R26 strange leaky bolt

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by denbers, Apr 2, 2014.

1. 20140402_171122.jpg

anyone know why this bolt behind the first coilpack is slightly leaking oil? needing a new screw? quite confused.:confused:

cheers

2. 20140402_171142.jpg

another pic

3. Common fault, one of mine did this. Think it all depends on how well screwed together your engine came off the production line!

Its either rocker cover off to fix properly or you can just loosen the bolt put some silicone around the thread then re tighten that's what i did and its been fine since.

IIRC it should be torqued to 8nm (i didn't bother torquing it, just did what felt right, but be careful as its quite easy to strip the thread)

4. I shouldn't remove the rocker cover, it holds the cams down and would probably slip your belt off or at the least throw the timing off!

Very common on the mk2 clios, I used to take the bolt out and run some sealant under the head, works a treat.

5. I got the same leak, damn

6. cheers guys i shall loosen it and sling some sealant around the head. bit of a strange thing to happen like

7. I have this also, has anyone that tried the sealant been happy with the repair, and has it stayed repaired?

thanks

8. mine was the same.. clean away as much oil as you can before applying sealant or it won't seal for long. I've done a few on mine, one didn't seal properly as I didn't get rid of all the oil 1st.

9. That one bolt that the first poster, posted a picture of. How do you get to it to loosen it. The clearance to get a socket to it is hard. The engine cover pin is right above it connected to a metal piece.

also, is it best to just loosen a bit rather than just take out completely