275 Slight Misfire

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by NotaDiesel!!!, Oct 23, 2022.

1. I have noticed recently when I put my foot down I get a stutter at 4-5k revs. Only seemed to be on this recent tank of fuel.

It seems to be:

1. With sport button pushed.
    2. Between 4-5k Rpm
    3. In Gear 3 above. Is there boost by gear?

Does not happen every time.

Now the car is a Megane 275. 6 years old. 22k miles. Just had service about 2 months/3k ago with Cambelt /plugs/oil/filters everything for the 6 year service. And is running best economy every on a run easily over 40mpg. Had a big trip to Scotland 2 months ago where I did 2k in a week. All steady motorway miles with low revs. Only done 500 miles since then.

But I do hardly any miles. Typically 200 miles in a month and then a couple of big runs in the year. So fuel gets to 3-4 weeks old before I fill half a tank ( Sains Super so 97 Ron/E5). May sit 4-5 days then be used for school run in very heavy traffic. Say 3 miles taking 30 mins. With Stop/Start potentially kicking in. In between I may move about on my drive. Start. Move. Stop.

I looked on line and it says things like thermostat, coils, fuel filter, plugs/gap.

Does it just need driven hard to get everything warm and worked through? Multiple pulls to hard revs. "Italian Tune Up"

I am getting down this tank so will run it down & put some proper 99 see if that makes a difference.

2. As you say I would maybe run down the tank and put a full tank of v power or similar and see if the slight misfire dissappears. Was it all genuine parts used when it was serviced plugs/etc ?

3. Yep. Everything Genuine. Done at KTEC.

Car not mapped either. Everything std.

Christopher carenduff likes this.
  4. My mate had a slight misfire intermittently in his 265 and after his thermostat was changed the misfire was no longer present. He had a issue with his secondary coolant pump that was also rectified at the same time. His car runs alot better now.

5. Misfire got much worse at weekend and threw up a code for Misfire on Cylinder 2.

It turned out to be a Crack in the plug. The Mechanic that changed them though they looked older than the 3k/6 months they had been in because of the ceramic discolouring. But the actual electrodes look good even the one on the duff plug.

Never seen iridium plus before. Spikey.

IMG_0576s.JPG IMG_0577s.JPG

E-A and Christopher carenduff like this.
  6. Glad you got it sorted and back running the way it should.

7. Yep definitely pleased back running as it should.

8. Also had a lumpy idle fluctuated 100 rpm up & down when cold. Now very steady.

Did the Coils as well as plugs.