STOP BRAKING SYSTEM FAULT

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Sean_192, May 28, 2020.

1. Hi,

Not sure if posting in the right section but...

Keep getting this light come on very intermittent and 9/10 times it's only on for the duration of the beeps and then goes off again.

I went to my mechanic the other day and fortunately on this occasion it stayed on just before I got there. He used 3 different scanners and all came back with no fault coded even whilst it was present and nothing of the sort in the history either.

It doesn't really have a pattern and doesn't necessarily come on under braking, has even come on whilst accelerating on the motorway.

With nothing reporting back on the scanners its left me at wits end to what it can be to be honest. I've ordered a new clutch and brake switch to try these as it appears maybe something on the electrical side that's not registering to the ECU or onboard computer just purely flashing up on the dash.

Anyone had anything similar or ideas as to what this could be?

Thanks in advance.

Sean

Attached Files:

2. Top up brake fluid

Sean_192 likes this.
  3. Hi mate, Its not on max but far from being on minimum but I will top up to max and see how we go.

Cheers

Attached Files:

4. Dont forget, brakes and clutch use the same resevoir, brakes wear, level drops, and warning works of fluid level, quite common on here including meself.

Sean_192 likes this.
  5. that well lo enough cause light to come on while driving/cornering etc

Sean_192 likes this.
  6. Cheers guy. Bottle of motel rbf660 on it's way so will top up and update the thread

7. Is that whats already in there?

Sean_192 likes this.
  8. Yeah

9. I had a similar problem,
    It turned out to be corrosion from the disc on the rear brake sensor..

Sean_192 likes this.
  10. Cheers I will bare in mind.

Mine defo seems to be pointing to fluid as I've noticed today if I park on a slope, the light comes on and stays on then when I roll off to flat ground, it clears.

Brake fluid should be here Monday so we shall see :-)

11. I'd put VERY good money on your clutch damper leaking - it's sites under the battery tray

Sean_192 likes this.
  12. Interesting! Got a couple things to try/look at now.

Going to top up brake fluid this week when it arrives so will have a look at the clutch damper whilst under the bonnet . Cheers

13. Just change the clutch pipe anyway, it will fail at some point in the future, Hel do one and i'm sure others will as well

Sean_192 likes this.
  14. Yeah I found a thread on here after 197gaz comment and see that it's a common fault.

I've ordered a nice shiny yellow one from HEL lol :-)

Cheers guys

ianplymouth likes this.
  15. its easy to change, just got to get the battery and tray out

16. while its all apart, it would be a good time to do the short shift mod if you don't have it yet :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Sean_192 likes this.
  17. Haha I dont have it yet! What does this involve?

18. Agree good time fit short-shift but would deffo fit nut with Loctite as opposed to drill&tap

19. Hi there,

Did anything fix it ?

I purchased a car from a garage and it has this fault the guy is refusing to take it back and I’m having to go through courts, I love the car but this braking system fault is driving me up the wall.... if I could fix it I’d happily keep it... so please god tell me you’ve fixed your issue and what you did to do it

Sean_192 likes this.
  20. Hi,

Yeah it was a simple fix - literally topped up the brake fluid and was good ever since, but have sold the car recently. I also uprated the clutch damper line to a HEL one as mentioned by someone above.

Hope this helps and sorts it