Tim's Forged LY R26

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by TimR26, Jul 26, 2013.

1. TimR26

TimR26 South Central RSM Area Rep

Thanks, I hope so too.

2. Im sure Paul will get the best from it Tim , good luck with it mate and yes see you soon hopefully on a track day, a few years have passed since we were at donington mate.

3. thread is epic! just one question though was it the forged heads that cracked from the oil starvation?

4. TimR26

It's almost four years ago now. Let me know which days you're doing, I haven't got anything booked apart from the Ring in April.

No, it was the old standard engine that had cracked pistons.

IMG_6925_zps3d89f5cf.jpg

IMG_6926_zps5cc60787.jpg

5. There is around 10 meganes booked on at cadwell Tim on the 14th of March, be good if you can make it mate, maybe a little soon for you though, I'm going to try and do brands at some point this year though.

6. TimR26

I might be able to do that if mapping goes ok on 6th March.

7. TimR26

Plan was to fit my Mocal catch tank yesterday but the rain stopped me.

I got home from early today and the weather was ok so I decided to attempting fitting it.

Decided to use velcro coins to mount it on the battery tray. Figure they hold my number plates on at 160 so should be up to the job [​IMG]
    IMG_7116_zps46a0afcf.jpg

Catch tank in position
    IMG_7117_zpsa0360b1a.jpg

ITG breather filter
    IMG_7118_zpsd4b9f7e8.jpg

ITG breather running down behind the headlight next to the ITG air filter
    IMG_7119_zps128422dc.jpg

New piece of hose blocked by a bolt and jubilee clip
    IMG_7121_zpse31b07d4.jpg

In position blocking off feed to the intake hose
    IMG_7124_zps7ef29cb4.jpg

Mocal catch tank and new rubber hoses secured in place
    [​IMG]

Next jobs are:
    Fit Ktec stud conversion kit I purchased ages ago
    Tidy up the wiring to the battery and ecu as it looks a mess

Then I'm tempted to fit the Powerflex front arm camber and castor bushes if the reviews are good.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  8. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

Ive never understood the use of a catch tank. Care to explain? Apart from it looking cool as fuck.

9. Stops oil vapour going into the inlet and making the fuel lower octane.

10. TimR26

That and it stops oil going through the inlet. Benefit is it's cleaner and you want just fuel and air during combustion not with oil mixed in as well.

11. Also stops the oil vapours lining the intercooler.

12. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

And that is why I love this site.

Cheers for the info guys :smile:

13. TimR26

And I just thought it looked cool :wink:

14. TimR26

I went to the Ford and Renault Day on the Bedford SEN Circuit yesterday as last minute replacement for a friend who unfortunately couldn't attend due to family problems.

This was the first time I had been to Bedford and first time on track since fitting the forged engine and hybrid turbo. The car ran really well considering only preparation was checking the oil the night before. I was faster than most stuff and nothing overtook me either which is always my aim.

I was running AD08R tyres on the front and Goodyear Asymmetric 2s on the rear. The combination worked ok surprisingly with the AD08Rs only losing grip once in second corner on one of the earlier laps in the video below. I should have swapped them round to make the rear more lively but couldn't be bothered.

I suffered from some brake vibration in the second session, they seemed to recover though after backing off slightly and braking more gently for a few laps. I don't think my brake setup is as good now with the Brembo HC plain discs instead of Tarox F2000 grooved discs. I'm also running oem rear pads now instead of DS2500 which I usually run all round.

There's definitely not as much bite now so I need to think about upgrading now I'm going to be running an extra 50 or 60 bhp. I'll start by changing the rears back to DS2500 and bleeding the brake fluid then look at either going back to Tarix discs or a big brake kit.

Unfortunately first lap of my third session I noticed a weird air noise so had to come straight back into the pits. Turned out that the two of the studs holding the turbo on to the manifold had lost their nuts. The third stud and nut had come out completely and come to rest someone on top of the turbo. Thankfully Dan from SJM Automotive managed to get the stud back in tight so I could call it a day and drive home.

Here's a video of the second session on track shot using my £99 GoPro Hero mounted on top of the centre console above the clock.

15. TimR26

Update some of this might read strange as I'm copy and pasting various parts from Cliosport.

I then took the car to RS Tuning for mapping and on arrival Paul noticed a noise coming from the engine.

We couldn't pinpoint the problem so we decided to proceed with mapping. Unfortunately on the final run making 315bhp the turbo started smoking.

Short on options I drove the car home then a few days later I took it to Dan at SJM Automotive in Glastonbury.

These are the photos Dan at SJM sent me after I asked him to investigate the smoking turbo and inspect the engine.
    IMG_8651_zps4c7uxljb.jpg

The engine had spun a bearing sending swarf round the engine which damaged the hybrid turbo.
    IMG_8652_zpsrcw5eyi2.jpg

IMG_8650_zpsxt7htfif.jpg

I then had it trailered up to RS Tuning thanks to my friend Tom as I wanted mapping and engine all under one roof.
    F4C086B2-E3E8-4616-B8BD-34D21D2653A1_zpstdlkm3yi.jpg

Further investigation by RS Tuning discovered that the cylinder head wasn't fit to reuse.
    IMG_8309_zpsg1ygtvr2.jpg

It was absolutely fucked!
    IMG_8308_zps7hqt1lsj.jpg

IMG_8307_zpsk0xbi6d8.jpg

RS Tuning suspected the rod caps had been mixed up causing tolerance issues. It also hadn't been built very well with bearings not being seated centrally on the crank etc.

I'm so glad I never got round to selling my original engine as only the Supertech valves were reusable and rest was scrap.

Fearing the worst before heading to SJM Automotive I had put the original engine in the boot.

RS Tuning will be boring out my original block to 83mm and using the 250 hybrid instead of the R26 hybrid.

16. TimR26

That was March 2015 and I had booked to take the R26 to the Nurburgring.

As that clearly wasn't going to happen I bought this Storm Grey 172.

IMG_7659_zpsze19eqpn.jpg

Spec was:

Storm Grey glass out respray including door shuts
    Ktec stealth exhaust
    Cup alternator setup
    Rear wiper delete
    Cooksport springs and full suspension refresh with Cup wishbones
    182 alloys powdercoated black

To prep it for the Ring I fitted DS2500 pads and a new set of Speedline 2118's wrapped in Yokohama AD08R's.

E7877590-FB55-410A-B1C2-21BD9A4819EE_zpstaorcqu6.jpg

17. TimR26

Progress was slow with rebuild as RS Tuning already had cars in for engine rebuilds taking up ramps and the oil pump was on backorder from Renault.

Here it was looking sorry for itself.

0ECEF865-08A6-493D-9448-409DC8CB7CA1_zpstavrxa2k.jpg

18. TimR26

June 2015

RS Tuning have stripped down the engine now they have the parts required for the rebuild. Hold up was due to the oil pump being on back order so understandably they couldn't have my car stripped down taking up a ramp.

Paul has been in regular contact but his calls haven't been good news as the new engine is basically toast. It's hard to tell what caused the issue but from what Paul has said it points to it being poorly built.

Paul said he's never seen cams so badly scored and head is so bad he doubts it could be rescued. I believe the cams in new engine are the cams from the old engine (I asked for them to be swapped when the cam cover was resealed) so that's a new set of R26 or aftermarket cams needed! Hopefully the old head is in better shape.... The plan is to port the head and reuse the Supertec valves.

The crank from the new engine isn't going to be reused so the old crank is being sent off to be polished and balanced with the SMF and clutch.

The Wossner pistons are fine but need a new set of rings. That doesn't make much difference though as we were always going to bore the block out to 83mm to ensure it's round. I'm not sure if we're using the old block or new block but Paul is going to pick the block he thinks is in best condition. The Wossners will replaced replaced with CP pistons and the PEC rods will be reused.

The gearbox needs another £600 spent on it! I asked Paul to send it off, as it was popping out of 6th gear every 50 to 100 or so miles when driving at a constant speed, expecting it to be a simple/cheap fix. The transmission place say the damage is so small you wouldn't notice unless told to look for it but it needs a new selector hub and 6th gear to sort the problem.

Is this another Agency Transmission c**k up or bad luck?? I'm not sure. All I know is the issue wasn't present before Agency rebuilt the gearbox.

I could just live with the niggle as they say it doesn't really require fixing but last thing I want is to buzz the engine if it popped out of gear on track or at the Ring.

I don't regret forging the new engine as the old engine was tired and burning oil. I do though regret the expense of having to do it all over again and in hindsight I should have used RS Tuning or SJM to start off with.

19. TimR26

Mid June 2015

The head from my original engine is good to reuse. Paul and I have agreed the spec so hopefully it'll be back on the road in a month or two depending on how long the machining takes.

Spec is CP 83mm pistons, PEC rods, ported head with Supertec valves, uprated spring set and standard cams.

20. TimR26

July 2015

Things are starting to progress. Crank etc has been balanced and block is being bored out to 83mm this week.

Once the machined parts are back with RS Tuning it should take a week to build up the engine and get it in the car.

I've changed my mind on the spec. Now it's having Catcam cams instead of standard cams. Reason for this is mainly to future proof the engine just in case I want more power at some point.

