Sponsored By:  

Track day prep - for beginners

Discussion in 'Track Days & Track Driving' started by Mr Spoon, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Hello all,

So I notice we do not seem to have an essential track day prep thread. Some of you will be seasoned track dayers, others will be more new to the concept.

So here is my list of things to pack, prepare and take to a track day.

Essential Kit
    Helmet
    long top & trousers
    Tyre pressure gauge
    Spanner set
    Cable ties and gaffer tape
    Oil topup
    Warm kit
    Food/water - unless there is a cafe on site
    Recovery contact just in case
    Contact for someone good on spanners - just in case

Optional good to have
    Mechanic :wink:
    Brake pads
    Oil
    Jack & axle stands

Prep
    Tow eye inserted
    Tyre pressures adjusted - suggest 30psi F/R to begin with
    Remove/secure all loose items - these become missiles in a crash
    Check all bodywork for security
    Check all fluids - this is REALLY important

Sam Havenhand, Bob Thompson and D7DPJ like this.
  2. Great start :smile:.

1. Water needs underlined and bold :smile:, not for the car but for you. Air con on max and you will still be hot as hell, so drinking lots of water will massively help.
    2. Gloves - dont have to be race gloves, ive used mountain bike gloves but will help grip but also stop your hands from hurting from gripping tightly. We all do it at first :smile:.
    3. Flat comfortable shoes - bulky trainers are a pain, soft flat pumps are a no no.
    4. Sunglasses - can massively help on those bright days on certain tracks.
    5. Wheel lock nut
    6. Wind screen cleaner and micro-fibre cloth

Nice to have:

• 10l VP racing Jerry cans - additional fuel as not all tracks have fuel or are close to a station that has super. Wasting time on lunch hunting for fuel instead of relaxing is horrible.
    • Any random socket sizes that the car needs. Lots of nice people around to offer help and tools but those unique sized sockets or E torq etc are worth having on you.
    • Tyre pump - pressure gauge is great but having a pump so you can adjust up is also helpful.
    • Cheap obd2 reader and free app. - helps clear any random codes that sometimes can appear which may have put you in limp mode.
    • Camping chair

Bob Thompson and Mr Spoon like this.
  3. Also, patience, sense of humour and chocolate hobnobs.......

Mr Spoon, Poppaboost and D7DPJ like this.
  4. Tuition is a must if you are new to a track, its not expensive, but can be a lot cheaper than going off track.
    The instructors are not about fast laps, (that comes later) its all about braking points, turn in points and being being smooth at the wheel.

Brigsy, D7DPJ and Mr Spoon like this.
  5. last trackday we went on, 3 of our group would not have made it home, without the support vehicle, with parts and tools we took with us.Obviously not always the case,but so handy,and saves so much hassle with breakdowns, and things giving up on trackdays,when far from home.

6. Also, a little one (some tracks are hot on this)

If your inclined to want to record via a GoPro etc.. you’ll need to have it fixed AND tethered to a secure point on the car to stop this becoming a missile.

A lanyard or something will do as a secondary tether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Spoon likes this.
  7. Will be putting this all in to practice this Wednesday at Goodwood and totally agree tuition is a must and learning not only the track but the physics around your car. You can learn the track but you also need to learn your car and work together.

Mr Spoon likes this.
  8. I needed a tether for the go pro on the motorcycle. It didn't work and it still flung off when i crashed

9. Tuition, if available is worth every penny. That said, as long as folk don't try and "race" and just enjoy the car, there shouldn't be much of an issue. It's when people go all out and have no consideration for the safety of themselves or others that this becomes a problem.

Did i say gaffer tape earlier? :smiley:

10. Hopefully you weren’t hurt, and didn’t lose the GoPro in the gravel!

11. I retrieved the go pro. Made for a good YouTube.

12. Link please :smile:

13. AA membership, just incase something goes tits up

Mr Spoon likes this.
  14. On my first track day I also managed to get insurance added onto my existing policy for non competitive track use. Cost me about £70 but completely worth it for piece of mind.

Mr Spoon likes this.
  16. Ouch, bet you were feeling that for a couple of days!

17. I'd have gone back out if i hadn't have damaged the bike's frame.

Went to work as normal the next day :smile:

Poppaboost likes this.
  18. Peaked my interest now lol, What bike do you have? I'm tempeted to track my V4 Tuono when I cba to trailer my Megane about.

19. KpYWi6c.jpg
    OEYJ6RP.jpg

StuOwen86 likes this.
  20. When you make a mistake on the bike you usually fall off. I have posted the video on here.

But, unlike the car, getting corners right on the bike is sublime.