Starting problem

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Alan Kaveney, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Just seeing if any one can point me in the right direction with regards to a fault I have with my 250 Cup .
    The car will not start and I get the error code come up on the dash of check injection .
    All I get when I put the key card in is the dash will fire in to life but then pushing the start button nothing will happen and all I get is the relay clicking in the glove box fuse box but the car will not attempt to turn over at all .
    I have used a version of Clip on my OBD2 scan reader and get a injection multiplexed emission missing .
    The battery I have checked and changed for a new one just to be sure and have also checked all the fuses in the glove box and engine bay along with the battery fuse and earth .
    My next thought is that this could be the starter motor / solenoid but I was just seeing if anyone had any thoughts on this before I start looking in to the starter motor .
    Any help would be most welcome .

Attached Files:

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

First of all you need to make sure that the engine is able to turn over, put the car into 2nd and rock it back and forth.

Can you get someone to push the button while you listen in the engine bay for a clunk, if it dose then as you say you have checked the fuses for the starter motor.
    put a volt meter on the connections either side of the one that goes to the battery, on the box at the back of the battery, there should be voltage even with the ignition off.

If all that is good, it's the starter.

Just a thought, you can see the terminals on the starter from the engine bay (just), make sure the car is in Neutral, then with a piece of wire, connect one to the positive of the battery and the other end touch onto the connection with the small wire going to it on the starter.
    If that doesn't work then its the starter.

3. Similar to above, if the engine turns over by hand, I would try bump starting it.
    That'll confirm whether it's the starter or an issue with the starter wiring.

4. Many thanks guys for the information this will be my next move to see if i can rule out the starter motor .

5. So an update on this as i have tested the starter motor using a live feed from the battery + to the small wire on the starter motor and the starter motor cranks the car over but will not start so am i right in thinking the starter motor is ok .

To recap the problem is key card in , foot on clutch , push starter button and all that happens is there is a click from the glove box fuse area and that is it ie the car will not even try and crank .

I have used my scan tool and get multiplexed network not found but im unsure if this is anything to do with the problem . any other things to check as it looks like this could be the start button or glove box relay ?

6. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

replied to your PM