Hopefully it'll be ready for Cliosport Saturday at Blyton Park as I've booked the morning track time and don't really want to take the Storm Grey 172.

21. TimR26

End of July 2015

The bottom end is now built up with 83mm CP Carillo pistons, Manley rods, balanced crank and flywheel. The head is also on the engine and torqued up, delay now is waiting for Catcam to deliver the new cams. Delay is my fault for changing my mind last minute!

They've also installed a fuel line and hidden it behind the bulkhead to save time/hassle for when/if the fuel system is upgraded.

I'm thinking of going up Friday morning to see it as CS Saturday at Blyton Park isn't that far from Leeds.

22. TimR26

August 25th 2015

It's running and all back together now. Paul took it out for it's first drive this morning and has taken it home this evening to put some more miles on it.

I'm booked on the 7am flight tomorrow morning from Southampton to Leeds Bradford so should be at RS Tuning by 9am. Surprisingly it costs £65 to fly and £130 to take the train!

I'll then spend the day running the engine in and return to RS Tuning on Thursday for mapping.

Looking forward to driving it again and seeing the results once it's mapped.

23. TimR26

August 27th 2015

Today didn't quite go to plan as there was an issue with the turbo but RS Tuning sorted it out. Paul put it on the dyno to check it and it made 330bhp on 1.3bar at 5k rpm. It wasn't pushed past that as it starts to run lean because of the Catcams.

The engine is on 350 miles now so I'll do another 150 miles tomorrow morning and then Paul will map it. Looks promising so far so the results should be good.

24. TimR26

August 28th 2015

Completed the 500 miles running in which was great fun taking in roads such as the Snake Pass.

Paul mapped the car and it made 339.8bhp and 360lbft at flywheel and 287.9bhp at the wheels.

4B8E0D6D-EA9F-4CA0-ABB2-5FD516875FB6_zps4ykms4cm.jpg

DamoBarnes likes this.
  25. TimR26

October 2015 Part 1

It's now running 340bhp and 360lbft with injectors at 89% and turbo not pushed to the max. There's another LY Megane with same spec engine but upgraded fuel system running 375bhp so it's nice to know there is potential for more power in future if needed.

Here are the graphs after Paul finished mapping it.

BHP and torque at the flywheel
    RS%20Tuning%20bhp%20torque_zpsgf2eyrwl.jpg

Boost and BHP at the wheels
    RS%20Tuning%20bhp%20boost_zpsmcgks7q8.jpg

AFR and BHP at the wheels
    RS%20Tuning%20bhp%20afr_zpswagbnqbo.jpg

I noticed the Odyssey race battery was losing charge if I didn't use the R26 for a few days so I replaced it with a Varley 25. Reason I went with Varley this time is because it has better cranking amps and most importantly it looks better.
    IMG_8436_zpsqmopv37u.jpg

Next job was to replace some plastics, this lot and a new dipstick cost over £100!
    IMG_8439_zps8au5kko1.jpg

My car never had these which connect the bumper under tray to the arch liners.
    IMG_8440_zpswhlbkvkf.jpg

New arch liner as the old one had been eaten by the tyre.
    IMG_8444_zpsecfgxbt3.jpg

Hopefully it won't happen again now it's got all the correct plastics holding it in place
    IMG_8443_zpslaevcu0b.jpg

26. TimR26

October 2015 Part 2

Then once I had finished that I set about fitting my Ktec stud conversion kit which I bought a couple of years ago.
    IMG_8441_zpsufrbjcg6.jpg

It didn't come with instructions so I copied the ones on the Pure Motorsport website. Applied loctite to the studs then torqued 20nm, refitted the wheel, nuts hand tightened, then torqued to 110nm after three hours. Good excuse to get spacers now :smile:
    IMG_8446_zpsgy2qphey.jpg

Rears definitely need spacers now.
    IMG_8448_zpsqpk3tzj5.jpg

Had trouble doing the rears as the wheels were stuck on. Got them off eventually by loosening the bolts and driving it up the road.

Noticed the pad was low so ordered some replacements, I thought it would last until next weekend but I was wrong :tearsofjoy:
    IMG_8447_zpscxjmr9pf.jpg

The pad lasted until Tuesday which made for an interesting drive home so good job these arrived from George at RoadTrackRaceParts.com the next day. Decided to upgrade from oem Brembo pads to DS2500 because I've never been a fan on the oem pads and the fronts were being upgraded to Carbotech.
    IMG_8451_zpsxhmmbbzk.jpg

Carbotech XP8 pads arrived in time to fit them at the weekend along with the rear pads. Reason I went for the XP8 pad instead of the DS2500 again is the car is so much faster now that the braking felt delayed and lacked initial bite.
    IMG_8452_zpsd6sfmbdc.jpg

IMG_8455_zpslirnmsdj.jpg

Started off by doing the rears. I got my money's worth out of these pads lol
    IMG_8458_zpselefznhd.jpg

Disc is clearly worn but I chucked the new pads on anyway.
    IMG_8457_zps4yc5ikox.jpg

Caliper back on (after a trip to GSF for a caliper wind back tool)
    IMG_8460_zpsqyvrmxcj.jpg

Luckily I just about got away with it on the passenger side.
    IMG_8461_zpsawl3c8xv.jpg

Spot the difference between the old passenger side pads and new ones :tearsofjoy:
    IMG_8463_zps7kz63f82.jpg

Front pads are usually much easier but the pins were a b*****d to remove. They're not the same pins I fitted last time I replaced the pads so that might have something to do with it :confused:

Carbotechs XP8's fitted
    IMG_8466_zps2gfim4se.jpg

IMG_8467_zpsannjduot.jpg

This shows how hard one was to remove, ended up butchering it with the hammer and punch:hammer:
    IMG_8472_zps8jf9euet.jpg

Running in was conducted later that night as bedding process isn't suitable for normal hours. Bedding in requires four hard brakes from 70mph to 10mph with 30 seconds between to cool down, then four very hard brakes from 70mph+ to 10mph with 1 minute between to cool down. Then the fun part is 15 minutes driving using regular medium to hard braking with last mile using minimal braking to cool down.

The pads have been fitted for a few weeks now and I'm impressed so far. Braking from cold is good, no annoying noises, and the pads bite well as soon as you apply the brakes. They're definitely have much more power for same pedal travel compared to the DS2500.

Early today I gave it a bit on a clean as it was quite dirty.
    IMG_8536_zpshky5fmql.jpg

Then I decided to remove the heat shield under the bonnet as it hasn't coped very well with the heat from the turbo.
    IMG_8531_zpsaz1aud7s.jpg

Looks much better now, think I might have to find something to replace it with though.
    IMG_8533_zpsxex4zi5o.jpg

Finally, I won a set of Toyo R888R after entering a prize draw on the Toyo stand at the Castle Combe Performance Action Day last month :cool:
    IMG_8535_zpsuurpacrs.jpg

Spec Update

Engine (original engine rebuilt by RS Tuning)
    - 83mm CP Carillo pistons
    - Manley rods
    - ACL big end bearings
    - Catcams cams
    - Supertech valves
    - Supertech double spring kit
    - 630cc injectors
    - RS Tuning Megane 250 hybrid turbo
    - Forge recirc value and actuator
    - ITG induction kit with larger ITG filter
    - Forge intercooler
    - Forge hard pipe kit
    - Forge coolant hoses
    - Mocal oil catch can
    - Varley 25 battery
    - Powdercoated inlet, engine mount, oil breather plate and brackets
    - Ktec 3" exhaust
    - Mapped by RS Tuning 339.8bhp and 360lbft

Transmission
    - R26 refurbished original gearbox
    - RS Tuning SMF
    - R26.r clutch

Handling
    - Cooksport lowering springs
    - R26 dampers and topmounts
    - Ktec stud conversion kit
    - R26 anthracite alloys with AD08R tyres

Braking
    - Carbotech XP8 front pads
    - Brembo HC front discs
    - Ferodo DS2500 rear pads
    - Renault drilled rear discs
    - Goodridge brake hoses
    - ATE Super Blue fluid

Interior and Exterior
    - GoPro mount above radio display
    - Scanguage II
    - Recaro seat base carbon build no. decals
    - R26.r spoiler in LY
    - MEGANE badge delete

To Do List
    - new Brembo pins
    - new heatshield under bonnet
    - bonnet strut kit
    - wheel spacers
    - rear strut brace (bought it about three years ago lol)
    - powdercoat spare Forge hardpipe, inlet and oil breather plate (colour to be decided)
    - Toyo R888R 235 40 18 tyres to be fitted in February
    - Tarox F2000 grooved front discs once Brembo HCs are worn out
    - Fuel system upgrade inc swirl pot etc

27. TimR26

November 2015 Part 1

So 6th gear has gone!

It happened two weeks ago, I was driving home in 6th when it started rattling. First thought was s**t the engine has gone but to my relief the noise went when I changed down. All other gears are fine but 6th crunches when selected and then rattles.

Luckily I was less than a mile from home and I haven't driven it since so shouldn't be any further damage.

Car was collected yesterday so hopefully it won't take too long to get sorted.

