Top Mount Hole Enlarged Mk3

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by richmillions, Nov 14, 2019.

1. I'm trying to find where (close to Essex if possible) that can cut the top mount hole larger and reinforced to allow camber adjustment with the top mounts in place.
    Any recommendations people have?

2. You don't have or need to have it reinforced, i have done one or two track days and a couple of miles and its fine.

richmillions likes this.
  3. That's not really proof that there is no need to reinforce the area. That's an opinion

4. I have done a shite load of trackdays and road miles and mine looks the same as when it was done 18+ months ago

5. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

People ran E46s for years as well then the tops of the turrets started to come apart and split/crack with track and solid topmount use [emoji2371]

6. You said you had done "2 track days and a couple of miles" that's not shit loads. Metal fatigue is not something you see by eye until it's too late. Anyway think this debate was done to death previously I have my opinion based on what I do for a living others have theirs I just do not agree with people giving advice on things like this without proper proof and stress testing but that's just my opinion I am risk averse and won't take chances.

7. Why then did you choose to reinforce the top of your strut tops, why do most properly built race cars have uprated reinforced strut tops. The reason is it has always been a weak spot. If you have been around track for a while you will have seen car sales with the strut top spot punched out after hitting sausage kerbs etc. The more you weaken an area the higher the likely hood there's is of damage.

8. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I wasn't replying to you, it was in reply to Ians post about it not having any issues yet...

9. Do what you want to do, its your car, but mine is fine as it is

10. I've done 20ish track days and 20k miles in 18 months since the work was done

11. That's cool but your advising someone to not go ahead and reinforce a structural area that will have been weakened but opening the hole out that's the point I am trying to make.

12. Apologies assummed you were replying to me

-Jamie- likes this.