R26 Talk to me about oil catch cans

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Dale1uk, Oct 14, 2018.

1. I'm considering installing an oil catch can on my R26 and I'm after a little bit of info.

The installs that I have seen show it being installed on the breather to inlet pipe. I understand that this is to help limit the amount of oil vapour going back through the inlet tract and coating the turbo/intercooler/throttle body with oil.

What I've not really seen is anything installed on the breather to inlet manifold pipe. Is there a reason why this one is left as normal. Would it not be beneficial to have an oil cooler set up on this line too?

Also does anyone vent to atmosphere instead of back into the intake? Any pros/cons of doing this?

Many thanks

2. Anyone?

3. Was researching this a while back myself and found a good article here http://www.enginebasics.com/Engine Basics Root Folder/Catch_Can.html
    There's not a lot of room in the meg engine bay for a proper set up, unless you relocate the battery. I've used vta on a 200sx before which was literally a mini cone filter on the rocker box breather, no pipework. Had no problem with it but not sure what'd need to be done on the meg as I've not looked at it properly. Hopefully helps you out.