28. TimR26

November 2015 Part 2

I've had the gearbox inspected by 3D Transmissions in Reading. It needs 6th gear pair, crown wheel, pinion shaft, 2nd gear synchro, and input bearing. The 6th gears on input and main have lost teeth which have then damaged the crown wheel and pinion shaft. I'm pissed off about the bearings though as I expected Agency to have changed them!

The parts are on backorder so it might take a while to get fixed. I'd get a second hand gearbox from Renparts but it's a false economy when the rebuild is only £200 more.

I'm going to uprate the clutch, RS Tuning say they can send my R26r clutch to be remade so it'll take more torque for £150.

I've also found out that there's a bit of a parts list building to get it back in top shape!

The hub bearings on passenger side have seized solid which is surprising I hadn't noticed an issue and they where changed only two or three years ago! Twist links, ball joints and bushes on lower arms are shot so I've decided to Powerflex everything as it's easy while the subframe is off.

It also needs a new radiator as one of the brackets which holds the intercooler has snapped. I'm going to change the coolant to Evans Waterless and tempted to fit a Laminova as well but I'm going to be spending as lot as it is lol

It is starting to test my patience this car, it's fantastic when it's working but I've only driven it for 5 out of the last 15 months!

29. TimR26

December 2015 Part 1

It's been sat in bits for over a month now sat looking sorry for itself but hopefully it'll be up and running by the end of the week.
    97C33E7F-C355-4945-8665-275E4801BF99_zpspbccqfvt.jpg

I collected the gearbox this evening. It's taken so long because the parts where on backorder and had to come from Renault France. Then they were stuck in France for a couple of weeks because Renault wouldn't send them!?

I'm very happy with work 3D Transmissions have done though as it looks almost new now and it's had 6th gear pair, crown wheel, pinion shaft, 2nd gear synchro, and all bearings and seals replaced.
    IMG_8632_zpszbmt75iw.jpg

IMG_8631_zpsd1te8tbw.jpg

While I've been waiting for the gearbox it's been getting a fortune spent on it in parts.

Subframe looked awful with new ball joints and twist links needed so I decided to get it stripped down so it could be smartened up and polybushed.
    C854852B-A463-4F86-9305-82283E8B0FD8_zpsgau2n4o4.jpg

A27BE736-FEB4-45DE-AB11-C2787F2B3C04_zpssuxuo4sa.jpg

71D14F05-FBFE-4845-A9BC-8AC2E5DD7DBE_zpsrej98ueo.jpg

I've had a few bits powder coated with lower arms and arb in red and brackets that hold arb to subframe in silver. I haven't seen them yet but I'm expecting them to look great.

Two of the bolts that hold the cross member brace were missing so we've changed them all to be like this.
    8CBD94F0-F942-4D38-8381-494B379313D8_zps37qy9xkx.jpg

FD125BE6-2F56-49DB-8BF1-EAE28FEF62C4_zpsa140zg4y.jpg

I cleaned up the subframe in preparation for painting.
    5BB1E089-50C6-4F35-8023-FF2DB46A7A2E_zpsdorvo898.jpg
    978FBF80-AD4E-4506-BC3C-02B6FCF648AA_zpsn24q6ser.jpg

Subframe after most the dirt was removed.
    201E50F4-0888-4DEE-BE25-DB5B8345FBF7_zpsg3g1uy26.jpg
    11928148-517D-486C-BB20-7A3FD8F4FFB9_zpsff5unfkx.jpg

Here's the painted subframe.
    IMG_8625_zpsrhyebwzc.jpg

IMG_8624_zpspfb0xd4d.jpg

The red arb and lower arms should look great against it :smiley:

Here's some of the parts I've acquired over the last month.

TRW twist links and ball joints from Mister Auto
    6FB292A9-B1FA-4708-9F8F-4AB890CCC17D_zpsulef0tun.jpg

Thanks to Russ at SW Autos for sorting out all my Powerflex bushes at a great price. I've known Russ for ages but it was first time I've used him for parts and I would recommend 100%.

Powerflex engine mounts
    74D274DE-FC66-46E8-A4AF-2BDE66EE0174_zpsnbwteeit.jpg

Powerflex arb and lower arm bushes, and hub bearings.
    022C6283-1BE8-457D-B19C-D02F7EAEC561_zpspiutqymc.jpg

Powerflex rear beam bushes (probably not going to fit straight away)
    112A689E-D63F-4369-9286-741E27BAEA44_zpsowr5uj7j.jpg

Ordered a few bits off eBay to replace the missing rod on the xenon level sensor which attaches to the subframe.
    3C5A358A-13FE-4EEE-8A07-48D663168FA4_zpsvghl6jul.jpg

I've also bought a new radiator (bracket that holds it to subframe had snapped off), radiator mounting bushes (also missing), and a nearside driveshaft (broken clip and lost grease).

