Strange sound on boost

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by john.r26, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Hi, I have noticed that when I accelerate when the turbo boosts it has a sort of scream as well as the normal exhaust note. I have checked the pipe work at the top and all seems ok. It standard with a stage 1 map

Confused on this one,

2. There will be a whistle on part throttle which is completely normal, but a proper squeal may be the turbo on its way out?

3. It's a strange sound, the car only has 23500 miles, hope it's not the turbo. It's been on the code reader and nothing shows up

4. Markblack@MRS

Markblack@MRS RSM Trader

Turbo
    Mine had a loud whine when coming on boost so changed for a hybrid and it went away, I'm working on a car at the mo and have to break the news to the owner tomorrow after spending just under £900

5. Mine whistles loud on boost does this mean the turbo is going?

6. Hi Mark,

Is that price for the turbo including fitting? I have a stage 1 map from engine dynamics, how would that affect the install or would you remap it

Thanks, John

7. Yes mine also whistles quite loud!

8. I have a standard turbo for sale if anyones stuck, slight cracking in the turbine housing but in good working order :smile:

9. Markblack@MRS

Markblack@MRS RSM Trader

Oh dear! Sounds like a few people are ready for turbos
    Best clear the market of second hand ones and have them rebuilt

10. I will be going the hybrid way for reliability I think

11. Mine has a K&N panel filter and makes a bit of a whoosh at full chat, which I assume is normal? Bit like breathing in through your teeth.

12. I can only hear mine if the windows are wound down though its not a whining noise?

13. Yep mines a loud whistle when windows are down at full chat but not very loud from in the car

14. Thats just the turbo whistle all rs make then surely?

15. ^^thats what I thought... and is also one of the things I like about the meg the most, if you dont like it get the mid section of your exhaust chopped out and the noise wil go!

16. Hi, just an update about the sound. I replaced the recirculation valve with a forge recirc and that's fixed it.

17. Markblack@MRS

Markblack@MRS RSM Trader

That's for some other work he's had done!
    And you would need a map afterwards