Squeaky/noisy break pedal

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by Seb RS, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Hi, a small noise that was driving me mad recently is the brake pedal when depressing. (could barely be heard when pressing for some reasons)
    It's a 15 minutes job that require a flat screwdriver, a torx 35, 13mm spanner and a bit of grease.
    Bear in mind that brakes are safety paramount. If unsure or not qualified, do not proceed yourself and seek professional competence.
    This is what I did to get rid of the noise.

Remove cover above pedal by taking off the 3 plastic clips
    [​IMG]

Lower the front cover to access the butterfly clips located at the back of the cover. Unscrew the butterfly clips until reaching the end of the bolt thread and gently pull it back.
    [​IMG]

Remove the "horseshoe" shape circlips by sliding it. Remove the yellow shaft by pushing it.
    [​IMG]

Unscrew bolt/nut
    [​IMG]

Your pedal is now off and this is when I could clearly see where the noise was coming from
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As this parts of the pedal can not be disassembled, I used a thin bit of plastic to pack much grease as I could between the 2 moving parts.

The top shaft where the bolt go through is nylon/teflon I give it a clean and did just use a smear of vaseline.
    [​IMG]

Before reconnecting the lower shaft, ensure pedal move freely up and down.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Use a smear of grease where the lower shaft connect.
    [​IMG]

Wen inserting the yellow lower shaft and horseshoe circlips, ensure the circlips is properly engaged onto the groove.

Put back the cover in opposite order that it has been taken off and the noise should be gone.

2. Oh dear,

I did put nice pictures using flickr but it doesn't seems to work :cry:
    Any tuto how "put picture on thread for dumbs" appreciated

3. Bring up the image on flickr
    on the right is an arrow pointing right, click on it
    Then click on the URL=https link
    then right click on it
    then go to your post, right click and then click on the paste button

4. I'll try again with pictures attached this time.

Remove cover above pedal by taking off the 3 plastic clips
    IMG_20210222_125536.jpg
    Lower the front cover to access the butterfly clips located at the back of the cover. Unscrew the butterfly clips until reaching the end of the bolt thread and gently pull it back.
    IMG_20210222_125716.jpg
    Remove the "horseshoe" shape circlips by sliding it using a flatblade screwdriver. Remove the yellow shaft by pushing it.
    IMG_20210222_125932.jpg
    Unscrew bolt/nut. There is a hole in the side plate that hold the throttle pedal for accessing the brake bolt. With the right torx it can be accessible otherwise remove the 2 bolts holding the throttle pedal for better access. (Yes I know the yellow shaft should be off on this picture)
    IMG_20210222_125946.jpg
    Your pedal is now off and this is when I could clearly see where the noise was coming from
    IMG_20210222_131251.jpg
    IMG_20210222_131316.jpg
    As this parts of the pedal can not be disassembled, I used a thin bit of plastic to pack much grease as I could between the 2 moving parts.

The top shaft where the bolt go through is nylon/teflon I give it a clean and sprayed with silicone.
    IMG_20210222_132216.jpg

Before reconnecting the lower shaft, ensure pedal move freely up and down. Ensure the bracket is sliding over the brake lever when depressing the pedal.
    IMG_20210222_132713.jpg

IMG_20210222_132729.jpg

Use a smear of grease where the lower shaft connect.
    IMG_20210222_132821.jpg

Wen inserting the yellow lower shaft and horseshoe circlips, ensure the circlips is properly engaged onto the groove.

Put back the cover in opposite order that it has been taken off and the noise should be gone.

BillyA likes this.