Stage 1 preperation

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by thorpey182, Aug 13, 2013.

1. After 2 years of owning my car, it's time to lavish some love on her. So, stage 1 is on the cards. However, I'm not sure on what other bits to do first to make the remap as efficient as possible, or what is necessary, advisable, or just desirable etc etc. I'm unsure on 2 main areas:

1) Induction - a) standard panel filter
    a) uprated panel filter
    b) standard panel filter & modded airbox + cold air feed
    c) uprated panel filter & modded airbox + cold air feed

2) Intercooler - Necessary? Desirable? Not needed?

Exhaust will have to stay standard as it's too much hassle come MoT time.

Many thanks in advance!

2. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

I have an ITG panel filter lying around. Sure we can come to some sort of agreement :wink:

Cold air feed isn't as vital as it is in an N/A car because the air goes past the hot turbo and then forced through the intercooler before entering the engine anyway.

3. Hadn't thought about that. Would the feed supply more air, or at least less restricted air to the airbox?

I missed another option for the induction too - a complete induction kit.

4. I would get an ITG filter and scrap your airbox personally bud.

5. Stevie

Stevie Events Coordinator

All you need is for it to have been serviced at the service interval and fill it with V Power. No other mods will make any differance.

6. Both a decent panel filter and cooler won't hurt but neither are required. If you want them get them but don't bother pissing about with a cold air feed.

7. Cool thanks for the advice. Think I'll definitely go with a panel filter, I'll have to have a think about the cooler. I just want the map to be as efficient as possible.

8. Lol, if I'd have known that I could've saved a few grand.

9. Stevie

Stevie Events Coordinator

We have had both cars mapped by RS Tuning. Both have stage 1 map. Mine was mapped totally standard and Gillian's had filter and miltek exhaust when mapped. Both ran exactly the same power before and after being mapped.

10. Cooler is a must for me.

I watched 2 standard r26s lose power run after run on the rollers. Mine sustained power run after run with my fmic.

Whats the point in having stage 1 power if you are back to standard power after a few bends?

11. Which cooler do you have mattyw?

12. i (had) a 60mm pace intercooler (no longer have the car)

ktec's ones are made by pace fyi.

13. What are you buying next mattyw?

14. 265 on order!

15. Awesome, thanks very much.