Swapping an R26 for a Clio 182 Trophy?

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Yorkshire_LY, Oct 22, 2019.

1. I have an R26 but its something that im thinking about - has anyone done it? Pros/Cons of each car - would i regret it hehe?

2. Both are great cars. Ideal to have both.

I came from a 3 year old trophy to a 9 month old r26 lux. I then put an rs tuning map in r26.

Kept r26 for 4 years. One of the best all round cars I have ever had.

If you have never had a 182 perhaps scratch that itch. You can always come back to a 250,265 or 275. Renault never made anything like the 182 again. 197 and 200 were not the same as a 182.

The front dampers are obviously needing to be fresh. I had to have mine done.

Another option would be get a normal 182 with cup packs and keep the r26?

3. Trophy pretty steady on value. So you get a nice one with shockx and cambelt done you should be able to get in and out without looking much.

Also some of them the plastic bits are going pink.

There are some cracking 172 cups around at moment. They were almost as special due to lightness. Thinner glass etc

4. Cheers, i had a normal 182 for 9 years,so thats why im looking for something special in a Trophy. Just something im not sure about as i really like the R26 ive had for 2 years. But with me having a short commute to work and country lanes about maybe an NA light hot hatch might be a better option. The R26 (remap to 265bhp) is so capable you never really drive it how it should be hehe.

5. You are right you tend to lean on the torque. Drive it like a diesel and don't rev out.

Clearly if you r26 is yellow its a keeper.

Most cars don't get put temperature on the oil for 4 to 5 miles....... Maybe you need to take the long way home!

6. Deepens on how good a driver you are. We had a 182 with both cup packs at the same time as a trophy.

182 is a great car. Trophy is probably a little better.

The values differential is not a true reflection. The trophy is not twice the car the same 182 is.

7. Oh yeah i know that,its just a bit more rare and 'special' if you know what i mean. I like the limited edition stuff like the R26s are.

8. I am a sucker for the Ltd edition thing too. Had a p1 and a 309 gti goodwood back in the day.

But some cars are just rare with specific engines. I had a 330i touring with a manual gearbox. I think there were just 10 of those built. Last of the 3 series with an n.a. engine. About 2 came up a year in the uk. When I changed it to an m3 there were hundreds for sale.

Even the cup-s I have I think renault sold 100. Which is rarer than an r26r.

There is a nice but expensive 182 in liquid yellow been for sale over the last 6 months. Thaf about mid trophy money but much rarer.

9. I had an R26R, sold, as I was putting too many miles on it, then R26, running 276bhp, now Meglio, and I much prefer the Clio. I can't compare directly, as Engine/Suspension etc., all different. Everyone was against me buying the Clio, and at first, they were right, lots of blood sweat, tears, more blood, to get it to where it is today, but now its all fixed, its a brilliant car, so my vote is the Clio.

10. When you say you like the clio. Is that your one with a meg engine or a more regular variety?

11. You’re more than welcome to have a chat/cup of tea/run out in my Trophy mate - I’m near Sheffield.

Yorkshire_LY likes this.
  12. Its the Meg Engine, but I did try the STD. version a while back, and it was a great car.

13. Feirny

Feirny RSM Admin

I've had 2 of each, and I love the Trophy more than oxygen. I wouldn't have another Trophy if I had a longer commute, but other than that it would be a 3rd Trophy any day.

I'm secretly saving for another Trophy.

Davedrums, Mossyv6 and NotaDiesel!!! like this.
  14. hsustyle

hsustyle RSM Club Member

I've had plenty of 172s and 182 but never a Trophy.
    Currently have a lightly modded r26 but would swap for a Trophy in a heartbeat. I miss revs and the the eagerness.
    The Meg is more composed and easier to drive fast but those 172/182 are a more fun car to drive.