Steven878's r26 build thread

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by Steven878, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Yeah i'd be right up for a meet with decent weather that we can get a good drive.

I've been on a great drive/meet before which went up the spittal of glenshee and then up Braemar and Ballatar.

That would be some trip again.

2. Small update.

Recently found the car had a fuel leak from the main feed pipe to the fuel rail, so pipe ordered from ads and now sorted!

Also after speaking to Nitron at Autosport i was told that the R1 suspension kit has been scrapped for the megane mk2 and being told the reasons behind its demise, i decided to stay away from the coilover route and just go with the cooksport lowering springs.
    [​IMG]

Also while sorting the fuel leak i noticed a couple of parts were showing signs of age, so placed a order with ads.
    [​IMG]

I'm going to order new front shock absorbers before fitting the springs, but i think iv got a oil leak from the rear of the engine as I'm getting a strange hot burnt smell coming into the cab once the cars up to temp and iv come to a stop.
    Anyone else had this smell issue on their car?

3. The car will look brilliant with the springs on mate.

I remember when I had all 4 mounts changed, it was like a new car.

PM me the demise of the Nitrons I was contemplating them but only if I could sell the V3's

4. Good choice of springs

5. Im looking forward to fitting the springs and finally get rid of the stupid wheel arch gap, but need new front shocks before i fit them.
    iv now got 2 new gearbox mounts, but I'm sure ads will sort me out when he's back to work.

No real secret Mark to the demise of the R1 kit (not Nitron). Nitron had ktecs r26 for a while trying to develop the R1 kit,but found due to the damper dimensions they couldn't develop anything other than a rock hard track trackday only kit with crazy spring rates and virtually no rebound! They told me the dampers piston stroke was compromised and the bearings within the damper were bottoming out, the piston was then not supported correctly and could bend, so they scrapped it and have now developed a R3 3way kit, but costs around £5k all in!

6. Since the decat some times you can smell something when you come to a stop once warmed not all the time though. If that helps..

7. Iv had decats fitted to the megane for around 3 years now mate and never had a smell like this before. Only does it when hot, so must be oil leaking onto the exhaust, but nothing looked that oily last week.
    I did have a small oil leak from the breather box so might be from that...

8. great thread. engine bay is really tastefully done and the carbon bonnet being sprayed is a really great touch.

Dave

9. Thanks mate.
    I like to keep the car looking standard and low key, so the bonnet had to be painted and in my opinion looks great.

10. Aye it certainly is a sleeper lol nice car mate. Like the carbon bonnet painted the same as the car

11. Cheers mate :smile:
    The bonnet really is a nice subtle touch and the weight difference is unbelievable!

Been curious to see if 250 calipers would fit the front of the mk2 and also tempted into changing the front seats and removing the rears for a bit extra power to weight. Lol

12. Aye iv just ordered brakes for myn gtn everything ready for its mot in the next few months. Do you know iv been thinkn the exact same but the misses won't let me take the back seats out lol bt if she would then they would've been out a long time ago. If u want you can get ur bonnet sprayed the same blue as my car and I could give u my wrapped bonnet for a straight swap :tongueout: I don't mind mate ha

13. Nobody ever sits in the rear seats and my missus refuses to drive my car (says im too fussy) so a bucket seat, 3" harness, etc wouldnt matter. Only issues are removing the rear seats will increase the exhaust noise inside the car and iv been told the back end feels very loose in the corners with -100ish kg missing!

Stuff doing brakes for a mot! As long as the car has pads and within brake balance tolerance nothing else matters. Lol.

Ha, The .R bonnet really is a work of art underneath and has to be seen to be appreciated. Luckily i got it from a top bloke on here at a very very good price and it has to be one of my favourite changes iv made to the car. :smile:

14. Aye lucky u I ony have people in the back seats when I pick herself and her mum from work at a weekend that's all. Aye ano but I got te car had new front discs and pads and rear pads bt the discs have been ran on the metel so looks tatty so want them all freshened up I don't do track so ordered drilled and grooved ones. Aye a could imagine it being a bit back end happy so that would be an excuse for a cage for some weight. Aye ano man they are nice bt if u would rather my bonnet I'll be a nice guy and ill swap u I don't even want any extra cash for myn and I would even drive to Edinburgh lmao

15. I don't do track days in the megane, so no need for a cage, i just don't want the rear end breaking loose into corners. Maybe the stiffer cooksport springs will improve handling and allow me to remove the seats, but all this makes it look more focussed and less factory stock.
    rear discs are pretty expensive! Mine are needing replaced soon, but my brake pads still have plenty of life left, so ill change them once the pads are knackered.

haha, iv still got my original bonnet in a shed somewhere. Lol
    markblack has a brand new .R bonnet for sale, but you would need to explain to your partner why youve spent all that money on a black lightweight bonnet! Hana

16. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Mine was running an eTune map, Running standard again now though until i can afford to go to RST or Ecotune for a proper map.......

Love your R26, Will need to get a proper look around it sometime, Only seen it briefly the last time i was at Knockhill when you were up with Mark last summer

17. 100 kilos ? , never had a problem with my old R26 stripped, neither does anyone else on track days for that matter, get them out and go and try it, makes no difference to the handling Steven , sounds mint though

18. Cheers mate.
    Ahh i remember you now :smile:
    Was good seeing you and Mark battling it out on track...his little mk2 goes very well.

Hoping to have the pulsar on track this year, so might even get out on track with yous lads later on this year.

