Stu's 250 track hack..

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by StuOwen86, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Well I've had the car about 14 months now although it's being parked up since October last year due to work getting done then my dad shattering his foot last month (we share the car) so I pushed on and ended up doing some lightening of the bodywork that was planned for later in the year lol..

Started off buying a cheap 250 cup (with Recaro's and RS monitor etc) it's a 59 plate with 107k miles on it and pulls well with no issues (Had Full history and belts done about 18 months before I bought it) I wanted a cheap car as I was going to bin, replace or upgrade most stuff and eventually have it in the plans to forge the engine.. So I did a few track days as it was with standard diff and seats managed a ring trip then once back the stripping began, sold off the seats and got started

Current Spec : (15/04/18)

Nitron R1R Coilovers, Full weld in cage, Fiberglass doors, Gripper diff, De-Cat/Mapped, DS1.11 Pads/Brembo discs, Yokohama A048 Tyres on standard Cup wheels, 2 x Cobra Suzuka Pro-fit GT width seats, Sabelt 330mm Steering wheel

Planned work this year :

Polycarbonate windows, upgrade engine/gearbox mounts and bushes, ARB's front/rear, Turbo back exhaust, Intercooler/Turbo cooler, EFI Remap, Team Dynamics wheels 18x9" (slicks and wets), Corner weighted and setup again, Lightweight battery, maybe a CAE Shifter

Work I hope to have done eventually is : Forge engine, Hybrid/Upgraded turbo, More power lol

I've uploaded most of the pictures I have so far... I do have plans for a livery to be painted/wrapped on the car but I'm yet to decide what colour scheme.

Thanks

Stu

Pre Strip 4.jpg Pre Strip 5.jpg Pre-Strip 1.jpg Pre Strip 2.jpg Pre Strip 3.jpg Stripping 1.jpg Stripping 3.jpg Stripping.jpg Cage 4.jpg Cage 5.jpg Cage 6.jpg Cage 8.jpg Cage 9.jpg Cage 1.jpg Cage 2.jpg Cage 3.jpg Doors.jpg Nitron 1.jpg Nitron 2.jpg Nitron 3.jpg Seats.jpg

Beau, RossoCS, trickmansa and 2 others like this.
  2. Nice! Who did the cage in it? I'd love to do a proper 250 build like this.

3. Thanks, It was done by a guy on the Wirral called Gary @ Crazy Cages he has a Facebook page

massivewangers likes this.
  4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

At last!

Welcome Stu!

5. Nice man, good spec!

6. Ah yes, I know of Gary from my days in the Ford world. Seems to know his stuff!

7. Also having the quick release on the wheel is a godsend lol the quaility is great too Quick release.jpg

EBA66 likes this.
  8. Well my bonnet will be on soon and it'll be off for paint.. excited now to get out on track ASAP

Thanks to Ally @ CCF

bonnet 2.jpg Bonnet.jpg

9. Been a long time since I posted lol , Had some bits done over 2020 and picked up the Meg just as the world went into lockdown lol I bought a Wagner Cooler, Had it mapped by Chris @ EFI and all the fluids done... Did my last big day at Spa in Nov 2019 Managed a day or two at Oulton last year then it was parked up pretty much most of 2020 and so far into 2021, But hoping to get some days once it calms down and spaces become available on track. Plus its sat on an battery optimate and an old set of wheels/tyres waiting to go get the cambelt done Lol.

Still never got the central locking sorted out as I think I need something out the metal doors as I can lock it but it just beeps and then unlocks itself, suppose it'll go on the to do list but I would really like some decent polycarb windows as I'm still running some plain old polycarb I cut and mounted pretty crap tbh, just never been able to justify the price of them lol, have they come down much since 2019

2019-11-12 14.57.27.jpg
    Meg Graph.jpg Spa 2019.jpg Team Dynamics.jpg

Beau, Conoboy and DOOOOK like this.
  10. I have debated on a few occassions if I should gut out the steel doors and make them as light as poss and put them back on so they're easier to close lol, or just reinforce the fiberglass ones and put some pull handles on them.

11. how do you find the gripper diff? any reason for changing?

12. I bought the box/gripper together because the price was OK and thought I wanted to try something different too the Quaife, I didnt drive the 250 with the standard box/diff in if i remember right I swapped it all out before the 1st track day I did with it so I cant say I have much exp with the standard 250 diff and the gripper but I never really find I have any issue with wheel spin or drive out of corners, only thing is its a little noisy in the car park if you need to do a tight turn. Probably didn't need it lol but if I dont spend it 1st my wife or one of my 3 daughters will so... thats my excuse for buying stuff I dont need lol.

Rensport225, Beau and manugtt like this.