Throttle actuator fault - help!

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Daz, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Daz

Daz

Chaps! Broke down earlier but managed to get off the motorway just about... Car lost power and just sat at 2,000 rpm and wouldn't drop, esp/asr/injection faults galore!

Turned the car off and turned it back on and the engine just sat a 2,000 rpm, although if I pressed the brake pedal it wend down? let off and it returned to 2,000 rpm.

Luckily I had my obd reader in the car - came up with Throttle actuator fault bank 1 fault on obd reader, cleared the code and managed to continue, did it again, reset then went away for the rest of my journey

Is this the actual body or a bogus coil or injector fault? Esp/Acr came up first though, and the car drove fine afterwards, coils and injectors are all pretty recent and none of the usual fault codes showed up regarding those.

Could it be a loose connector on the throttle pedal potentially? It's the only thing I can think of as I gave it a good hoover yesterday and I was up around the pedals..

First time it's ever let me down!!

2. I'm not sure this will be much help, but when my R26 throttle body failed, I had no revs, only tickover, but as per your experience, clearing the fault would allow it to function again for a time. I think a new body was £260ish.

If you can start it up at 2k revs and manipulate the pedal connector that might tell you more possibly?

3. Daz

Daz

I thought that, I need it to have that issue again to try that though, the car is actually at the body shop until Monday so the drive home could be interesting :smile:

One other thing that popped into my head, it was proper torrential can't see for shit raining, you never know it COULD have been water ingress possibly? although thinking now the bay was bone dry when I looked for faults.

4. I had same fault come up on mine, code reader said throttle cable, but after replacing various parts and fault still intermittently coming on, it turned out to be my map sensors playing up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Daz

Daz

I'm hoping it's not going to be one of these change everything buggers...

6. Sadly that's the only way I managed to get rid of my fault, change one thing test it, change another test it, eventually got rid of the fault

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Daz

Daz

Well it'll make an interesting 1hr 40 mins drive home next week!