torquensteins Megane RS250

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by torquenstein, May 25, 2015.

1. What times you done at the ring bro? I just love how clean this car is

2. Great pics. Cars looking ace!

3. Thanks man, I didn't time myself to be honest. I was planning on doing 4 laps but on my second lap I passed the aftermath of the huge Megane crash that has been going around facebook. This cut the day short as I had to leave for the boat before the track reopened.

I have seen some pics from your trip, car looks ace and looks like you put some cracking times in :smile:

4. Fuck you was there when that happened.

5. Yeah it wasn't a pretty sight! I was very pleased to hear that he was ok as I was pretty convinced he wouldn't have walked away like he did.

You see me roll past at 3:15:

[video=youtube;tW3vOTB_gCg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW3vOTB_gCg[/video]

6. Madness mate

7. Some pictures from a recent drive out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jimbob 2705 and Pyper like this.
  8. Lovely Megane, anymore updates?

How do you rate the Federal RSR tyres? My current eagle F1's have had it.

9. Thanks mate, I am going to the Nurburgring this weekend and will post an update after that. There is some more pictures on my instagram @nckeng

The Federals are fantastic for the money, highly recommend. They are a track tyre though so wont match the F1's in the wet.

10. Nice. Take lots of pics. I follow you on insta (@bowen_rs).

I'll purchase some Fedrals then, cheers

11. Update (PIC HEAVY)

I took the car to Snetterton at the end of February, the car was fantastic all day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wanted a second set of wheels and spent a long time hunting for the right ones. Eventually I decided on a set of Braid Fullrace, I had never actually seen them fitted to a megane 3 before so was a little anxious about how they were going to look. Four weeks later they arrived, the day before my birthday which was a nice touch!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are 18x9 fitted with 235/40 Federal 595's. It was tough decision between gloss and satin black but I decided on satin in the end and I am really chuffed with them!

Then at the beginning of the month I visited the Nurburgring for a Circuit Days track day. The car was absolutely spot on and didn't miss a beat all weekend. Its clear to see why the Megane is so popular out there, second only to the ridiculous amount of Porsches!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jimbob 2705 and Nigelo like this.
  12. Awesome wheels and pics! Where did you get them from?

13. Manly size welcome to the 9j club!!!

14. Your new wheels are lovely!! And great fun out there.

Sent from my SM-A300F using Tapatalk

15. Thanks man, I got them from Macgracing.

Yes! Was originally wanting 17's but could only get them in 8j so I was sold on the 18x9!

16. Car looks Fantastic mate, the wheels look awesome, love those decals you have on the bottom of the door what are they? Wouldn't mind some myself

17. Thanks mate! The stickers are trophy style ones, I got them on ebay.

18. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Braid wheels look great, Been eying them up for ages after i seen a couple Meganes on the continent with them!

19. I noticed the group buy going on for RS Tuning and since I was approaching the one year anniversary of owning the RS I decided to make the 4 hour journey to Leeds and have them fit a decat, front mount and map the car.

Left the house at 4:30am and I was there waiting at 9:00am

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a painfully long day but when we finally got around to mapping the car it made 307bhp (259bhp before)

I was at RS Tuning on the Friday and then it was time to get the car ready for some track work at Bedford for the following Monday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of rubber and bugs to clean off but he car was spot on all day, the power made a big difference around Bedford and it sounds much meaner with the decat. The car is great out of the box anyway but the extra power has taken things up another level. Suspension will be next.

Just-that-ek, Nigelo and Eddie_ like this.
  20. Those Braid wheels look really good! :smile:

torquenstein likes this.
  21. Thanks mate :blush:

22. That just looks so right with the braid alloys!

23. Braid wheels look great!! What off-set are they?

24. Thanks mate, they are ET55.

25. How wide are the wheels? It really looks like ET55 is so enough already, this stance is exactly what i am after of.

26. They are 9J bud.

27. Did you have spacers on with the 18" cup wheels mate? Seems to sit nicely

28. Thanks mate, no spacers. I will probably be putting them back on for the winter soon!

29. The wheels look spot on mate! Does the car drive any differently with them being wider and different offset?

30. Thanks mate, i didn't notice any difference to be honest.

31. It's been a long time since I updated this! Not much has changed with the car since my last post but the car has been on a few trips so since we're currently in lockdown, I thought I would post some photos from when we were allowed out...

Spa & Nurburgring April 2017 - A few friends and I booked an Opentrack event at Spa and with the Nurburgring just 1-2 hours away it would have been rude not to combine the trip with a journey there. I was fully expecting a wet day at Spa as the weather is very hit and miss in April but fortunately, we had a perfect day.

