225 Some trouble with Brembo 4-pots

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by TurboJ, May 13, 2019.

1. Doing a light overhaul on a 225 and I've a couple of questions seeing as I've never worked with this type of brake caliper before (the Brembo four pots).

Sure enough someone had overtighthened one of the bleed screws so it shredded the threads on the caliper body when trying to loosen - nothing to be done, it was already cross threaded when fitted the last time (good job main dealer...) Anyhow, some people have used various fixes for rethreading an aluminium caliper. Any of you guys have any experience with this? A normal helicoil job wouldn't fill me with confidence. A normal "bore bigger and tap bigger" might ruin the mating surface ( the conical shape on the bottom of the hole which corresponds with the screw having a conical tip).

Another question; the car has servicable OEM brake pads on these Brembos (interestingly made by Ferodo although genuine Renault parts). Now, one of the inner front pads was sitting REALLY tight. Had to use a punch and a hammer to get it loose... Ideas what might be causing this? I can't see any damage/deforming on the caliper, but the pad seemed to have a rough edge where it was sticking the worst. Just clean it and sand it down some, should be fine...?

And a last one, how would you judge the need for a new set of caliper pins? The OEM stuff apparently corrode and they're priced insanely; OTOH I'm now having only very light surface rust starting to appear on otherwise shiny pins. If I do decide to fit a new set, are the Mintex ones from RPD any good?

Thanks in advance!

2. In regards with bleeding screw, try to contact biggred, they used to fixing that kind of issue, for pins i usualy sand with 240 grit to clean them and they fine, another menber here makes them in Stainless Steel if you wish. but Tbh if they come out ok i wouldn't bother,
    Pads sticking might be accumalation of dirt and pads deposit, a good clean of the pads mating surfaces should sort it no trouble

TurboJ likes this.
  3. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

TurboJ likes this.
  4. Thanks guys, that's some good advice. I guess the M12 thread is the way to go. Will have to check local availability of quality machine shops.

5. Hi,
    How can i take out the old pins from the callipers?
    I tried but i cant to take them out.

6. The only way i found is to cut them, cut the pin just inside near the caliper, the centre bit will drop out, then using a parallel punch knock the outside one in, this one doesn't really stick much.

Once the outside bit is out then you can put the punch through the outer hole and so you can hit the other bit straight.

You will need some new pins though :laughing::laughing::laughing:

7. Thank you, yes i have new pins :grinning: