250 Thumping sound when accelerating hard

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by JoeRS, Dec 7, 2016.

1. I've just noticed that when I accelerate hard in 1st I get a loud thumping sound/vibration that repeats quickly about 4-5 times. . It sounds like it's coming from underneath my feet, any ideas what this could be? I don't seem to get it in the higher gears.

I recorded a video which I will try and upload.

2. Traction control kicking in ??? mines the same in 1st/2nd gear unless race mode activated then just loads of smoke lol

3. Hmm it does seem to coincide with the TC light coming on, if it is the TC I'm surprised I've not noticed it before (had the car 5 months). I suppose the roads are quite slippy this time of the year and the 370ft lb torque isn't helping :smile:

The sound is pretty bad though, sounds like something is about to snap off the car. I'll get a video up over the weekend so you can confirm if it's the TC.

Thanks

4. After a googling I think it might be something called wheel hop/axle tramp or it could be the engine/gearbox mounts?

5. Sound like wheelhop yes.

It sounds like the suspension is sort of violently hitting its stops
    You feel it shaking as well

I don't know why some Megane's have it and others just spin the wheels, if anyone could explain?

6. Might be how stiff/worn the engine mounts are?

7. Mine tramps too, put it down to a worn engine mount so I'm planning to change the gearbox mount and rear dog bone

8. So 99.9% sure this is wheel hop now, my car still has a month left of warranty so if there is an issue with the engine/gearbox mounts I would like to get this done. What are the other symptoms of worn mounts? Some other things I've noticed with the car is there is a bit of gear stick movement, the gear changes are not particularly smooth (might just be characteristics of the gearbox). The throttle is quite jerky

9. Well my car only had wheelhop once, it is just something that can happen in a fwd with alot of torque.

If it does it all time, in dry roads too, you could start checking if it's a tyre, suspension or engine mounts problem.

For example I once had a stage 1 2.0tdi vw golf 6, if it was anything other than dry it would wheelhop like crazy in 2nd gear, due to the suspension not up to the job in combination with poor traction control that couldn't be fully turned off