R26r clutch is being replaced with new R26r clutch as it showed signs of wear and had hot spots. The old clutch will go off to be uprated like @Gray has had done. I hadn't felt my clutch slipping so I'm hoping I won't need it for a few years though!

I'm going to drop the gearbox off later today so hopefully it will all go back together ok and it'll pass it's MOT which expired yesterday.

Yesterday (Monday 7th December) it also turned 8 years old so Happy Birthday you expensive b*****d!

Gray likes this.
  30. TimR26

December 2015 Part 2

Now on to the gearbox damage. It needed a 6th gear pair, crown wheel and a pinion shaft as they were damaged. There was wear to the 2nd gear synchro and a couple of bearings so they were replaced along with rest of the bearings and seals.

It looks like another Agency Transmissions special as which I wouldn't expect to have to replace a synchro and bearings within 7000 miles of a rebuild. I know a few people who have had issues now so would not recommend them.

Damaged 6th gear pair. I was shocked at the damage as it hadn't been subjected to loads of torque when it failed.
    6511eb39-282f-4256-b821-f96a917a9ae0_zpspgqibzhp.jpg

Crown wheel damage
    IMG_8646_zpsgnwd0o4e.jpg

Pinion shaft damage
    IMG_8644_zpsc4k3jqnx.jpg

Looking at this positively it's going to come back better than ever. No corner is being cut so this should be the end of my bad luck.

31. TimR26

December 2015 Part 3

So that was the damage to gearbox and while it's been off being rebuilt I've been busy making improvements.

Powerflex gearbox and dogbone mounts ready to go back on the car.
    IMG_8626_zpso2mwikud.jpg

IMG_8660_zpsnzexlxqa.jpg

Subframe painted black
    IMG_8638_zpsobxkfpna.jpg

ARB powdercoated red with Powerflex bushes installed.
    IMG_8655_zpswvmuz8tv.jpg

Lower arms powdercoated red with TRW ball joints and Powerflex bushes
    IMG_8659_zpsoz5eajno.jpg

I'm very happy with how it all looks :cool:
    IMG_8662_zpss9qzodhy.jpg

IMG_8664_zpsnpq62aww.jpg

Especially as the gearbox compliments it well having come back looking so good from 3D Transmissions.
    IMG_8633_zpse8iyaxnk.jpg

IMG_8634_zpskeqnk7gm.jpg

Sorry to bash again but compare that to how it came back from Agency Transmissions. Obviously you don't judge a book by it's cover but the customer experience from 3D Transmissions has been much better.
    [​IMG]

It's all going back into car this week along with a new R26r clutch.
    IMG_8636_zpsc0qfnz1h.jpg

Hold up now is the hub bearings as we discovered on Friday the insert (bit on the right in photo) has worn too much causing a bit of play.
    IMG_8663_zpssgp1llgk.jpg

I've ordered the inserts from Mark Black along with new bolts he's developed with a grease nipple to help keep the bearings lubricated. The inserts have to be machined though so might not be with me this week.

I'm hoping that it will be back on the road by next Monday if not sooner.

It's not going to be driven much though as I've decided to keep the 172 as my daily driver. I have found dry storage for the R26 I can access 24/7 so it's going to be a weekend/trackday/Nurburgring car.

32. TimR26

January 2016 Part 1

I've got the R26 back home now.

Mark Black couldn't supply the parts I needed for the hubs so Performance Cars Specialist who have done all the work machined the parts instead.

The gearbox feels great now and there's no vibration from the Powerflex bushes so I'm very happy.

The Pure Motorsport 10mm spacers on front make the wheels fill the arches much better.

Unfortunately their 18mm spacers for the rear don't fit. It looks like they haven't taken the hub nut covers into account as they make it sit proud of the disc by 3 or 4mm. I haven't decided if I'll have them machined to fit or return them for 10mm spacers instead.

I'll get some photos of how it looks once I've had a chance to clean it!

Next on to do list is get my spare set of R26 alloys refurbished for the R888R tyres to go on. I want something that stands out so thinking of red unless anyone has any good suggestions.

33. TimR26

January 2016 Part 2

So I got the R26 back, used it to go to work the next day then on way home it developed a very bad misfire :angry:

Wiggling the coil pack wiring changed the engine note so there was a wiring issue. I went to remove the coil pack connectors and one was broken so that was another issue. Once the coils and plugs were removed I could there was also an issue coil on cylinder 1.

