250 Spark Plugs

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by jack250, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Alright chaps. Going to service the car soon and only ever done oil and filter myself, not spark plugs.
    I’m going to get standard plugs from Renault so is it just a case of taking the old ones out and putting the new ones in? What torque etc do they need to be? Cheers

2. I just hand tighten them then do 1/4 turn.

Make sure it's clean around the ignition coils before pulling them out or crap can fall down into it.

jack250 likes this.
  3. Lovely jubbly

4. I found they run better when gapping them from the standard 0.9 down to 0.6.

5. 25-28Nm

6. Yeah gap to 0.6, and hand tighten mine too

7. how do you gap them down without damaging them. Do you notice a difference

8. Gap tool..... There is meant to be less chance of the engine blowing the spark out

9. Surely you don't need to gap the standard plugs from Renault. Not having that

10. I was told to change to a different plug and gap it to 0.6 for remapping, as it helps with the fuel burning with the extra boost.

Matthewdemin likes this.
  11. I think you should give Paul a ring at RSTuning and tell him he is stupid and does not know what he is doing....

12. Presumably for a stock 250 the Renault spark plugs are fine out the box and don't need gapping to 0.6? Only for mapped cars?

13. This is what i was about to ask Dan. Or would the standard car run 'better' with gapped plugs?

14. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Of course you have to gap them from new. Don't be fooled into thinking they all come correctly gapped in the first place. My last set came and not one of them had the same gap [emoji23]

jack250 likes this.
  15. Tools ordered haha

16. Got a genuine renault service set sat here waiting to fit - with a full set of plugs
    Checked them and every one is exactly 0.7 on the feeler gauges

I aint mucking around with them for a 10th of a mm lol

17. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

You'd be surprised what a difference that 0.1 of a mm makes, especially if its tuned

18. It's got the usual RSTuning pre-made map thrown on it
    But I've never noticed any problems with the plugs that are in

19. Bumping an old thread here.

I’m getting my Plugs changed on Tuesday and will get them gapped to 0.6mm as most people have suggested this. Only thing is I had my car mapped by RS Tuning about 5 years ago, will it be okay to still do this? Might be a silly question

20. for sure absolutely gap them to 0.6mm, as always be super gentle bending the earth tip as can induce metal fatigue later on

21. what about a R26?...mine runs 270hp..what gap should the plugs be on it?

22. If it’s been remapped and has more fuel flowing into cylinders then makes sense beef up spark with smaller gap

23. What’s the benefit of gapping the plugs to 0.6 mm? Also what are they gapped at from factory?

24. Smaller gap = stronger spark can resist flame been blown out with extra fuel from 630cc injectors
    Factory gap is 0.8mm

25. Ah ok makes sense, talking modified engines?

26. what about standard injectors?..should it still be 0.6mm for the mk2?

27. Hi all,

Where's the best place to buy some OEM spark plugs? Renault parts direct?

28. No reason not to, can go to 0.4mm for even stronger but 0.6 is optimal for these engines

andrewjeffs likes this.
  29. You all recommend to use oem Renault plugs with gap 0.6?
    I have full stage 2

30. I was told to use NGK BKR8EIX and gapped to 0.6mm, had these in 4 different forged engines now not had a problem.

31. Hello guys!
    I am planning to install a hybrid turbo st2. Maybe there are plugs that will fit without reducing the gap?

32. You need to reduce the gap to get a stronger spark, higher boost tends to blow out or reduce the spark if they are set as standard.

33. And you also recommend to make it for stage2?

34. Yes for sure, mine was running close to 400hp and were spot on, also had them in before the tuning bits were added

35. but how to make the correct gap
    Could you show me tool I needed

36. those NGK BKR8EIX are indeed a top quality plug very suited to tuned engines, use a hotter BKR7EIX if just hanging around McDezz car parks

37. Thanks. I ordered already
    Tommorow get it and change the gap

38. I ordered today that plugs. I have a question
    Is it possible to use them without changing the gap?
    I'm afraid it might break off

39. I have gapped 100's and 100's of plugs and have never had one break, as long as your not an animal with it you will be fine :laughing::laughing:

BillyA likes this.