Sports cat

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by PTMRS, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Hi guys!
    In your opinion which is the best Sports cat?
    I've seen from Cobra, Gt Performance, KTR, etc.
    They are all different, but is it really that much of a difference when it comes to MOT?
    I live in Germany and here they are very restricted when it comes to changes without CE registration.
    I want to buy a Sports cat, but I don't want to have problems later with MOT (Tüv).
    Or it won't be worth having a Sport Cat just to have an extra "pair of horses".
    I already have a full Milltek exhaust line, Wagner Tunning Intercooler, K&N, BOV Forge, and it's already remapped.

2. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

does the cat have to have TUV approved or something?

3. Same question from me. That job is waiting for me in the spring. What happens to the noise. i guess with the sports catalytic the noise in the cabin is higher.
    How much noisier than oem.

4. The Cobra one has been working flawless for me for two years now. Fitted it without any problem using the OE exhaust line. Exhaust gases in tolerance when MOT time (ITV here in Spain) 0,24% CO when iddle and 0,08% CO when 3k rpm. The car has a very light remap fitted by the previous owner maybe around 240hp I guess but hard to know. I don't have any graph sadly.
    The most noticeable change was the engine response wich is a bit quicker getting in boost but I also fitted an ITG panel filter and 70mm Airtec intercooler at the same time so hard to know how much it changed because cat only however I haven't tuned it yet since I istalled everthing so you can extract a little more performance of them with a decent tune for sure.

The exhaust sound didn't have a noticieable change in my experience but the intake became a little bit louder and some nice turbo sounds appeared with the ITG panel filter hehe.

5. Did you at one point only have sport cat without ITG panel ?
    it scares me that itg is so noisy that you don't notice the difference in sound.

6. The Sport cat does not have any type of approval, despite having the CE mark, but as you don't see, and as long as the exhaust gas values are correct, they won't say anything about it! unless it makes a lot of noise and they will see what is mounted on the car!but my problem is not the noise, I have the exhaust line with a resonator, and it is approved, the problem is all the work I have to change the catalyst for the sport cat and then fail at TÜV

You will notice that the car makes more noise, and will depend a lot on the exhaust line you have! makes more pops and bangs and makes the sound more aggressive at high revs.

But in England they can go somewhere where they do the MOT and talk to "the friend" and the car doesn't fail!I don't know how it works there in Spain!?
    But in Germany, since the VW group scandal with the exhaust gases, they are tighter in that respect.

matt e likes this.
  7. @Filo I didn't tried them separately :pensive: I just wanted to finish the job and drive my car hehe.

The main differences come when you lift the thorttle or you spool the turbo, some "squoshy" sounds coming from induction box. If you drill some 12/15mm holes in the bottom of the induction box, the noises will became more evident almost like having a cone filter.

8. With exhaust gases, If you miss, you miss. With other stuff, you can pass if you have a friend or the operator doesn't know a thing what normally happens the most.

9. I personally would not bother messing with the cat on a daily driven Meg. A lot of hassle for very little gain especially in a strict country like Germany. You can get very impressive power figures with the standard cat, so it is not as restrictive as the internet makes it out to be.

10. I also had this idea, but I would like to take full advantage of the engine's potential, despite being a daily car.
    In Germany they also use Sport cat, but the prices I have seen are absurd... all near to £ 900 and in the end, they are all 200 cells, but from HJS and Wagner.

11. Yes, I know that! But are the "measures" used in England and Germany, Spain etc. so different?
    Would a car in England that passes MOT, go through in Spain or another country without any problems??

12. Don't really know... I guess the exhaust gasses will be the same values more or less all over UE. They dont sell specific aftermarket high flow cats for each market, for each legislation. Normaly TUV approved items will work fine for each individual country and you have to pay for that quaility I guess. In this case, the Cobra doesnt have TUV I think

13. Currently in exact same position as you. I am considering GT-performance one, know guy who has it installed, but hasn't been in touch with him yet. But he said, he passed MOT regular way without any problem (which means no dashboard light and emissions within allowed range, no one cares what is installed on car, if you pass emissions), but i need to re-confirm it.

My only unanswered question is: Does it need re-tune if you do the swap, or is it just "nice to have" optimalisation, but it is not necessary.

14. Sport cat may have TÜV, but it may not be legal, or better, it may not be authorized by the entities of each state (in the case of Germany). Because each state "has" its laws, and it varies from state to state.

If you pass the MOT without a problem, it's always good ... but if it makes more noise than usual, they will see everything from the front to the back.
    The light on the dashboard may appear or not, it will depend on each car. I already had a downpipe(before) and almost direct line in my car, and there was never any light, and I still drive it for some time until I remappe the car.
    It is always better to remap the car, with sport cat, downpipe or other material, so you can get more out of the engine and the installed material, but it is not necessary to be the next day.