Tom's Red 250

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by durmz, Feb 18, 2016.

1. I did get knocking mate but it was arb drop links, after fitting adjustable ones and setting them half inch shorter than standard its been fine mate.

197 Gaz, sorry mate I dont have the part number but speak to Renault parts direct, they got it for me, took 3 days to arrive cost about £60

2. Glad to see this is progressing nicely, Tom! Has it seen the track yet?

'The car was sold to me as having had a lot of work done at k-tec; intercooler, bmc filter, full exhaust, decat and remap, with power graphs included @307 bhp. I've not been happy how the cars been driving and always planned to over write the mao at rs-tuning so sure enough got on the group buy...'

Not entirely happy with that statement mate.
    Not once did I say it's had a decat. Cat back iirc. Apologies for the lack of filter though, I never even looked tbh I just assumed the same as you did due to having all the receipts for the work. I had Renault service it not long before selling it to you, I would't have thought they'd have removed it but anything is possible.

I'm glad the door wasn't a big fix, I didn't think it was anything major, I was just too short on time to really investigate it! You got a touch there.

Anyway, it's good to see the car getting the full attention & love that it deserves.

I'm glad you've spaced out the wheels, makes a massive difference. I'd lose the wind deflectors, looks like a French car trying to be Jap!

3. it's in the receipts from k-tec that the downpipe was fitted, So someone at some points removed it, this is why the torque curves flat imo, mapped on something different. Not suggesting that you knew, but that was there in the information provided when I bought the car, and its not true, no ones getting upset about it mate its one of those things, otherwise I'd have called.

Yeah I don't really care about french/jap scenes or elsewhere to be fair, I just like em.

4. Nice build! Where did you get anti roll bar links?? Are they adjustable?

5. Sorry for delay bud, they where on ebay mate, yes they are adjustable, been running for about a month now and all good so far.

6. update in pictures...
    [​IMG]

bastard oil filter
    [​IMG]

clutch fluid was rottttennnn

[​IMG]

some 18" td 1.3's in my life with ad08r's in 245/40/18

[​IMG]

sealed in raceglaze nano seal
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

looks great, very happy

trip to rs-tuning for decat and remap went well, paul said the intercooler from k-tec was a bit dated and didn't flow great but happy with 309 for now, pro alloy cooler soon.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

then time to get it out on track to see what all the work was about

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

car was great, unfortunately it started chucking down about an hour after I arrived so didn't get much time on track, I ran the ad08r's in the damp but not the soaking wet, they performed brilliantly, no videos worth seeing as after my first 5 mins to warm up they made me take the go-pro down, needed to be tethered, ran like a 1:00 lap in my first sessions, was obviously a lot more in it, sure I went faster than that in second session but didn't have any video or timing running. most importantly enjoyed it a lot and car was solid, bedford autodrome next saturday

Nigelo and Bowen like this.
  7. Love it! But then I'm bias

8. haha thanks Matt, appreciate that, be good to see yours some time. Got a shopping list as long as my arm, got to calm down a bit. Got 355mm two piece floating rotors on the way... that with cl pads all round should get me stopped at bedford next week

9. Nice update mate. Wheels look great.

10. Looking very nice indeed mate!

11. I like the choice of wheels and tyres

12. them wheels and tyres

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

13. Looks fantastic! Very jealous.

Can I ask what width and offset the wheels are?

14. yeah sure bud, they're 18 x 8.5 et 55, tyres 245 40 18

15. Love the wheels!

16. Looks great wheels make a big difference.

17. Very nice updates. Looks very good in red. Wheels look awesome, can see your enjoying it

Golf gttdi150. Stage 2 hybrid turbo, egr delete full milltec, 18in bbs ch002 220bhp. Fk coilovers , front and rear neuspeed arb with shock mounted links.

18. So yeah spent some more time in the garage naturally

[​IMG]

the brakes where on their last legs so I felt like an upgrade, front 355mm reyland with sprung floating hat upgrade, new rear cup discs, carbon lorraine rc5+ pads all round, pure motorsport 75mm stud kit now I'm not using spacers the 90mm studs where way too long. I used paint marks to check up on the studs not moving after loctiting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

found the rear pads weird, apparently they dont use anti rattle springs and as you can see the pad surface area is much larger compared to ds2500. I now get pad knock and front and back but dont really care

[​IMG]

Bowen likes this.
  19. All of that was in aid of a track day I had planned at bedford. awesome day out, ran a 2:59 with loads left in it, over took all sorts, most of which arrived on a trailer, the new honda civic type r didn't stand much of a chance and the very nice owner came and had a chat after we got back in to ask about the car and said he was impressed, I'm more than impressed with the megane after my first full track day, doesn't really compare to 30 mins at brands. Took an instructor out for 15 minutes, best money I spent all day. Few photos from the day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had one of the best days out I've had in a bloody long time. Up next for the car, got some upper and lower ball joints sat on the shelf waiting to be changed. Thinking about sorting some sort of brake cooling, more bits and pieces, cars done great so far

Nigelo and S4BiT like this.
  20. Brilliant updates.

