250 Sticky 1st gear

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by glenn, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Sometimes 1st locks me out and others it's fine..when it doesn't go in I just pump the clutch and then it's fine but was wondering if anyone else has the same problem

2. I have this problem with 4th sometimes, it can be a bitch to get in. Dont know if its my sloppy gear change or just a trait of the box.

3. Same here. But its always been like this and its very rare (we are talking a handful of times per month). It only ever seems to be 1st.

4. Have the same issue from cold a bitch to get First gear but once driven for a couple of min it's ok. Found it easier to select second and then first goes in easy but only happens when car has stood all night.

5. I had the same problems with the box getting sticky at truck days and mornings, I changed the gearbox oil to Fuchs Sintofluid sae 75w80 synthetic, this was the one Opie oils said to use. its for my mk3 rs250 cup with lsd. hope this helps

6. I sometimes have the same problem, and like Pipps, I've found sticking it in second then trying first works.

I've had it stick once going into reverse. It happened when I was parked on a hill, trying to reverse uphill, and it took 5 or 6 attempts to get in.

7. I got the same. It may be trait of Megane RS.

8. Yeah its sounding that way.. Thanks for all the replys

9. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Mine never doesnt go in gear but it is extremely notchy when cold

10. I had the same problem with mine, it was quite bad when cold and even warm some gear changes felt notchy so I took it to renault and the bad news was it needed a new gearbox (quite common like the clio apparently) the good news was it was two weeks before my warranty ran out.
    I hope this isn't a common problem because a new gearbox at 45k isn't good!

11. Seems a bit drastic for a notchy gear change! Did they say why the gearbox needed replacing, was there metal present in the oil?

12. They said the gearbox had failed internally and they had to take photos to send to renault so that they would replace the whole unit.
    I thought I better take it in seeing as the warranty was running out and it didn't feel right.
    This was literally just a notchy gearbox nothing more, the customer service department said they had had quite a few megane rs in for the same issue.

13. thats worrying then because my gear box is very notchy from 1st to 2nd when cold and a bit better when warm??(r26) No warranty tho :/