250 Superchip before and after remap graphs

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Crombe76, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Hi, went and tested out the before and after remapping and include the graphs below.

Slightly annoyed my stock isn't a little higher but with the map I certainly get more torque and urgency in acceleration and a 13.8% increase in bhp.

Overall I'm happy with it but am sure that with an RS tune it would deliver better results but it'll do me just fine for now.

No air to fuel measured as the sensor rod wouldn't go in far enough due to the rear section turn, shame as that would of been helpful.

Before

ysehysad.jpg

After

y7anebyr.jpg

2. Red lines before, blue after

3. I thought most 250s did that standard or there abouts

4. How reliable was the Dyno, on RS-tunings Dyno my 250 made 275bhp stock and 315bhp with stage 1 map.

5. Thought it to be very reliable they seemed to do a lot of cars, a lot more powerful than my own. Did notice that the limiter kicked in early on the chart and thought it should be higher, I know you can change the beeps but don't think you can move the cut out. Maybe my cars knackered

6. Does seem a little low on both counts! Mine was 262bhp before and 308 after!

7. With a superchip lads or RS Tuning?

8. I thought the mk3s easy made 300 bhp on stg 1?

9. Guess mines broke

10. Im not certain ghough i just thought id heard that maybe worth getting it on a clip or maybe spmeone who actually knows can advise you

11. Seems to go like stin and was with Renault for a full service, pulley tensioner etc a few weeks back plus new cam and aux belts so not sure anything is really wrong with it but is odd that stock is low given we all know that it at stock more often than not is at least 260 at worse, also remap offers near 300 and nowhere near that either, let's hope the rolling road is off.

12. Going to give RS a ring tmrw and see what they think just seems low all around on the numbers. In the car it performs extremely well so either the rolling road is understating the performance or I've got an issue and I'll get another load of bhp which would be superb

13. Mines with RSTuning mate, powers not everything of course but it would help with piece of mind to get it on their rollers

14. Mines with RS-Tuning mate but even Superchips normally make more than that, just out of interest when is the last time you changed the spark plugs.

15. 300 miles ago, did them with the pulley tensioner rattle problem, all belts changed also. Oil done 1k ago. Mid box chop and bmc filter last 3 weeks

16. Did you see the service report as plug change isn't part of the standard service, Renault only change them at 36,000 mile intervals which is a bit of a no-no in my opinion.

When I had mine mapped the first thing Paul at RS-Tuning asked was how new the plugs were as they can be a problem, if they were definitely changed during the service then they can be ruled out.

If it feels really strong and pulls like a train then my money would be on inaccurate dyno figures.

Hope you get sorted mate.

17. 1st map was fine, asked suoerchips for smoother transtion at 2-3k revs in 5-6 gear as it felt like a mini flat spot. 2nd map put error message up check ignition and put into limp mode on M3. Reset to standard when engine had cooled as car won't allow ecu changes until engine cools. Installed 1st map again. No other problems to note. 0-60 6 seconds I'd estimate. Nowt noticeable in terms or a drop in performance. Will see if I can get a RS slot this week as starting a new job next week so no hols for months. Was hoping for a cheap map but I want more for £359.99 really and for a bit more and a day trip I can get it locked over and tuned at stock first and see if there's another fault like a shitty injector etc

18. I requested them to be changed and was billed separately from the cam work. Earlier than servi e schedule as not tech due for another 1.5k but was there for a day so bit the bullet. No belt change for me at 72.5k now 105k as I had it all replaced under warranty

19. Will keep you updated as to how it goes for the gain blue fin will be going back tmrw regardless as low stock is more of an issue potentially and a trip to Leeds would be ok if it can be this week, I'll see if Paul can slot me in

20. Paul is a genius with these things mate, he'll make sure its right for you.

Best of luck.

21. Cheers mate

22. Although it does look a little low I wouldn't get too hung up on BHP figures and the likes. As long as it's fast enough to put a smile on your face then the forum willy waving doesn't really matter.

23. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Agree with this, But the fact it's only a 30odd bhp gain with the map raises suspicions when the majority of others see gains of almost twice that

24. Agreed lads not fussed about hitting a particular number post map but in comparison to other maps and gains and also a low stock amount which needs looking into as it may well be that something else is a miss and I'd rather it be looked at now than go bang another day, this may be a blessing in disguise Jamie. Agree Ben it make a me smile just went out and gave it a blast to see in stock if it did anything odd, it didn't at all but as I'm off may as well see if RS can slot me in anyways.

25. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

TBH your engine might not just be as strong as the majority

26. main things that stand out for me

1. peak power is circa 6000rpm, limiter is about 6500 yours hits at 5500, why? (question for rst/renault)
    2. your standard torque curve should be flat 3000-5500 at about 265lb (est) your's peaks and then drops off early - actuator? (another question for paul)

27. anybody thought the dyno could just be reading low ? ( I know , the shock / horror ) a low reading dyno!

If for arguments sake you added 25bhp onto both sides ( to roughly represent what the engines normally put out ) the figures seem to add up.

I would get it on another dyno TBH.

28. So other than the OP's graphs are there other before/after graphs of a Superchips map for comparison? Putting the low readings aside what matters is that the Dyno states a 33bhp gain, do we have others for comparison?

29. Had a chat with Paul at RS Tuning and he questioned the dyno graph reading as my car will rev out at 6500 or thereabouts revs not as early as graphed. I'm with him at 9.30am this Friday so a very early start but should be worth it. Getting a Forge dump valve delivered Thursday and he said he'd fit that whilst I was there too. He has seen RS250's stock bhp as low as mine but did say they tend to be higher than that.

Paul has seen suoerchips maps at 300bhp but they tend to knock and run lean in his experience.

I'll update you all on Friday pm with the latest progress.

30. Can you try and get him to print off the AFR print out for you too for before and after?

31. I'll ask him

32. At least you will know its right then

33. That is true

34. I've noticed on my r26 that until the car is warmed up the limiter is lower and power seems down a little bit, could be the same on the 250

35. Yeah looks like the cold start limiter was kicking in, maybe thats a reason for the low standard bhp

36. Common fault on the early 197s when the cylinder head temp sensor would play up and knock back power and rpm limit.

37. Did read that myself re a cold sensor, the engine was warm and had been driven 23 miles there and had the mapped version then I reset to standard and brought up to to temp on both occasions. The car went to the limiter at approx 6.5k so I think that the dyno and calibration pre dyno was off as it certainly didn't cut out at 5.5k ish for sure. Paul at RS thought the same thing. Time will tell but cheers for the thoughts guys

38. As promised the before and after the first run was with seemingly some reminants of the superchip map and air to fuel ratio screwed. 2nd run was with the ecu reset to factory although fuel needed to be reset manually, that the got it to 277 and Paul tweaked it from there to get the air fuel combination right and we topped at 305bhp. There were 308 and 306 but he tuned it down a little to run better in his experience.

Fantastic to drive, MPG 32 so pretty much the same as before really. Torque is immense and seems ready to go at anytime even at 5th/6th. Forge valve sounds great too and got that fitted whilst Paul had to go to the hospital as they've just had their first child.

Would recommend RS Tuning and the map is a lot more powerful and responsive than the superchips and feels as I said ready to go whereas the suoerchips was a bit laggy in 5-6th.

39. 2nd post fuel tweak and then fine tuned by Paul a few times.

paneju7y.jpg