Steering Universal Joint Bolt

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by ant33t, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Has anyone removed this bolt from their car?

It's circle in red, I can get it out, but the brass fitting won't budge. any ideas?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. The brass bit should drop to the right as you undo the bolt

3. Thanks for the info managed to get it out.

I'm not sure if it's a faulty part or not. I have one end that's very smooth and will roll around in the joint nice and smoothly, and the other end is quite notchy and moves notchy.

Could it be by design or do you think it's faulty?

I have took it out because I have very sloppy steering.

4. i didn't know that short part was removable I assumed whole column out as mine has play in it between that bolt you pictured and the steering wheel somewhere ands it's driving me mad. Do you have a picture of the removed section?

5. Picture show's the whole part, the green end is the bit that's lovely and smooth, no notchy/springy ness, the red end is the top bit, that's springy, notchy.

Thanks.

YfqxQyA.jpg

6. That could be the cause of my creaking steering column amd vague steering too. Hadn't looked at removing top end of that

7. Easyish to remove, just akward.

I am am going to ring Renault this morning and get a price for a replacement, I can see lots of used ones on eBay but they will be coming off tired cars like mine, so I will be doing the job again in 6-12 months time.

My my car has done 67k now, god knows how many times the steering wheel has been turned and that bearing moved, probably hundreds of thousands of times.

8. I bet it's going to be a whole column only from renault. Mines just ticked over 100k so lasted a little longer than yours.

9. Well, I ended up getting the part out... Took the steering uj joint off and one of my bearings up the top had failed.

went for a look around on eBay picked one up for £13 in full working order.

came yesterday, fitted the part and absolutely no slop or vagueness anymore.

like driving a different car now very happy.

renault wanted £200 for a new one btw.

StoatInACoat likes this.
  10. What were the original symptoms?

11. When driving the steering wheel could move by itself as if I was diving it tracks in the road, it always felt as if it was jumping about in my hand and was never still.

12. So you had to constantly oversteer to keep straight? As if something were loose?

I do a lot of motorway driving and dead centre usually means the wheel needs turning more than normal before the steering seems to "bite".

Got my other swivel bearing to do tomorrow and strut mounts/struts/springs/dampers.

I've done the rack bush, droplinks, anti twist links and rear springs and dampers.

See what thy brings.

13. Yes, you word it better than I do, always oversteering to keep the car in a straight line.

If your having all that done mate I would have a crack at the UJ joint, it's easy and will probably fix the problem.

14. Yeah I'm doing it myself. It's just where to get one that isn't tired! Don't fancy new prices. Yours seem tight still?

You bought the whole piece?

15. Mine was purely the joint had worn out and become notchy, the actual donut rubber was fine, the used one I got off eBay was great for 13 quid. Word of warning, try and keep the steering wheel as straight as possible during the process, and the bolt that holds the bottom of the PAS column to the joint that bolt isn't available for Renault, but the bottom bolts and nuts are.

16. You got a part number?
    Any advice on procedure?
    Pictures?
    eBay seller?

No worries if not. Seems quite a few on eBay. Same seller selling loads, same picture, different prices, different part numbers...

17. So I didn't do it via part number, I just made sure they looked the same and the same size when taking the old one out, and putting the new one back in.

procedure is simple, just remove the bolt from the bottom first, push the little brass fitting into the recess, then trace the bolt back to the top of the column, you will need to spin the wheel maybe 90 degrees to ensure you can get to the bolt head, just remember which way you turned it and by how much, because later on you will need to turn it back to refit.

it's a case of 2 X bolts out, and the UJ joint just drops out, replace, rescrew, done.

just be very careful with the line up of the wheels and count the turns, because I didn't and was turning the wheel the wrong way, I got an ESP alarm on the dash, and then I snapped my clock spring in the squib, ended up costing me £130 quid to get a new one.

18. Thanks for the reply! Ok so it's not a case of complete ESP/wheel off then!

I can imagine the ESP and torque sensor being sensitive.

I'll check it out and report back.

Interestingly I asked about this on here before Xmas and no one replied. I'd thought it would have been more common.

19. Slight thread revival here, but I seem to have a bump/notch in my column in my 250. I only really notice it at slow speeds or dry steering, but as I turn the wheel there are little bumps or notches. Is this likely to be the same part issue?

20. Likely to be the steering rack bush in the NS behind the track rod joint.

I didn't ever do anything with mine, lived with it and then eventually changed another swivel bearing and this has taken quite a bit of slack out of the system.

I'd check that rack bush first

RS 175 Cup Lux

Somnambulist likes this.