Timing belt buggered

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by sharkymarky88, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Hi chaps,

Been told the timing belt has gone AWOL on my car so gonna be getting it sorted and back on the road.....

Just wanted to know what sort of bill to expect from such a job, I had the 'full service' of water pump/ belts done about a year and half ago and that came to around £500 all in.

Cheers guys,
    Mark

2. Timing belt gone, as in snapped? if so most likely a few valves are buggered it would be cheaper getting a second hand engine and chucking that in IMO if your looking for a garage to do it i'd expect a £1000-£1500 bill as the head will need to be rebuilt with new valves etc although it will probably be similar with a second hand engine after you've changed the belts etc if not already done

3. Proper head refurb will be around 400, cambelt 300 odd labour 400-500

4. Bad luck fella, really feel for you. As stated, it's going to be over £1k.

Out of interest, who did the 'full service' of which you speak?

5. Was a family member who's family run a local garage

6. Thanks for the info by the way guys, just waiting on a call from the garage for a quote now.

7. Have a word with Mick at diamond motors (I think that's his name), I am sure he said that there is a Laguna/Espace/something head that you can use on the engine. From what I read on the forum, it is pretty much a direct fit.. Could be cheaper sourcing a 2nd hand off that rather than rebuilding your own?

8. MicKPM

MicKPM RSM Trader RSM Trader

The trouble with that @Ewant81 is you need to find someone who is willing to break a good, used engine and most scrap yards are reluctant to do so these days (They lose money). The Laguna II/Espace IV/Megane II (Non-RS) 2.0T will be a straight swap but you'll need to move the RS fuel rail and turbo over (Obviously).

@sharkymarky88 - Are 100% you sure the belt has snapped? Even a cheap Chinese belt kit would be able to do 18months work. I only ask as there may be another reason for it and i'd hate for you to pay to have the rectification work done only for it to die again. Just lately I've had a run on Megane III's with 1.5dCi's in snapping belts which is a fairly well known issue on them but it still boils my piss that this happens after people spend money to have work done.

9. Thanks for the advice guys, it's greatly appreciated.

@ ewant81 the trouble with that is that I need the car back on the road ASAP as it's my daily runner and am currently a bus wanker lol

@mickpm yeah it's definitely gone, I wouldn't want to risk getting a knock off kit, I'd rather have the piece of mind knowing that it's all above board.

The final bill from the garage came in at £1360 all in.....

A complete bastard of a bill but I suppose that's just the joys of motoring.

The harsh reality is that I was planning on selling the car in the next couple of weeks so it's come at a really bad time! At least someone will have a touch when it comes to buying it!

On that note if anyone is in the market for a ph1 with 69k WITH BRAND NEW BELT AND BRAND NEW HEAD and F/S/H then drop me a pm!! :wink:

10. @mick pm Fair enough, just remembered you talking about it!

@sharkymarky88 Sometimes you just need to pay, but at least the engine will be the better for it :smile:

11. Have they taken the head off yet? if not your bill may be going up...

12. @ewant81 yeah I know mate, the thing aswell is I wouldn't want to sell the car on unless it was all hunky dory. Hopefully I can salvage some money from selling it.

13. *update*

Spoke to the garage today and should have my baby back tomorrow afternoon as there was a massive wait on the valves and timing belt kit apparently??

However I'm just glad that she's back for now.

All in the bill was £1360 for the parts and labour and that included a new pipe for the air con and re-gassing too....

A hefty bill but I guess that's just the joys of motoring at times :/

Thanks for all your help and advice though guys.

Mark

14. Wow.

I hope it's right for you now fella, really do.

I feel your pain. My R26 checked out fine, HPI'd, everthing. Cost me 3 grand in maintenance in the first year....

15. Thanks mate, gutted to hear you've had troubles too.

Spoke to the mechanic today and he was telling me that it was the auxiliary belt that had failed and frayed getting caught in the timing belt and fooked all 16 valves.

They are keeping it overnight just to make sure it's running full power and will have it back in the morning :smiley:

16. Well at least it sounds like it's on the mend.

Glad you've got it sorted mate.

17. Good to hear you got it back on the road. I am sure you will soon forget about it once you are driving it again!