265 Sudden loss of clutch, biting point close to floor (Megane III 265)

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by lewish, Sep 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hey guys,

Just got in my 265 ready to drive this morning and the biting point is very close to the floor, couldn't get it into gear on the first two attempts. After a few pumps on the pedal the biting point has lifted a little and will go into gear but I'm reluctant to drive it. There hasn't really been any gradual noticeable change. Engine has done about 40k.

I've read a few threads (like this one - http://rsmegane.com/threads/help-no-clutch.15949/) and the suggestions seem to be:
    1. Failed slave cylinder
    2. Issue with the pipe to the slave
    3. Issue with the clutch pedal spring
    ...and if it is a failed slave cylinder, the advice is to replace the clutch and flywheel as it's a labour intensive job so it's cost effective to do so. Does that all sound about right?

Does anyone know of anywhere reliable that I can get it investigated in Yorkshire? I'm between York and Leeds. Will investigation be a quick check for leaks and damaged pipes / springs and if there's nothing visible it's time to get the box off? Just want to be aware of what I'm getting into, sounds like it can go from 0 to £1000 pretty damn quick.

Cheers,
    Lewis

2. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

More than likely the sls e cylinder has failed im afraid. You could just change it but it makes sense to to the clutch at the same time the box is off.

Cost wise your looking at 600+ for it unfortunately

3. Mine was exactly the same mate, Jamie is spot on change the lot while you have it apart.

4. Cheers guys.

I've only just had my first quote back for the work;
    • Clutch Kit - £251.99+VAT
    • Slave Cylinder - £122.08+VAT
    • Flywheel (exchange) - £355.50+VAT
    • Labour (approx.) 8 hour - £400+VAT
    By my reckoning that's £1356 inc. VAT.

Does that sound about right?

I've found the parts cheaper on Kam Racing;
    • Clutch Kit (Renault OE) - £150.46 inc. VAT
    • Slave Cylinder (Renault OE) - £127.02 inc. VAT
    • Flywheel (TTV) - £435.84 inc. VAT
    With the labour that'd take the cost to £1122 inc VAT.

Also, it's worth noting at this point that the clutch has felt perfectly solid. No knocking, no slipping, nothing. Don't really want to replace anything that doesn't need to be at this point - I've got the timing belt replacement coming up in a few months.

5. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Avoid the TTF flywheel if it's the smf, terrible things on the MK3.

6. And be careful, renault do an exhanged refurbed clutch kit, bit from what ive been told have issues with the clutch not lasting, mines currently in at the moment having this all done.

7. I've recently had the same problem.
    Start with the cheaper options first.
    With mine I ended up having to have a complete new clutch system.
    After the mechanic renewing the clutch, DMFW and concentric slave cylinder the problem still existed, then the clutch slave cylinder was done.
    Still the problem still existed, before striping everything out again it was disconnect The pipe below was found to be leaking

20180523_205738.jpg

So start with the cheapest options first

8. Couldn't tell from the product description, just said it's 'a replacement for the OE Renault DMF flywheel' but I'll avoid it and stick with the OE Renault flywheel, cheers.

Yeah, good shout. When I noticed the word 'exchanged' I was a bit concerned. I'd rather just pay the extra £100 for a brand new one.

Very good point. Definitely don't wanna end up down that road yet if it's not necessary. Is that the pipe from the clutch pedal to the slave cylinder? Did you check the fluid level before the pipe was found to be leaking? Mine is pretty much at max, albeit looking like it needs changing pretty soon.

IMG_1474.JPG IMG_8152.JPG

9. Yes we did check the level.
    The pipe is from the clutch to the concentric slave cylinder..
    The leak was only spotted by my mechanic just as he about to strip the gearbox out for the second time.
    He noticed that the paint was peeling on the anti roll bar below the slightly leaking round valve thing. It is not visible from above as it's underneath the battery. It's was noticeable from below when my car was in the air on a four post lift with the undertray removed.
    Surprisingly the pipe was a stock item at the local Renault parts dept. which could indicate it's a common fault??
    Hope this helps.

10. I’ll definitely bear that in mind and have that checked first. What was your fluid level when you checked?

11. The level was slightly low, as its such a small amount in the hydraulic system a small lose can affect things.