Sponsored By:  

Spring Rates

Discussion in 'Track Days & Track Driving' started by papps, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Alright chaps,

Quick show of hands - has anyone here had experience in running a lower spring rate on the front than the rear?

For example Running 6Kg on the Front Springs, and 8Kg on the rears?

Just for reference OEM spring rates on the R26.R Springs were 7.2kg on the front and 6.1kg on the rear - that is the only MRS that I can find OEM rates for.

2. I have with the AST's on my 197 Cup.

I had AST Sportline II and their 'track bias' kit was 80n/mm front and 110n/mm rear
    Their 'Road bias' kit was 50n/mm front and 50n/mm rear

Some pics...purely because I loved that car and miss it
    :blush: ( I think KamRacing still use one of my pics on their page for the ASTs too:cool:smile:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Didn't know you had lightweight OZs on the 197 cup as well mark - what a car, and hilarious when you break the news to everyone in the pit that the engine is totally std lol

4. Any ideas what the weight distribution is of the 197 cup mark?

Pretty sure I read that the R26.R had a ~64/36 split Front/Rear.

The springs you had on the clio were:

Front: 456lb (8Kg/mm)
    Rear: 628lb!!!! (11kg/mm)

How was this in the weton track?

5. Yeah that wee car was a brilliant bit of kit, I also had AP Racing 310mm two piece discs on it.

It was always totally planted, so communicative and very adjustable.
    I take it you'll have followed RWD and 4WD cars at Knockhill where at Clarks you can see them adjusting the line mid corner with ease a couple of times and thought how the hell can't this Megane do that lol ???
    Well the Clio became like that after that suspension kit and having Kenny Brown set it up, trail brake in with little throttle adjustments mid corner made it so much fun and very very capable.

Don't get me wrong it could be provoked into controllable lift off oversteer very easily and the rear would obviously snap on you if you were driving it like a tit but drive it properly and it just clung on in there. Also the droop on the rears was spot on imo

No hassle on a wet track, set everything to full soft and work from there.

6. Johnson

Johnson Banned

The clio cup race cars have something like 700lb front and 1100lb rear springs! Proven to corner quicker rotating into corners and with a little lift off oversteer