Single mass flyweel options

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Corey, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Really? On the website the kit is like £1000+!

2. That's for the full helix setup, you can get just a smf on its own mate, which is what I want to do and then add the R26R clutch & slave cylinder from elsewhere.

3. Just make sure you get the right clutch to suit the flywheel, as there is 2 different ttv flywheels

4. Thanks for the heads up Steven

5. No probs. you want the later .R clutch which is 20% stronger

6. Not sure how a slave cylinder and clutch adds up to £700 though. A clutch kit is surely £300 tops?

7. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

I am pretty sure TTV will point you in the direction of K-tec... I tried contacting them on the first instance.

8. You don't get a slave cylinder with the Helix kit. You get the SMF, organic clutch & uprated pressure plate.

The kit can be had for a good bit less than £1k too.

9. I contacted them direct Gray and they were spot on

10. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

When I spoke with them 18months ago they said it was an exclusive product avaliable through k-tec only.

11. Month / 6 weeks ago tops for me buddy.

12. Was the price much different to ktecs advertised price Andy? Pm if you don't wish to say in public, although I'm sure we can all guess :wink:

13. Short answer is I dont know. I only enquired for the full clutch kit.

14. Ahh ok mate, hopefully they'll respond to my email quickly or it'll be the rstuning smf for me, I'm against the clock, driving like a granny is no fun.

15. Got a reply from TTV today and they pointed me in RStunings direction to get their R26R smf, so that's what I've ordered, should be with me tomorrow. R clutch and new slave cylinder should be on its way soon as well, then off to Mark black.

Thanks again folks.

16. Dan@519

Dan@519 RSM Trader

DMFs are used to make new expensive cars a little nicer and smoother for people paying 10s of thousands for them brand new off the forecourt. Its something that doesn't matter to those of us who want to get a cheap (relatively) fast car and make it faster, we're spending a fraction of the new cost and don't expect the refinement level that a new car buyer does.

Another similar thing I used to deal with on jap cars was hydraulic dampers in the clutch line, this did a similar job and slowed down how quickly you could disengage the clutch (basically slipping it for a second) to make uptake of the gears smoother. One of the best things I did on my 200sx was bypassing this with a custom hose from Hose-solutions, clutches lasted miles longer too.

17. My E36 had one of these. Thing to do was clamp the hoses, unscrew the "clutch delay valve", drill it out and refit.
    Horrible, pointless little device.

18. What does TTV stand for, also is the R26.R SMF an actual Renault part or is it the same as the normal SMF that k-tec sells

19. TTV racing are the company that make them have a quick Google. The single mass fly is an after market part as the cars came with a dual mass unit as std. That's the item that's the weakest link, hence why I'm going the single mass route. BUT, the smf for the R26R is different to the R26 one and as such you need to match up the correct clutch, hence why I'm getting the R smf flywheel and the R clutch rather than a std R26 clutch as it wouldn't fit. Plus the clutch in your car the R, has a %20 better clamping rate so is better mate.

20. Corey when you have got everything fitted could you write up what it is like, along with the list of parts, prices, and where you got them from please?

I will need to do the same soon!

21. Yep will do mate, should be fitted on the 23rd of this month so I'll update the thread just after.

22. It'll no doubt be a matter of time until I'll need to get mine done too, so a list of prices, parts etc would be fantastic. Mr Black will be getting a call when it needs doing :tongueout:

23. Mine started slipping in sixth about a year ago has done two track days since and still drives fine 90% of the time!

24. Guys, it´s a long long time ago, would be anyway interested about the experiences with SMF.....most likely on MRS 3...did anybody fit one and can tell about ? What clutch friction plate should be needed ?