250 Squeaking/Creaking at low speeds

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by noshadow, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Over the last couple of weeks I've sometimes been hearing quite a loud squeaking/creaking noise from the near side front wheel when turning at low speed. I generally hear it when I'm applying full lock, going from full lock to full opposite lock and the like.

I have an extended warranty with my local Arnold Clark garage so I took it up to them this morning, but all they could find was that the heat shield was loose. They said this should stop it rattling, but obviously rattling wasn't the problem I took it to them with. The mechanic said he couldn't recreate any squeaking noise so I took it for a test drive with him and the noise was still there but I could only recreate it once. He got a can of something and sprayed around my pedals, but I doubt this has sorted it because I'm pretty sure it's coming from nowhere near where he was spraying! He did mention something about the RS having "fancy hubs" and it could be the bearings, he also mentioned about these being expensive.

Has anyone had a similar problem and able to offer some insight?

2. Is it deffinately coming from that low down? Have you tried recreating the noise with your windows open? I know the seals often creak/squeak might be worth ruling them out first.

3. I'm fairly sure it is. When I first noticed it I got someone to turn the wheel while I crouched down next to the wheel and I'm sure it was coming from that area, I'll check it again later on though.