Spacers and Effect on Handling

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Ed Doe, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Afternoon everyone,

I have been debating fitting spacers to the Megane, as I like how they look, but am principally concerned with the effect this will have on handling.

I was planning on using these 5mm hubcentric spacers; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200972738472?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I assume they will fit the Megane, but would be grateful if someone could confirm this!

My thoughts had been that as I'm spacing out all the wheels by equal amounts, the car will handle broadly the same... I suppose answering this question will be harder still as most have the John Seal spacers, which were 20mm(?) at the rear and 7mm(?) at the fronts. To my mind this would leave the car more prone to understeer due to the greater increase in track at the rear, but again I'm open to correction!

Finally, the spacers i'd be looking to fit are only 5mm, would I need to increase the wheel bolt length, or would I get away with using the standard wheel bolts?

Any input appreciated!

Cheers

Ed

2. Anyone?

Can anyone confirm just if I need to upgrade the bolts? At £40 I can take a punt on them and see how they feel on the car if no one has any prior experience or comments relating to handling with spacers!!

What is the thread length and bolt type for the standard bolts?

3. I'd rather not get in to the inevitable debate spacers cause, but 5mm spacers will do naff all to handling.

4. Haha thanks Grumps :smile:

Any ideas on the thread length of standard wheel bolts and if I'd need to buy longer ones?

5. Technically you'd need bolts that were 5mm longer! Not sure on the exact science of it but you'd need to work out how many threads were in the hub. For an m10 bolt I'd want at least 10mm of thread in.

6. I think steve has 5mm shims on the front of his r26r which I believe he used std bolts on to before he done the nut and bolt conversion which... nice find on the spacers I've added them to my watch list lol

7. I've bought some 20mm rears and 10mm front. Don't do Trackdays so doesn't bother me too much

8. Im using a Jon Seal spacer kit, no noticeable effect, infact im thinking about putting the 20mm on the front and getting bigger for the rear.

9. I have 5mm Renaultsport Clio Cup Racer alloy spacers and 5mm longer TPI black wheel bolts

10. I have 25mm up front on the clio and handling doesn't seem to have been affected on track although wheel bearings lasted 15k :worried:

11. Were the bearings new(ish)?
    I say this because on my 182, I went from the oem 16s 10kg~, to volk CE28s which weigh 4.3kg.
    The offset remained the same and hub rings etc were used.
    Rear bearings went 8-10k later. If anything, there'd have been less stress on them with the new wheels.

So perhaps yours were on their way regardless?

Currently running ktec 19mms rear and 10mms on the front of my r26.
    FYI correctly fitted spacers are the same as just running lower offset wheels...and people are fine with that.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  12. Exactly the tottal ET is what matters