Steven878's r26 build thread

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by Steven878, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Hybrid that Paul is using does work really really well.I would say that part of the sucess is probably in the trimed exhaust wheel.

2. Mine was trimmed and also the HL wheel
    [​IMG]

3. Hmm strange.Maybe your compressor wheel is to big for the hot side.Who knows

4. Compressor wheel looks a bit different
    [​IMG]

5. Yes it does.Look nice tought :smile:
    If you rework your turbo and still don't make 350 than I would say the cams are the "problem".

6. There are many "hybrid" specs out there.

The standard td04 15t can flow 325bhp apparently.

7. I don't understand how the camshafts can be wrong. If the lift and duration is a lot more than standard then surely I should be getting a lot more air into the cylinder, then the flow capability of the hybrid turbo will further increase cylinder volume (low compression Pistons aswell) and therefor allow me to use more fuel, producing more power?
    My inlet cam still needs adjusted, but I can't see it dropping me 30bhp...

8. I can't work hybrids turbos out anymore. Lol
    i run a 20T cartridge (stamped on the plate in the last turbo pic) but for some reason another car with a very similar spec makes 35bhp more than mine??

9. Many variables. housing size , blade trim , blade numbers , materials used

regarding the cam , you might have too much lift or duration ..

10. Paul seems to have the right setup regarding hybrid, so need to send my hybrid to crturbos to be checked over and adjusted accordingly...
    Dont really think you can have too much, unless the pistons smashes the valves, then youve got too much. Lol
    My car has a definate power band compared to other hybrid meganes iv been in. My car at 3500-4000rpm starts to pull alot harder, so the cams must be responsible for this.

Surely it cant be this difficult to get 350bhp from a megane without fitting a gt30?

11. you can have too much overlap buddy. I think its to do with the scavenging effect on gasses and the pressure that the turbo is running on.

12. I would say more back pressure than overlap mate.
    We already know that the TD04 turbine housing is extremely restrictive and volvo owners with the same turbo can achieve 400bhp. So in theory iv created more exhaust gasses, stalling the turbocharger giving the car the noticeable power band?
    So i need a larger turbine housing, different cut back on the blades or a bigger turbo.

Dont know if that makes sense or is correct, but anyone feel free to correct my ignorance :smile:
    I need to sort this power issue!

Muxa likes this.
  13. You dont want back pressure in a turbo car, low duration inlet and lumpy outlet.

14. It wont be silly amounts more or i would have massive compressor surge on boost and i have very little to none. Also the one on fb with 350bhp has high lift cams so extra lift and duration must help to some extent.

Im going to have to bit the bullet and fit the standard turbo and send mine away to be checked.
    The cars not exactly slow, but i want the most from the hybrid setup, until i can use the car as a weekend toy and fit a bigger turbo.

15. I guess it might not need to be silly amounts dude. I dont know if you would have comp surge either.

What is the exact spec of the turbo ?

TD04 19t ? HL body ? Blades cut back ? 20t ?

16. It is not that easy Steven with cams.More lift and duration doesn't always mean more power.And it would not be the first time that catcams has done the faulty cams.
    Not saying that yours are faulty but if you don't get 350 from reworked turbo my bet are the cams.
    It could be number of thing on cams.To much overlap mean you are loosing boost throu cilinders etc. (over lap is a good thing on NA cars) and if I remember you du run the NA cams right?

17. I'm not sure what cams I run mate. I thought it was n/a cams but Paul said theyre his custom profile...
    I seriously hope the cams aren't faulty and i guess I would have no way of telling??

Me my cams work on a gt30 then surely the profile can't be loosing me boost pressure, unless the lobes are in the wrong place.

18. Its not just a case of a cam working on a general boosted application. Sometimes they work at one pressure but not another

19. Confused.com!!!

Guessing camshaft profile efficency is impossible to figure out. All I can do is adjust my inlet can timing, rework the turbo, change the plugs and hope Paul can work him magic, if not I'll have to be content with whatever figures i make, as removing the cams, sending them away, etc to be checked doesn't seem like a good idea.

20. the lift and duration can be measured. Its going to be fun though !

21. If Paul think that cams are ok.Then try to play with intake cam timing while you are on the dyno.It would also be nice if you have adjustable vernier pulleys that way you can fine tune the cams to your spec.

22. Hi Steven,

Where do you get those awesome carbon door handles?

23. I got the handles from caymanR26 on Ms.net. He had a spare set made at c6 carbon, so I bought them.

24. Thanks mate... so they are made to order :worried:

25. Yeah made to order as far as im aware. Might be better contacting c6 and asking the question mate.

26. Small update:

Bought this Clio steering wheel from Dave Taylor :smile:
    Just need to get time to fit it.
    [​IMG]

27. Will your small hands grip that ok? lol

28. My small hands have gripped fatter things than that in their time mate. Lol.
    The 197 wheel feels loads better than the standard r26 one.

Ill nip round to yours in the new year once iv fitted the suspension,etc

29. Enjoy the wheel mate. Sure it'll look ace on your megane :smile:

30. RSRacing

RSRacing RSM Trader

Try a 8cm turbine housing with EW and T25 entry. You will see nice gains with that in a TD04. Also can fit a bigger compressor wheel than 20T to reach more boost on top revs.
    1.7bar at 6800rpm is possible.

31. Coño Jorge, tuporaqui :smiley:

32. LOL!

That wheel looks laaaavly mate.

33. Proper project mate! i would think the hybrid would be able to make more tbh....

a regular td04hl-19t sees 350bhp in the Volvo world.....

34. Where do u get ur remapped and were can i get a hybrid turbo from ?

35. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

RS Tuning in Leeds to both of the above.

36. Hybrid from AET

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

37. Do you have a contact for this ads that can get parts mate ? As I'm looking to take out my solid engine mounts and replace with brand new standard ones. Plus I'm wanting a price on 2 brand new hubs. Thanks

38. He doesn't work for Renault wolves anymore although you can still get parts from them but I'm not sure at what discount now if any.

Renault Parts Direct are really good.

39. Hi mate I'm going to inbox you as I'm going to be starting to forge my Megane after fcs and I don't really want to settle for anything less than close to 400bhp