Track Day Coilovers

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Adbo, Jan 28, 2023.

1. I have recently purchased a Megane RS 250 Cup and looking for recommendations for track coilovers.

On Monday I did a trackday and found the lowered cup set up not great - the car leaned/rolled a lot.

There are obviously lots of choices of coilovers for the Meganes, so was wondering what you guys recommend?

Thanks for all your help

2. Depends primarily on your budget and split between road/track (ie good set-up for track will make it very uncomfortable/skip over bumps etc on the road) - generally a compromise.

Went thru all this a year or so ago and spec'ed/learned the following (by the way my RS250 Trophy is probably setup more mid-range between track and road; also it's not my daily drive)
    1. absolutely essential you get camber plates with the coilovers otherwise it will understeer and chew thru outer edge of your tyres. I run -2.5 deg. Remember camber plates for stock springs won't fit coilovers. Also I needed to enlarge turret hole to allow adjustment - otherwise too hard to do by trial and error.
    2. for me needed to be TUV or equivalent approved for insurance reasons
    3. springs I got are - Fronts 70N/mm with 10N/mm Helper Spring, Rear 59N/mm, also with helpers. If I had it over again I would probably go harder - say 80/90, to restrict body roll a bit more, and induce a bit more oversteer without needing so high on tyre pressure on rear. I checked before purchase with KW, and damper valving is ok for me to go +/- 30N/mm change on springs.
    4. build quality of KW is first class, and bearing on top of strut/camber plate is still "knock" free.
    5. don't go overboard on lowering the car - 20mm max
    The car handles really well and even let's me keep up with a Trophy R (or maybe it was his first track day, so I shouldn't get carried away??!!); ...... other mods are helping as well.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/5Ung1tzGffWHNZmB7

Finally for me, the car had 126k km, and I could tell the dampers needed changing - so coilovers were the obvious choice.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions, PM me and I'd be happy to help.

Conoboy likes this.