Swivel bearing/Refitting hub carrier to hub - spacer tips?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by chappers2000, Aug 21, 2022.

1. Having trouble trying to fit my R26 hub back into the hub carrier.
    Does the swivel bearing seal need to be flush with the bottom of the hub and the middle bit (bearing insert) proud or should the swivel bearing be further in mm so that the bearing insert be flush with the bottom of the hub?
    Also, how does the stainless metal short tube go in. Do you have to tap this all the easy through from the bottom so it seats in the swivel bearing once the hub and carrier are together? Seems a very tight fit in the hub carrier to knock through, or knock down?
    This is the last bit before things start going back on the car. Any tips?
    thanks

2. The oil seal and the insert should be flush to the bottom of the hub if you put the cup bearings in to the right depth. The steel sleeves should be flush to the carrier face that meets the hub. Wind the bolt in to press the sleeve into the insert, about 2-3 mm. There used to be a guide on here somewhere which was quite detailed

3. I’ve tapped the swivel bearing in a bit more so all good there now I think. The hub and carrier mate fine but still not sure what is the best way to get the metal inert in so it is eventually seated in the swivel bearing middle bit and the hub carrier?

4. Ok, so the insert must be in the hub carrier and it will pull into the Beas ring with the bolt. That what I thought. Just seems excessively tight to get the insert into the hub carrier but will keep trying.
    Thanks.

5. You can either use the bolt and a couple of washers as a spacer to press it in or get a socket of the exact same size as the sleeve and tap it home. It’s only a few mm anyway. If you go too mad, you’ll start knocking the cup bearing upwards if you get what I mean?

6. They are tight mate, usually find they’re slightly corroded. I clean mine up with some 1200 wet and dry and some oil first if need be.