These are the old spark plugs, looks like water had got into plug hole for cylinder one.

img_8720_zpsus0qadfs-jpg.jpg

I purchased some Valeo green top coil packs to replace the old set (kept the three good ones as spares!).
    img_8712_zpsrdf6u0uz-jpg.jpg

New spark plugs from Renault Parts Direct and managed to find new connectors for the coil packs after a bit of research.
    Also bought some new wheel nuts for £13 off eBay as well because the nuts that come with the Ktec stud kit are really soft.
    img_8718_zpserrhinj3-jpg.jpg

img_8719_zpsdguguzcd-jpg.jpg

I got the car back on Friday with the issues fixed, and the front and rear PMS spacers fitted. Rear spacers had to be machined so they would fit over the dust cap.
    img_8678_zpsnx6ruloo-jpg.jpg

img_8679_zpsuzpad1gm-jpg.jpg

Yesterday I took it to Surrey Rolling Road for the meet I'd organised.
    img_8756_zpsuvrzooci-jpg.jpg

img_8760_zpsygagzuiz-jpg.jpg

It made 329.9bhp and 360lbft which is identical to it's last run at RS Tuning. Graphs show comparison to the old forged engine before mapping.

img_8810_zpsezkthj9y-jpg.jpg

img_8811_zpsjkgmrm4u-jpg.jpg

Here's it on the dyno

I really like the stance now with the spacers and there's an added bonus that it straddles speed bumps perfectly now lol

I'm hoping I'll finally be able to get a few trackdays booked in now and go to Nurburgring either at Easter or in April.

I also still need to get my spare set of alloys refurbed and the R888R's fitted.

34. TimR26

February 2016

I'm pleased with how it looks with the spacers.
    9271DABF-ACFA-457D-8982-DB44ACFC8950_zpshdks6dvu.jpg

Last Saturday I got two new AD08R tyres in 235 40 18 fitted.
    C2DC0DF6-B17D-4CA7-A2D1-275672497C89_zpsn7bxyaks.jpg

And moved the 225 40 18 AD08R's to the rear.
    131CC35E-BE40-473F-B4F1-99EBF8A84DBE_zpsdgz6zwek.jpg

The wider profile front tyres have really helped with getting the power down on to the road. It was torque steering and a bit of a handful when accelerating hard in 2nd and 3rd gear but now it just grips!

I decided to sell the Storm Grey 172 last Sunday as the maths for running a 172 and R26 just didn't add up.
    8A1315AB-D2F6-4566-91CD-5219D7DF1A05_zpsk21dy6xa.jpg

It was a good little car and I got offered full asking price by several people within 24 hours of putting the sale advert up. I would have ended up running it into the ground though so I'm glad it went on Thursday so someone who'll fix the damage and get it back to it's best.
    23BC03D8-EB23-4C9D-9764-E97A580EF412_zpst6l7lhc8.jpg

I had a couple of days off on Thursday and Friday so I decided to do something about fitting my AEM AFR gauge.

Decided to mount it under the radio along with my Scangauge which already occupies that space.
    126DAD1F-A6A3-43EB-8940-465B2B3389C0_zpsxsg3zje8.jpg

Mocked up a template using cardboard from a cereal box.
    7A1E34DD-A027-4659-8E62-97BF6CBCB8E6_zpsguoxkx5r.jpg

Transferred it to masking tape on a sheet of carbon fibre.
    IMG_8865_zpslx0vgk2b.jpg

Cut out the outline and it was a perfect fit straight away, must have been beginners luck lol.
    IMG_8866_zpsg0bfwyg0.jpg

Cut out the hole and filed down edges for the Scangauge to fit snuggly.
    IMG_8867_zpsbaf42qna.jpg

Tricky part was the hole for the AFR gauge. There wasn't a hole saw the correct so I had to drill holes into the carbon fibre.
    IMG_8868_zps9j3yvzf8.jpg

Then used these tools to file back until the right size and siliconed in the AFR gauge.
    IMG_8870_zpskhepzgqx.jpg

I'm pleased with the end result just need to wire the AFR gauge to a power source now.
    IMG_8872_zpsqkqntonb.jpg

On Friday I picked up my spare set of alloys from having a refurb in a subtle colour :tearsofjoy:
    11F848DE-79DB-44D2-8CE6-95957D923825_zpsna3zrksr.jpg

I decided to get my R888R tyres fitted straight away so managed to shove everything into the car.
    IMG_8874_zpsxoxrwt51.jpg

IMG_8875_zpstkeqcvym.jpg

I couldn't be bothered to fit them properly so this'll have to do for now but I think they'll look quite good as trackday wheels.
    IMG_8876_zpsp2pdch74.jpg

Keeping one in the boot as a spare and other three are in the garage.
    IMG_8877_zps5xrmdy7x.jpg

Next on the to do list over the next year or so is to upgrade the fuel system (swirl pot etc) and get the paintwork sorted.

