Steering rack bush fail

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Steve1, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Nope can't change it, no idea how you split the ball joint on the tie bar, so game over good job there was no play in it.

2. No idea how you remove the tie rod from the steering arm, no instructions for that ,

3. Garage charged me 40 quid to fit. Was a no brainer...

4. That's ok if you know someone decent enough to do it, I'd be happy paying £100 , been let down a few time so though I'd have a go myself, we didn't realise that the steering arm unscrewed out the steering rack, was confused as in the instructions there was no mention of splitting the ball joint between the track rod end and the steering rack

5. Liquidf1

Liquidf1 Forum Trader

6. I can see what you do withe that tool we couldn't see how to split the ball joint , not the track rod ball joint the joint where it atatches to the steering arm, how does that joint come apart

7. Replaced mine today along with inner tie rod. Track rod end off, inner tie rod out then followed tfd instructions from Jonny. Was a bit fiddly but not to difficult. Used a set of stilsons from the top to undo the tie rod

8. Yes but there is no mension on how to split the ball joint from the rack arm, that's what confused me.

9. You don't have to split it, it just unwinds off it where the ball joint is housed

10. Ahh still never had the tool and never thought the stillson grips would do , hay oh I'll let a mechanic do it

11. Did you get this done Steve?

Ive just fitted one to my mates diesel. Only took about 30 mins.

Im close to you if you want to bring it over at the weekend, cost you a Mcdonalds breakfast.

Told my mate to google this bush and he has found someone in Romania who makes these bushes and will post to England for £25.

Im going to fit one to mine after driving his with the new bush fitted. Mine is fine but cant hurt for that money.

12. Thanks for the offer mate, but yes I've had it fitted now, shame could of met up for a chat.

13. Steve what symptoms were you having? I got one of these to fit just not too sure what sort of effect it will give me

14. No symptoms but mark black said there was some play, it's certainly stiffened the steering up though

15. Hi guys
    I am the guy from Romania who manufacture the bushes.
    This is the bush for Megane 2 ,Clio 3 and Kangoo( not hidraulic ) P1020192.JPG

Attached Files:

16. 100% agree. Notchy as hell for first 100mi when fitted , but softened up beautifully

17. Does make a noticeable difference

18. Just started to notice the difference with the new bush fitted on my 225 Trophy. Feels like it's added a bit of weight to the steering.

19. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

I need to fit the TFD bush I have, steering is definitely looser than when I bought the car.

20. What is the price of those from you :smile:

21. Got mine ready to fit tomorrow.. Was an advisory on the MOT, so want to do it before it starts to wear the rack. Do you need to make sure its liberally greased when installed I take it!? So its not notchy..?

22. Maybe a stupid question, but is it one bush? And near side?

23. Yeah that's correct.

24. What is it made of?
    I got one off ebay (not from you but 3 times cheaper but lasted only 6 months) they were hspp i think.

Are yours teflon or ?

25. My bush is made by polyamide .It is more durable than teflon . The teflon hardness is 39 and polyamide hardness is 70 , meaning closely to original material of the bush.That way the cost is higher because of the quality.

26. I'd be interested

27. Hi guys

For those who wants to buy the steering rack bush my contact e-mail is cld_antonia@yahoo.com

One bush is 27 euro shipping taxes included. Ten bushes will cost 20 euro shipping taxes free.

For more other informations do not hesitate to contact me .

Keep in touch

Dorian

Attached Files:

Nigelo likes this.
  28. do anybody know if the worn bush would cause play on the drivers side wheel ?? i have play on the passenger side due to the worn bush but also have a fair bit of play on driver side wheel close inspection its coming from the rack i know its not inner arm or tie end because both are new so its got to be the worn bush or the actual rack is worn am i correct ?

29. Axa

Axa

I'm on my way to order a new bushing fore passanger side on our Espace IV. Could nyone tell me if the bushing is identical on Espace and Megane?

Jayu96: Unfortunately I don't know how its supported on the driver side.. I would suspect it got the same design as on Citroen/Renault. I had severe play on the driver side on our Citroën C5. It wore out the driver side tyre very quiclky. The cure was prety simple.. Tightening the 18mm hex key plastic plug behind the steering gear did adjust the play between cog and rack since there was no bushing on that side ..Wich i find odd since that causes vobratins from harsh impacts to cause wear between pinion cogs and rack. When I remove the plug there was some samd soxe grains of yelloish metal I suspect come from the pinion out bearings. I cleaned them out with teflon spray and then pushed in as much high quality greas as I could. It took some adjustment to find a middle way betterb slack and the steering rack binding due to much pressure from the slider under the plastic plug. I've thinking that replacing the blue bumper between plug and sluder might be necessary to get it perfect.. anyone who'd done that?

30. Axa

Axa

It's there anyone here who can confirm if these bushings also fits Espace IV (2007) ?

Sent fra min moto g(8) plus via Tapatalk

31. Hi Axa, this is the bushing for Espace. Megane 2 has a mechanical steering box,and Espace it has a hydraulic steering box.

Attached Files:

32. JJZ

JJZ

i’d be interested in the group buy for one of these as well jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk