STOP BRAKING SYSTEM FAULT

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Sean_192, May 28, 2020.

1. Hi,

Not sure if posting in the right section but...

Keep getting this light come on very intermittent and 9/10 times it's only on for the duration of the beeps and then goes off again.

I went to my mechanic the other day and fortunately on this occasion it stayed on just before I got there. He used 3 different scanners and all came back with no fault coded even whilst it was present and nothing of the sort in the history either.

It doesn't really have a pattern and doesn't necessarily come on under braking, has even come on whilst accelerating on the motorway.

With nothing reporting back on the scanners its left me at wits end to what it can be to be honest. I've ordered a new clutch and brake switch to try these as it appears maybe something on the electrical side that's not registering to the ECU or onboard computer just purely flashing up on the dash.

Anyone had anything similar or ideas as to what this could be?

Thanks in advance.

Sean

Attached Files:

2. I had this recently. Check the brake fluid level as this warning comes on when the level drops. Mine was the common leaking clutch pipe damper on the nearside inner wing. Replaced it with a HEL stainless damper delete line now its all good. Worth checking you've no leaks before throwing money at sensors that dont seem to be common failures on these cars that ive heard of. Mine seemed to do it when i went down a steep hill near to me. And would go off as it smoothed out.

Sean_192 likes this.
  3. As said above check fluid level first

Sean_192 likes this.
  4. fluid level main culprit possibly also Sean_192 could update would be good

Sean_192 likes this.
  5. I have topped up fluid this morning. Went out today for a bit and light has not come back on.

Still waiting for HEL replacement clutch damper line to turn up as going to replace the stock one anyway. When I do this I'll let you guys know if any signs of a leak down there :-)

bobsan likes this.
  6. could be a leak or just pads wearing out which will make the piston come out more in the caliper therefore fluid level will go down as a result.

7. Good logic but unlikely as piston movement is tiny and allows v little fluid drop, once have look at the resonator on clutch line under battery all will be revealed

8. It does happen as mine did it, and the damper wasnt leaking, topped up and was fine after.

9. I know this is an old post but I had this issue in my meg 250. It came up as brake switch fault on the computer. This is situated under the glove box in passenger footwell. I changed it but the fault still came back. There is another switch for the clutch similar to the brake switch. Changed that and not come back on since. Both were about 10-15£ each and just screwed out. You can also adjust it depending on how much you push it in when you twist it. It locks when you twist.
    Also in a side note couple months after this issue while the mechanic changed my timing and auxiliary belts said a clutch pipe had a leak. Said it was common problem with the diaphragm or something and the newer part is modified. Sorted that too.
    Want all boxes ticked before N’ring trip.