250 Tac-tac noise. Dephaser pulley?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by manugtt, May 31, 2020.

1. Hi partners. Bad news today...
    I´ve noticed a few times a metallic noise in the timing belt area. Only heard it when the car is on service temperature and you drive around 2k or 3k rmp. If you hit the gas until those rpm. in neutral gear, you can heard it too. And if you stop the engine, you heard it again just a moment before the engine is totally stop. Maybe is not because the same, but also noticed the gas is a bit sudden in the moment that you step the pedal and noticed some misfiring when revs down.
    I´m 80% that the problem is the dephaser pulley(I´d change the timing belt kit 1000km. ago:sleepy:), only am asking for any ideas or advices.
    Anyway, thanks in advance!:wink:

2. Well, I order a new pulley kit to Renault(around 120€), so tomorrow will fit it and hope the damn noise disappear. I keep you informed!

3. go move, have you timing belt tool ??

4. Yes man, in the garage where I work have a lot of tools. It gonna be an easy job, because don´t need to remove all the covers, only the engine mount, pulleys cover and camshaft caps. When remove the old pulley, I´ll strip it, I´m interested how works and what kind of internal pieces have.

5. Here we are! And cheaper than I thought!
    IMG_3036.jpg IMG_3035.jpg

ianplymouth likes this.
  6. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

How much then, i think mine was around £90

7. Something like that Ian. Mine has been 86€. Today has been a hard day of work and I finish so tired. I´ll fit it tomorrow, don´t need the car anyway until weekend.

8. ianplymouth

not too bad then, you just changing the pulley or are you doing the belt as well ???

9. I change the belt past month and must have 400km. as much, so don´t think it must to be changed again, do you??

10. ianplymouth

I wouldn't, as long as it goes back on the same way and not reversed.

11. That is, not even have intention to get out completely, only loosen up the tensioner and the two pulleys, change the intake one carefully and fit back again. One hour as much!!:tonguewink:

12. ianplymouth

exactly what i would do, but i changed my dephaser pulley the same time as the belt and engine rebuild :laughing::laughing:

13. Well man, pulley changed! But I must to warn about a little but important detail. The new pulley COMES UNBLOCKING, I mean, is not in "normal mode". When I fit all and turn the crankshaft to check that all are OK, I noticed the dephaser pulley turns BUT NOT THE CAMSHAFT, so when I finish to turn the crankshaft two times, the intake camshaft was out of point! So, I had to loosen up again the pulleys bolts and get in point again. This time I turn to right and left side to check the pulley and camshaft turns at time.
    I hope to be understable, because I think this is important to the correct fitting, if I don´t noticed that, maybe valves and piston can hit. BE CAREFUL WITH THE DAMN PULLEY!

14. ianplymouth

that was close mate, good job you checked with two complete turns, did you do another 2 turns after the adjustment :laughing::laughing:

15. Yes master! I´d check again and this time all correct. But anyway, I was a little afraid when start the engine!!:sweatsmile::sweatsmile:

16. ianplymouth

i know how you feel, i normally turn the engine over a dozen times or more before i press the start button, i have left the crank pin in before, found it wouldn't turn by hand :rage:

17. I had that on mine! Had to have it all opened up and re-timed ‍♂️

18. This afternoon had a moment in the garage and stripped the pulley, very curious how it works!!
    In this pic, the cam would be in "dephased mode". The new one comes in this mode, so be carefull.
    IMG_0504.JPG

And like that, is in "normal mode". It need to fit that mode for be timed correctly. You need to hear a little "click" when it move to "normal mode", I mean, whith the pulley in your hands:sweatsmile::sweatsmile:
    IMG_0503.JPG

Shame I don´t know how to up a video, me and technology are bad!

Attached Files:

ianplymouth likes this.
  19. ianplymouth

Manu, you need to get a Youtube account,or such like, then you can upload your video's to there and then post a link to that video

manugtt likes this.
  20. Ok, maybe I try next time. Don´t have a Youtube account really, and don´t like to open accounts anywhere, to be honest. But is true that´s good for this case, where I would like you see how the pulley moves and for what are holes, seals, etc...much easier than a v-tech system. At least, this is interesting to me!:grin::grin: