Steering Issue... :/

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Ed Doe, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Hi guys,

So i've been having a couple of issues with the Meg since I bought it and started exploring its talents...

At first I was hunting down a cause of the seemingly excessive torque steer. I got both inner rods replaced at Ktec, as well as all 4 tyres, along with tracking. The steering felt more direct after this, but still not quite right...

So I've been pottering it to and from work without really stretching its legs, but today I decided to give it a bit of stick :wink:

It felt understeery on part throttle going into corners, but then it seemed to lurch as it tightened the line when applying more throttle to bring the diff into play.

Similarly the rear felt quite unsettled; seemingly wanting to step out a fair bit when not really being provoked too hard...

There is a definite clonk when going over bumps too now which is getting on my wick, so when I got home I got the car up on a jack one front corner at a time and felt for play...

There is no play whatsoever when pulling/pushing with hands at 6/12, but at 3/9 there is play. I've linked to two videos below showing the driver and passenger play respectively.

The play accompanies a slight click/clonk when wiggled vigorously (giggidy)

There doesn't appear to be any play in the inner rods (as there shouldn't be given they'ev just been replaced! I cant see any in the anti-twist links, and the trackrod-ends don't appear to have any play in them, so I can only assume the effing rack has gone....

Any ideas/confirmation on this?

Videos:

NSF:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2018.27.16.mp4

OSF:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2018.31.02.mp4

So basically, any and all help appreciated guys, I want to get this sorted so i can get back to enjoying how phenominally this car handles normally!!

Cheers

2. There are plastic bushes in the rack which wear and can lead to free play. Apparently a common problem with Meganes as they all use the same rack (but different tie rods). Not sure if you can re-condition the racks, but I believe a new one is around £90 without the rods.

Sounds also like your hub swivel bearings are seized/seizing leading to odd torque steer and dodgy handling. You can get the hubs swivel bearing replaced at various places, I went to mark black but there are others.