Squeal on start up....**VIDEO**

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by moono16v, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Hi all happened the other day on start up my 250 (52k miles) had a high pitch squeal from a cold start and went away.

Two days later now today, just started it up and it has just done the exact same yet this time every time I blipped the throttle to try and see if this did the same noise it does....the revs make the squeal from the engine bay!

I am not mechanically minded but it's almost like the start of an old crappy transit you hear with a "slipping belt".

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

it sounds as if your alternator drive belt slipping, this could be that the battery is on the way out, at this time of year because of the cold a battery suffers.
    Just for your information, a battery is only about 25% efficient at 0 deg C, that is a new one.
    It could also be that your drive belt has gone hard and therefore slips.

moono16v likes this.
  3. Thanks @ianplymouth

Any reason why it stopped making the noise after 20 seconds even when I stopped blipping the throttle?

so if I bought a new battery would this or potentially stop the noise?

Also if I need to get a new alternator / belt how much are we talking?

4. I think Renault recommends to change the belts every 5 years or 120'000km. So check the belts.
    It might also be a dying water pump. On my old Clio 172 it started with a whining and it sounded to me like a supercharger (lol). It also got louder by pushing the throttle.

5. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

The reason it stops after a short time is that it has brought the battery charge level up, less load, the more a battery is to it's full charge status the lower the voltage difference between the alternator and battery, thus less current = less load from the alternator to the belt.

An 75 amp alternator working at full load draws about 6hp from the engine, or somewhere around that figure.

If it was me and due to the time of year, i would replace the battery.

6. I had my cambelt done at 31,000 in 2013 it's not on 52k??

That was cam and water pump under warranty as I had the "common engine knock" that turned out to be cambelt bearing (I think).

Would they have done alternator belt too?

7. Changing the belts is a hard job. So while you're at it, it's the best to change everything (water pump, tensioner, etc.).

It might be that the belts were faulty from factory.
    Check your manual for the service intervall informations.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk

8. It went away the noise but it's started again. It goes once the car is warmed up here's a video....does anyone have any ideas?

9. Anyone?

10. It just sounds like some ancillary like a belt, or pulley. It's impossible to be more specific I think over the internet.

11. Is it safe to drive until I get it looked at?