In the meantime though I'll be enjoying driving it daily, trackdays, and trips to the Nurburgring

35. TimR26

Spec update

Engine
    (original engine rebuilt by RS Tuning)
    - 83mm CP Carillo pistons
    - Manley rods
    - ACL big end bearings
    - Catcams cams
    - Supertech valves
    - Supertech double spring kit
    - 630cc injectors
    - RS Tuning Megane 250 hybrid turbo
    - Forge recirc value and actuator
    - ITG induction kit with larger ITG filter
    - Forge intercooler
    - Forge hard pipe kit
    - Forge coolant hoses
    - Mocal oil catch can
    - Varley 25 battery
    - Powdercoated inlet, engine mount, oil breather plate and brackets
    - Ktec 3" exhaust
    - Mapped by RS Tuning 329.9bhp and 360lbft

Transmission
    - R26 refurbished original gearbox
    - RS Tuning SMF
    - R26.r clutch

Handling
    - Cooksport lowering springs
    - R26 dampers and topmounts
    - Poweflex lower arm and ARB bushes
    - Powerflex engine mount bushes
    - Ktec stud conversion kit
    - R26 anthracite alloys with AD08R tyres
    - R26 red alloys with R888R tyres

Braking
    - Carbotech XP8 front pads
    - Brembo HC front discs
    - Ferodo DS2500 rear pads
    - Renault drilled rear discs
    - Goodridge brake hoses
    - ATE Super Blue fluid

Interior and Exterior
    - GoPro mount above radio display
    - Scanguage II
    - AEM AFR gauge
    - Recaro seat base carbon build no. decals
    - R26.r spoiler in LY
    - MEGANE badge delete

36. TimR26

April 2016

It's going to get it's first proper run out in a weeks time. I'm off to the Ring with my friends Fletcher in his 172, and Christopher as my passenger.

This was it two years ago with about 260bhp so it should go a bit faster now.

IMG_6006_zpsfe34096c.jpg

37. TimR26

Nurburgring April 2016 Update

Taken the R26 to the Nurburgring this weekend.

DF250E71-8281-426C-904A-C8918C1B0B40_zpsbujxralh.jpg

Yesterday's lap times, last lap had to slow at Hatzenbach for yellow flags.

980DA428-02A5-4EE1-8DEF-DD70B64A9083_zpsxge5pxje.png

It's been a great trip despite snow meaning we didn't get as many dry laps as we had hoped. The red wheels are wrapped in R888R tyres which were great in wet and dry.

It was slightly annoying that conditions meant you were never 100% confident in what you would find round the next corner or over the next crest. Lap times show that with being able to cut 30 seconds off my time in four laps!

I'm nowhere near the potential of the car at moment. Think it's going to take a few trackdays to get used to pushing it hard again.

Passenger lap with Fletcher in his 172 showed that there's a lot more speed to be carried in corners up to Hohe Acht. I'm pretty much flat out from Wipperman/Brunnchen to the Gantry though.

EF53F45B-48BC-4ED2-9759-FFAC41645997_zpsimy8f2ii.jpg

EF9C6A68-CA50-410A-8A09-2AB0DE64D198_zpsyxalohcl.jpg

I was pleased with my best time though especially as car is basically new to me and conditions weren't ideal. It's getting the lines right and more bravery/not lifting in places that's required now.

Here's the video of the 8min 35sec lap. I lost about 3 seconds because of the yellow flag and had to lift quite a few times because of the white BMW.

I can improve by not lifting through Tiergarten, taking more curb through bends leading to Flugplatz, and not lifting before Flugplatz. I could also probably carry more speed down to Aremburg, and through the Foxhole then use curb on exit of Adenauer Forst.

Miss Hit Miss I found I could carry more speed by taking a wider line. Ex Muhle needs work on entry to carry more speed. Then the drag up to Karrussel needs a bit of bravery to not lift in places.

The entry into Hohe Acht can definitely carry more speed. Reasonably happy with the rest of the lap apart from entry into Eschbach which I could probably try taking in fourth then down to third for Brunnchen.

38. TimR26

That's my project thread up to date. It's been an eventful year or two getting the car to this point!

39. This thread is crazy and insane!! You had some dam bad luck with this car but it must be nice to drive with that much power. You must have spent a fair wack on this car.

40. TimR26

I've spent a lot more than intended. I almost sold the car to tuutur from Netherlands for £3.5k before shipping it off to RS Tuning. I just couldn't let the car go though as I love it so much!

The gearbox going the second time was a big kick in the nuts though! In hindsight I would buy a new gearbox from Renault as it would have been cheaper!