Random question but what gearbox oil and how much of it did you use?

21. Red suits this car so good! :sunglasses:

durmz likes this.
  22. Hey bowen

Millers crx 75w90 nt and about 2.7 litres approx but I wouldn't reccomend it personally, it runs fine warmed up but when cold its dog shite, really tough to get in first second and reverse. Warmed up its sweet and ran great all day at the track but I'll be changing it soon when I speak to opie oilman, probably redline

ewant81 and Bowen like this.
  23. Thanks for the reply bud.

Another question for you; Braided brake lines? Worth it?

24. Honestly I'm not sure, I did them at the same time as the fluid, then shortly after did new discs pads, so what can be contributed to the lines, not much I dont think. But, I've always ran braided lines, its more of a fail safe for the track, you know they wont swell, day to day driving I dont think theres much in it. I couldn't change the rear lines, its too corroded, the hard line was turning with the nut, so left them

Bowen likes this.
  25. Thanks for the reply. I've just bought rbf600 fluid, KTR braided lines, RC5+ pads and MrPink pins. Going to the ring in 2nd week of June hopefully these brake bits will do the job.

26. Same set up as me, works brilliantly. Braided lines is a must if you're doing track work imo

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Bowen likes this.
  27. Another question, sorry. Ha.
    I may have missed it but did you change from the KTR intercooler?

28. On braided lines... The OEMs are braided I was told... Just covered in a plastic or rubber

I swapped mine anyway but just an FYI

29. I Dont think so, we had to cut one off, dont remember it being anything tough to cut, sure I would've remembered seeing it braided inside but I wouldn't swear by it either.

No bowen still running the k-tec/airtec old one, will go pro alloy eventually

30. I once cutted my old Megs brake line and its just a normal one as any other car from the stock, so defo no braided lines there.

31. Random question... But it looks like 355mm discs clear the 18" wheels fine?

Just looking at buying the reyland kit and I also have 18s so want to ensure they have clearance from inside of the rim

32. Yeah neil they're fine, the spacers only a few mm thick

33. Light update...

8610701cac77dca48c34fbf81f76b38d.jpg

Nigelo and Bowen like this.
  34. Corona, with lime? Nice.

Awesome selection of toys there.

35. Very nice!!! Red is by far the best colour :smile:

What benefit do braided line give over standard?

36. They don't expand, so you get (in theory) a firmer pedal and can apply more pressure

37. This is turning into one hell of a build, them parts you got ready to go on are mega

38. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Ooh thats a nice wee bundle there!

Should totally transform the car.

How you getting on with the Reyland 2 piece discs? By the looks of it the PFC ones are going to be very hard to get hold of for a while now so looking at what other options there are. How heavy are they Reylands?

39. Thanks chaps, yeah not mucking around lol although I will say this is going to be it for a while. I wanted to go cae shifter and fixed backs but I've pushed it a bit last couple months [emoji23][emoji23][emoji85]

Yeah I hope so Jamie, should be grand.

I really rate them mate, for the money I think they're spot on. Once the rotors wear out I'll look at replacing them with directional vaned rotors but for now I'm happy. Goodwood has some hard breaking zones and it just stopped and stopped. The suspensions been the biggest problem so far, extra power extra breaking is showing the softness of the h&r springs. Fordwater flat out at 130mph was interesting lol, she was happy enough but fair amount of body roll. Really looking forward to getting out and trying the nitrons.

Plan atm is for approx -1 degree at back depending on what the half degree shims bring up, -2 possibly -2.5 on front depending how I like it

40. Sorry, and they where just grams heavier than the standard worn disc. One thing that did make me think a bit is I think they're 2mm narrower than standard at 28mm thick but it doesn't seem to have been a problem. The bell is obviously has the correct offset to sit the new disc central in the calliper so I've got no idea if it would be an issue to replace the rotor with a 30mm item in the future, as these seem more widely available