Strange mot fail, headlight adjustment motor missing lol

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by Lee Robertson, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Failed mot on one headlight being too high, guy was going to adjust it and the levelling motor is missing!
    Looking at pics online of the motors how in the hell do they attach to the headlight casing? I handily have a brand new headlight 'off' the car and can't see any mounting lugs/screw bolt holes?.
    It's just so i know for a) taking one off at the scrap yard and b) fitting it to mine. Thanks.

2. They push in and a eighth of a turn or less :laughing:

3. Thanks, comparing complete motor assemblies for sale(they have the white rod with the ball at the end) , and what the new headlight looks like below they just didn't match up.
    What you say explains it, 'half' of the motor assembly is already in the headlight in my pic! , this part turns and comes out like you said, thanks.

Attached Files:

4. No problem mate :laughing::laughing:

5. Well that's one half of the system fixed, took it back for retest and he said it's still missing? What is?? turns out the tilt sensor is missing off the wishbone! Didn't know about this as it's never been there!
    Isn't there a manual way still to adjust the headlights like you usually do?

6. on the standard headlights there is an adjuster, its not you would expect, its adjusted from the top, a hole in the slam panel.

My Espace has or did have self levelling headlights, there is an adjuster there as well so i assume yours will be the same, its a 6mm Alan key you need

7. Yes i've seen that adjuster, it's for height adjustment. Don't know why he didn't just tweak it for me while checking the lights, like he usually does. Just seemed deadset on not letting this go because of the self levelling not working.

8. Yes it is, best do it when its dark so you can see the movement, it turns lots think its around 10 turns from one to the other

9. Do you have HID/XENONS or standard halogen?

10. i have halogens in the megane but xenon's in the espace

11. Well i know this self levelling system is designed for an Xenon setup, but there is quite a lot of extra wiring/little black boxes etc at the headlights so different bulbs of some type seem to have been fitted at some point.
    I'm kind of pissed an mot station passed it last year in this state, but hey ho.Had to get the tilt sensor from Germany of all places, a used part, nobody breaking 225, s in theUk had one fitted!!
    Makes me wonder how they all got through mots! :-)

12. I was getting the impression that this self levelling nonsense was just an option, or standard on the 225, s?
    Based on 15 normal Meganes i've looked at in scrapyards not having the self levelling, and interestingly 8 people breaking 225, s on Ebay don't have it on the car? But don't know if these have just been sold already, or they aren't fitted with it ofcourse.

13. Just had a thought, if my car came without xenons, and by the looks of it Renault didn't fit the wiring etc at the lights!, would i then getaway with the self levelling being missing?