250 Sports cat vs decat

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by -Chris-, Jun 27, 2016.

1. I'm after an opinion, ideally from someone who has had both, on how they compare.

I know one will pass the mot and the other won't. I don't need reminding of that.

Is the hassle of finding a friendly mot tester worth it? Or does it get through the mot as is or do you swap back for MOTs. Is there much difference between the two performance/noise wise to warrant finding a friendly mot tester.

Is the extra capital cost for the sports cat over the decat worth it.

I know these are a pita to change so swapping over at mot time isn't ideal.

Finally, which one do you have. How much was it. Was is a direct fit. How much to fit and did you have to have it mapped after.

Cheers

2. hi mate, i've got a decat on mine and had a sports cat on my R, i'd go for a sports cat given the choice now, a lot less hassle come mot time, bit more sound and a some extra lb/ft with the decat .

3. I have a sports cat although never had a decat. With the sports cat it does sound better and gives better flow than standard cat. Plus no worries at MOT time about emissions. Worth it in my opinion!

4. Would you think about gutting the inside of a stock cat(alytic converter, in case we have any dodgy types reading) - not as much flow as a proper decat pipe, but probably better than a sport cat, and no MOT time hassle...?

5. Just the same problems at mot time as a decat it won't pass the emissions test

Sent from my HTC Desire EYE using Tapatalk

6. Im interested in this also as at some point I would love a de-cat but I feel that a sports cat is a far more sensible option as regards MOT. It's just a shame that the sports cats are so damn expensive in comparison!

7. cgrautomotive

cgrautomotive RSM Trader

It depends on how often you plan on taking it on and off, for an example we sell decats for £200 and sports cats for £375 for thr Megane's yielding a £175 difference. I know some places charge more than £175 to swap the cat pipe on the Megane's as it's a pain to do.

If you'd be interested in a full system we could do a turbo-back system for you with the sports cat mounted on a set of v-bands under the car so you can easily swap it on and off again for an MOT. Would take about 10 minutes to do the swap and you could do it on your drive.

8. For me i would defo go for the spors cat if i have to choose again. Acutally i bought decat pipe only because i got it so cheap from the eBay auction. I think the most annoying thing with the decat is the smell of the exhaust fumes actually, and ofcourse finding a friendly MOT tester. As my tuner who remapped the car told me that the 200cel sports cat isnt actually holding back much power if all, im going to install one universal 200cel cat under the car (right before the flexi pipe). So you have the option of installing decat pipe and install one 200cel cat later under the car if you are planning to remove it and install it because of the MOT (like the post above).

9. That sounds like a really good idea. Sadly I don't think I can afford a compete new system at the moment though.

Some good responses so far.

mattwade24 likes this.
  10. cgrautomotive

cgrautomotive RSM Trader

11. Soz, being from NI we must have different tests. Due to the variation in cars, the permitted emission levels at MOT here can easily be passed with a healthy engine. Its just a visual check for the CAT then.

12. I have a decat and I rate it highly. The Meg is my daily and it doesn't drone, isn't really loud (in fact I took the seats out to hear it more) or smell particularly bad.

I also have a friendly MOT tester.

Nigelo likes this.