I have used the RS14 and RS29 in past with no issues so helpfully be all good.

11. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I found them to have the same sort of power as XP10s/12s which were my benchmarks and previous go to, But with a better pedal feel and Kinder to discs and paint [emoji23]

12. I hated the pedal feel of the XP10’s. Very wooden no feel. Just like on / off switch.

13. I doubt it. The OE pads are excellent road pads. But at proper track pace, they melt quickly. If they didn't, they would be terrible road pads. Nothing wrong with them per se, they're just not even trying to cope with track heat as they are road pads formulated for that purpose.