265 The difference ns remappers?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Frimley111R, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Firstly, this in not about who people like/don't like, what I am interested in is what the differences are in what they do. Given that any number of companies could remap my engine what does one do that another may not? I believe they have a standard map and then tweak it for the car. Is that correct? Given the engine is a standard unit it can't be that complex?

Also, for 265 owners (and 275?), given that the map only comes in when you press the sport button, which also makes the throttle sharper, how often do you actually have the car switched to its higher performance setting? The throttle seems a bit sensitive to keep in Sport mode all the time.

2. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

The map won't just be on the sport button, unless you ask them for it that way

3. Oh right, so how is it split?

4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

What do you mean?

When you have it mapped it is mapped all the time, In normal and sport. If you really want to leave the stock map on normal mode then have them map it on the sport button like you have now but with more power then if you use a decent mapper its easily done.

5. I mean that with mine i have 250bhp but 265 when the sport button is pressed.

6. you'll probably find it's more than that anyway, a stock 250 is rarely below 260bhp, some maps generate greater torque than others.

Mines pretty even at 303 bhp / 305 lbf.ft. To much torque on a FWD car isn't that great an idea anyway (still would have liked it though!)

Mine cost £250 and this included rolling road before and after + custom map.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  7. I'm a bit confused now. I thought the Sport buttom sharpened the throttle response, added an extra 15bhp and did something to the stability programme. Have I got that wrong?

8. No you haven't got it wrong - that's what it does and that's how it works.

On the 275 at least, you can then change the throttle map to even more extreme, or to a snow setting, or in between.

The race mode backs off the driver aids completely and keeps the throttle map the same as the sport setting.

To answer you OP question, I have the map on and off several times whilst on most journeys (hate the stupid placement of the button - should be on the wheel). When going for an overtake I'll engage it for instance and then turn it back off in traffic. In town, you're right, the sport throttle map is too jumpy.

On a side note, the sport map does make the shift from 1st to 2nd a lot smoother I've noticed.

9. On the 275 I seem to find the 'Sport' throttle map the best, Extreme is good (and fun if you're just blasting), but is quite jumpy for anything but going fast lol. Totally agree with you on button placement too, I use it on and off on journeys, and having to reach down is a pain.

10. Thanks, I spoke to Paul at RST and he said most people just had the car mapped so it didn't have the extra 15bhp on the button making the sport button 'pointless' but clearly its not given the sharper throttle and relax ESC.