The need to bleed

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Fordy, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Can anyone help me with this....?

I have to constantly bleed the near side caliper on my 225 Trophy - every three or four weeks otherwise the brakes go off and the pedal needs pumping to get the brakes working.

It's been like since I've had it (3 years) and did improve dramatically when I bled the clutch but gradually it came back..

Obviously there are no signs of brake fluid anywhere....

Really starting to pee me off!

Cheers

Paul

2. is you clutch slave cylinder leaking, this will be inside the gearbox clutch bell so difficult to see, i am afraid its a gearbox out jobi unless you can drill a hole on the clutch bell and look with an inspection camera.

if not you must have an air/fluid leak somewhere waiting to be found.

3. Thanks Mate - i didn't think of the slave cylinder :worried: (I won't be taking the box off to check!!)

It's weird though that its always the same caliper - nothing else.

4. When you say you need to bleed it, do you mean that you're seeing air coming out of the bleed nipple when you're cracking it open?

If so, air must be entering the system, and as air bubbles won't travel from any of the high points all the way down to the caliper, it must be entering at the caliper itself. Not that I've ever heard of the issue, but it could be entering from the bleed nipple itself, or around the piston seal. I'd refurb the caliper with new seals, or try a new bleed nipple and see if it goes away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Yeh - as I bleed it regularly I'm only seeing a tiny bit of air coming out - but it makes all the difference!

There are 2 bleed nipples (one fo reach side) - i haven't tried just bleeding one to pinpoint it. I guess i could and if only one has air that may suggest the nipple or if both the seals? There is no evidence of fluid though.

Actually, I've never looked at or around the ABS pump (and I have no idea where it is!) could a leak here push air through do you think?

Thanks

6. does fluid level drop in reservoir ??

7. Very slightly I guess - certainly not significantly

8. It certainly sounds odd. I'd definitely try a quick bleed on the opposite caliper just to see if there's any air present. Problems with air getting into the abs pump normally manifest themselves as air trapped within it, rather than getting pushed further into the system.

If you're seeing air in the caliper that keeps reappearing, I can't see any other way that it could get there other than what I mentioned before. If the leak is small enough, it could mean that air is getting drawn in when releasing the pedal, but fluid can't escape due to small size. It's about the only plausible explanation i can think of!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mircea likes this.
  9. Cheers - I'll let you know how I get on.....