Sports cat or decat on ti system

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Steve1, Oct 16, 2014.

1. I've heard a sports cat with the ti system and thinking of getting one, would a decat be much louder or stick with the sports cat
    cheers Steve

2. Decat will always be louder.

3. Yeh but will it be too loud, dont want it to do my head in with pops and bangs all the time

4. No it's not much louder Steve. The issue will be if you have a friendly mot tester.
    Lee

5. Pops and bangs always sound nice steve :wink:

6. As if I wouldn't know one of those lee, their arnt many contacts I don't have .

7. I'll see if I can hear one on YouTube, like I say sports cat isn't over the top at all so may just go with that.

8. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

Not louder bar startup. When the engine is warming up its more guttural if that makes sense. It's the same on boost. Such a raw and focused sound though.

9. Its not that loud in the cabin Steve tbh. Not much more than standard from what I remember.

10. Loved my decat on my old megane Steve. As Lee and Naith have said it's not much louder just a deeper tone is produced. I'll be getting another one for the 265.

11. I'd love to hear a decat on the Ti system though

12. Would sound amazing, but will drone on a long journey.

13. Someone must have done it ?

14. You would of thought so, sunnylyn has the sports cat so I know what that sounds like , done enough track days with him

15. Only one solution Steve. Stick the Ti on mine for an afternoon ? I have the decat.

16. Ahh good idea

17. Going sports cat, I'll speak to Paul and get one ordered along with a forge recirc valve , drive in drive out job, also map tweak I think

18. Go decat! It's not like the .r is a daily and doing shit loads of miles.

19. Never heard one Dan, dont want to loose the ti sound mate ,

20. Remember all the ones that went bang had decats, its the torque gain low down, massive spike of it. Although if you got paul to tweak the map and limit the torque should be ok!

21. Is it essential to remap the car after a decat? Do they flatspot like the clios etc?

22. Think I'll be going for a sports cat and as for bhp and torque I'll be asking Paul to map it back up as it is 260 bhp and 270lbs, infant I might even get him to match the torque to the bhp so 260 all round, never been power hungry, it's purely for a little more noise to get the best from the Ti system, anyone know what cell cat is fitted standard.

23. You mean limit it below 300

24. Not sure but the 200 cell sports cat will be at least half as restrictive as the standard unit I'd imagine.

25. Sports cat Steve, even I'm looking at them.

If I had the money id buy a ti system.

26. Yer i would bud

27. I once put an induction kit on my Scoob, as part of several changes I was doing. Did I need one, probably not, but I liked it so I bought it.

Driving it home after having it fitted, I was shocked by how noisy it was. Whooosh! Whooosh! I thought I would not be able to live with it, let alone what the wife would think (it was our family car).

A few days in and I could hardly hear it any more and everyone thought it sounded great.

What I am saying is, regardless of whether you think it is noisy when you get it, you will soon take it as "normal" and it will not be an issue. So go for it.

28. It should be done yes.

29. I would request that the torque is reduced in the way it comes on. Its a near vertical "curve" once on. It can be stepped up more gradually. I think its symptomatic of a small turbo TBH