Why did you go back to standard map?

19. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Yeah his surprised me, Should be a bit closer now I'm running a better brake setup and tyres.

The map it had was a bit, How can i put it, Shit. Way down on power compared to other Stage 1 RS250's, Not had it on the rollers to see what it was actually pushing but it was definitely down on power and ran very, very rich so got it off before it done damage, Clutch is slipping now as well so I'm not sure if the map had anything to do with that.

Spoke to another tuner and I'm not the first RS Megane owner to have the same "issues" with a certain map. Infact it isn't just Megane owners either......

20. Cant remember exact weight, but spare wheel, all the plastic, rear bench, tool kit, jack, etc...is it not around 80-100kg?...not really sure about all this weight saving stuff, but must be a decent bit of weight?

Right you've convinced me to try it once iv done the suspension, just hope i can live with that noise from the exhaust. Ha.
    Forgot you had a R26 years ago...A16pse or something like that was your old username?

21. Etune mapped Tams white 250, he attended a rr day at Andrew Gallagher's workshop and the car made 270bhp and he was t amused! He then went to HQ performance where the car went on the rollers, checked for det with headphones, mic's, etc and then run to check the map, he got told it was running around 330bhp at the flywheel and everything was spot on...so in the space of a week he made 60bhp between dynos?

22. Just checked and im way off!...57kg all the rear seats, etc weigh.

23. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

HQ performance rollers seem to run pretty spot on from past experience , Hence SLS are using them as one of their official rollers but Funny how a stage 2 with decat/FMIC IIRC is making similar power to what Paul can get out just a stage 1 map though LOL

I'll be glad to get down to RST or Ecotune if funds are a bit tighter, Both know their stuff and are well regarded, Just need to get my clutch issues sorted first, Seems i am one of the, if not the first to have clutch issues, Started slipping at 26k, Hasn't got any worse though and doesn't do it all the time, Mainly when its cold so i am not even 100% if the clutch is on its way out

24. Get those back seats out Steven, with the OEM+ style of your car a nice lightweight floor with carpet and a strut brace like an .R without the cage would really set it off :cool:

25. I should have a picture somewhere of my old blur one, just get it all out mate, you'll love the wine from the rear brakes

26. Without the rear bar [​IMG]

27. I just put the rear bar in and hung a cargo net down to the hooks on the floor, looked mint , I just used a piece of 6mm MDF board covered in the same colour cloth

28. Something didn't seem right in the figures, for just a decat, as the standard injectors are at 100% duty cycle by 320bhp. Hes now going for a RSTuning hybrid and wanting 350bhp!

Have you carried out a stall test/creep test? Whats the symptoms?

29. That looks really good mate!
    The stripped out interior is starting to grow on me. At this rate ill have the car stripped, buckets seats fitted and at cadwell chasing you and sheep all day. Lol

30. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Stall/creep test?

It will slip slightly in high gears and lower revs if you use full throttle but it doesn't always slip when doing that and does it more often when it's cold outside or the car is cold or has been sitting at motorway type speeds, it doesn't do it much, if at all after you have been giving it death though

I've been eying the hybrid setup as well, want some lightweight track wheels first though LOL

31. Sounds like the clutch is starting to slip....is this on standard map?
    Engine running at a stand still, handbrake on, footbrake applied, put the car in 6th car and lift your foot up slowly, if the car stalls then its still gripping and functioning.
    creep test, similar to the above but i use first gear, so engine running, put it in first gear, handbrake on, but DONT apply the footbrake and depress the clutch, sit for a few moments and if the car moves you have a leak or something thats drawing air.

hybrid on a 250 makes very good power! Cant believe it makes 40bhp more than my setup!

32. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Cheers, will give them a go later and let you know how it goes.

Done it on both the map and stock map.

What sort of leak would it possibly be?
    I'm still dubious as to whether it really is the clutch slipping as there are loads of mapped MK3s running similar/more torque without issues and afaik I haven't heard of anyone else's clutch go.

I guess the vvt is the main reason it makes more power? Iirc your hybrid is the same or very very similar to the new one?

33. Let me know how it goes mate, but it does sound like the clutch....you might get a contribution from renault at that mileage?

The creep test will let you know if theres a fault with the slave cylinder, master cylinder or pipe work to it, but the master or slave cylinger arent going to be doing much unless there sticking on...

A mixture between vvt and port size suppossedly allows it to make more power, but my cams should allow more into the cylinder, due to the lift and duration being alot more than standard.
    My hybrid has the 20T cartridge, HL shaft and turbine wheel, ported wastegate,billet compressor wheel, so its very similar to the rst unit, but iv been told the 250 turbine housing is larger-if its true ill get one fitted. Iv also got a spare cylinder head so might get loads of headwork done and change it over when it needs a timing belt.

34. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Out of warranty now so doubt Renault will be any help, worth an ask though I suppose.

35. definately worth asking mate. Thr car is low mileage and surely isnt out of warranty that long?

36. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

10 plate so almost a year iirc

37. Contact Renault U.K. and tell them your problem, as it might save you a few £££, but saying that the replacement standard part might fail as well.

38. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Will give them an email later on.

Been quoted just under 800quid for it to be done by SWR but thinking of getting the clutch plate updated by competition clutch UK just to be on the safe side

39. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Just in from doing this, Stalled both times when doing so

40. So its still got life left. How high up was the pedal when it stalled?