Taller shifter - anyone interested in?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by bulardas, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Hello,

I'm in the process of building my self a taller gear shifter (similar with what you gain on a CAE shifter, but without the whole billet-ery involved). So what you get is the gear stick closer to the steering wheel and a better feeling shifting gears.

Does anyone consider this an interesting proposition or is just me? (again, I'm not speaking about the blingy billet stuff, just the functionality it offers)

http://www.shop.cae-racing.de/bilde...r-fuer-Renault-Megane-III-RS-2006-2012_b3.jpg

S.

2. If you are happy with it, fine. Some will like it,some will not. Good for you,giving it a go.

3. Yes me mate! I'd be very interested in your development of something like this for mk2 megane. I have tried the PMS shifter on the mk2 clio and like the idea a lot, especially as I run harnesses now due to cage etc

4. How will you be addressing the extra throw that come with extending the shifter length?

5. I'm moving the pivoting point higher so the shifter arm stays pretty much the same. In fact I plan even reducing the overall throw, especially the left-right one with is not addresses by the short-shifter solution available.
    If I realise the knob is too high, I can shorten the arm.
    Hope this answers your question.

S.

6. if it was to look as good as the cae system i will be interested

7. No, is not going to look anything different to the OEM shifter, except that is taller and after some modification much stiffer.
    S.

8. You not he only one with this in the pipeline.. :wink:
    I've to coming up with concept idea recently too
    but mine probably won't be compatible with interior as I have none..

9. Mine is as OEM as possible with added function.

10. Sounds interesting any photos or design drawings yet

11. I'd be interested as well, I emailed CAE last year to see if they would do one for the mk2, they said they were doing one this year for it but I like the idea of the OEM look better, keep me informed please , when will it be ready ?

12. Not yet, as I'm expecting some parts to come and start building it. I will post pics when I will have them.

S.

13. Interested to see what you come up with.

14. Ok, so parts arrived. I will take a picture to see the difference in height. After a close inspection, the adaptation is much easier than I expected. The difference in height is around 20 cm with the stock gear knob. Now, we work on minimising the free-play in the cables and the metallic feeling we are after. Some parts are needed to be fabricated. I will keep you all posted.

S.

15. Would be interested once it is perfected.

16. Looking forward to this

17. F3x

F3x

Me too :smiley:

18. I'd like one!

19. Any news on this as would like something like this for my mk2

20. Hello,

So a little update on this. I got the parts and it seems there are a couple of independent tasks to be filled first.

- taller shifter: done, solution available, stock movement, stock fitment, stock feeling
    - metallic feeling, no free-play, direct gear engagement: in the works
    - no leather boot, nice racing shifter bar: looking for solutions
    - delrin gear knob: looking for solutions. Stock Renault gear knobs fit without any issues.
    - replacement for the leather boot: looking for solution, is just for looks, not for function.

S.

21. Im super interested in this mate something I suspect anyone who's seen a cae shifter in a megane 3 will also be too

22. Thanks for the update! Still very keen

23. Still interested

24. Bulardas I love the concept and the look , very interested :wink:

25. NJH

NJH

Even just an inch would be a big a improvement, Bulardas I think you are going to get plenty of customers me included.

26. We dont want to know what your partner says in the comfort of your own home

Lewis and nickfrog like this.
  27. I will try to post a pic of the shifter and the difference in height today. Is not installed, but you can make an idea.
    And an inch is always an inch.

S.

28. Any luck with the pics mate ?

29. Hello all,

As promised a picture of the taller shifter and the difference in height. The difference is around 15cm.

Please keep in mind I still have to install it in the car and make sure it really work as I hope. Also, another major modifications I'm doing is to remove as much as possible the free-play and the rubbery feel our original shifter has.
    Also, this is going to be first tested on my car which is a diesel and had a PK4 rather than a ND0. I'm sure it can be fitted to 225/R26 (if I manage to fit it on my car of course) but some extra modifications needs to be done.

Let me know your thoughts,

S.

[​IMG]

MilosB, poppap7 and Just-that-ek like this.
  30. Great work mate :smiley:

31. Looking good mate

32. Love the idea! I'll definitely be in, subject to costs of course! I really want a CAE but they're so pricey!

33. Looks great will definetly be interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34. NJH

NJH

Looks mega.

35. I'd like one too. The CAE looks too 'race car' for me, so something that is decent but more in-fitting with the trim would be perfect.

36. Very interested

Regards
    KT

37. Sorry for taking me so long to come with updates but all kind of things happened in the meantime. The only thing I need to do is to mount the actual thing on the car and start driving it. I have to admit I made things harder because I wanted also a shorter throw on the lateral movement, but that is also sorted.
    I will come with some pics once the whole lot is installed in the car.

S.

Mattyt likes this.
  38. If you want someone to really test one I could fit one in my race car once your happy with your prototype [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

39. Take my money!!!