Strange engine noise

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Forceindia, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Car (r26) has been making this weird noise intermittently for a couple of weeks, and ideas?
    R26 noise: http://youtu.be/2VXvKvR5yXo

2. I've not got a clue there mate but to me it sounds like water chugging through something

hope you get to find out what it is tho

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  3. sound's bit knackered bearing, be inclined to check drive belt tensioner wheel bearing and alternator...only guessing though

4. faulty water pump? just guessin as its a very prominent water sloshing noise.

5. Ah thats what a ment to say just couldn't find the words lol

6. Does it stop if you turn off the air con? Could be the condenser line for the air con that's blocked.

7. Not related to ac, more prominent when hot.

8. Does the noise change with RPM?

9. Difficult to say, it's not that loud so as soon as you apply some throttle the general engine noise rapidly takes over.

10. has the water pump been done? id still question that tbh as it in that area and does sound like a fluid

11. Markblack@MRS

Markblack@MRS RSM Trader

Sounds like a pulley of some sort to me

12. The only thing that's making me question the water pump is the fact it's normally bearings that go and are not really intermittent, and if it was the impelor that had failed I would have thought you would have got overheating and maybe some water loss through the gland on the shaft due to it being out of balance.

Where are you located mate?

13. Way down south. I'll try and get up to Fred @Btm during the week.

14. Ah ok mate was going to say if you we're not to far away I would take a look.

15. Thanks for the offer mate

16. No problem mate, keep us updated please, interested to know what it is now

17. Did you find out what this was? I've just bought an R26 and done 300 miles and today its making the same noise coming from the back left of the engine. Seems to increase with engine speed but gets drowned out over 2000rpm.

The Cambelt, aux belt and waterpump were all replaced in February and since its done 6000 miles. Early failure?

Ben

18. Did you get sorted benner/forceindia?

19. Have been told by a Garage that it is the cambelt being too tight. Nothing to worry about and it should slacken. The one on my car was done early this year.

20. Ah! Thanks for that mate.