Before the trip, I purchased some A048's and fitted them to my track wheels, I was expecting a lot from these and they were great once up to temp. They are definitely an improvement over the Federal RSR's I've used previously but for the cost, I think the Federals are a great compromise. The only disappointment was the brakes, they were great most of the day but towards the end, I was getting some bad brake judder under high-speed braking. I was running DS2500 pads which had left deposits on the disk, I hoped I would be able to sort this on the journey to Germany however it was still an issue when I got to the ring which was annoying but it didn't spoil the trip. I would highly recommend Spa, I had an absolute blast in the Megane there. The elevation changes and the scenery are great and Eau Rouge is a something special.

nqjSNU1.jpg
    VcpmHmy.jpg
    5sYNonS.jpg
    CwbyCnc.jpg
    j8oit5j.jpg
    CWXN58O.jpg

Rockingham October 2018 - This was an event organised by Renault UK. I booked this as I hadn't driven around Rockingham and this was probably going to be my last opportunity to as the track was closing in 2019. The Megane 4 was also going to be there so I was keen to get behind the wheel. The day was well organised and they had lots of legendary Renaults on display. I also got the opportunity to drive the new Megane, it was only a short drive but it was great to jump in it straight after driving mine. I was impressed with it, the turn in is particularly impressive, you can definitely feel the 4control shoving the car around the corner. It did feel a little easy in comparison to mine though and not as exciting. It would be a much nicer car to live with though I am sure.

WpdWklj.jpg
    YhlGCId.jpg
    JamWWf1.jpg
    EVVOItd.jpg
    KqQXVCb.jpg
    CbSK2vA.jpg
    zQ75c6B.jpg
    zIqB7a2.jpg

Dash Cam - I decided to purchase a dashcam and I wanted one that was discrete and didn't break the bank. I found one on Amazon made by a company called Apeman and it seemed to fit the bill. I also bought a wiring kit so I could hide the wires. It uses the fuse box for power and it was pretty easy to fit. I have had the interior apart before though so knowing how bits came off made it easier.

8cSXDhV.jpg
    PrXDMuJ.jpg
    UfX1MZD.jpg

trickmansa and manugtt like this.
  32. Part 2

Wales October 2019
    - I took a trip to the Brecon Beacons with a few friends and their impressive machinery. Lots of great roads and definitely a great way to burn through a few tanks of fuel. I fitted the dash cam for this trip.

pk5CXxE.jpg
    g6slvnK.jpg
    9iXfnjt.jpg
    JaH0W1A.jpg
    A3Ms1kt.jpg

Silverstone November 2019 - This was the most recent track day and was organized by Opentrack. I took my track wheels for this trip but as it was a cold day and a little damp to begin with, I stuck with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports I had on my road wheels. They were great and performed brilliantly all day. I was now running CL RC5+ pads and unlike the DS2500, these didn't leave any deposits on the disks and performed great all day, the only trade off is that they are a bit noisier at slow speeds. This track is right up there with Spa as one of my favourites and I will definitely try and go back once things are back to normal.

GGg8aZd.jpg
    aUAzhiM.jpg
    qhVAPOF.jpg
    3PKJfl1.jpg

Here are some recent pictures of the car:

dFE9Oak.jpg
    9ePIBy1.jpg

There were some other track days in between but these were the most interesting. Thanks for reading.

manugtt likes this.
  33. Hi man! I really like your Meg, and the Braid looks perfect for it. I was thinking to fit them on mine, but are more expensive for now, maybe in a future. The small stickers in the door like too, discreet but with a touch of distinction.
    Congratulations for that machine, I can see you enjoy it travel by travel:wink:

34. the ds2500 are ok, but have rubber beads in the compound, if you get them to hot they leave deposits of rubber believe it or not on the discs .hence judder, you will need a higher operating temp pad by the sounds of it, found this info from questmead many years ago.,there ap dealers. maybe rsl29 or similar.

35. Thanks, yeah I am really happy with the look of the Braids and you see don't see them too often either.

Thanks for the info, I had read that the DS2500’s were known for leaving deposits but it is interesting that rubber beads cause it. I liked the pads otherwise. I’m using CL RC5+ now and haven’t had the issue with them.

36. Car looks really tidy mate. Well thought out modifications that suit the car. I want to get into some track days too, so may give you a shout in future.

37. Thanks mate, yeah definitely worth doing a track day as you can find out what the car is capable of. Let me know if you're thinking of doing one.

L14MHV likes this.
  38. Small update:

The intercooler was looking a little tired as can been seen in the pic below so I decided to repaint it.

huLCqgi.jpg

sgJGEn8.jpg

e39S9CG.jpg

Then I picked up a new gear knob after seeing @manugtt 's one. It took some effort getting the original off but the new one has a much nicer feel to it. Just need to do the short shift mod now.

Csloi6N.jpg

L14MHV and manugtt like this.
  39. Yes man! If we meet somewhere sometime, we´ll must to be carefull, maybe we confuse our cars:tonguewink::tonguewink:. I´m glad you like the knob, and when you do the short shift mode, it will feel better.

torquenstein likes this.
  40. Hello, I like the meg a lot and I have a plan to do similar with the wheels and join the 9j club. I am just wondering do you know how much your wheels weigh? I have been looking at wheels for ages and I have only found TSW Interlagos that fit the bill with the right sort of offset but are discontinued. If light enough your braid Fullrace may do though (they sound light!) What width rubber do you go for and how big-er an improvement over the standard cup wheels do you think they are for track driving? Also did you notice any rubbing with the H&R springs against the wheel arches? Thanks!